Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Realistic/simulated acceleration and throttle response?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 03:01 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Realistic/simulated acceleration and throttle response?

I have a dx5 pro that the toggle swich is set to limit the max throttle to 30%,60% and 100% similar to a 3speed but it dosent hurt to hit it on the fly, which might tear up a real 2 speed.

With a throttle curve you could add little jumps that might feel like shifting. Would probably just be anoying though.

All of this can just be done with your finger too...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2019, 07:14 AM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post

All of this can just be done with your finger too...
Of course, but picture driving a full-scale 4 cylinder Jeep Wrangler or Toyota pickup. They probably take 10 seconds or more to get to 60 mph, and that's with a bunch of furious flooring and hard shifts. That's the kind of driving experience I (and I assume the OP) want to simulate.

Another example is near the end of this Dirt Every Day episode I just watched where they nearly blow the motor trying to get the jeep over some small rocks. I want to simulate that struggle!

https://www.motortrendondemand.com/d...ge/1_915qsmw2/
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:50 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Some radios have a throttle speed option. You pull the trigger and it slowly ramps up to that speed.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:40 AM   #24
I wanna be Dave

I still think a centrifugal clutch is the only way to get close, they make them for rc nitro cars and can probably be adapted. It will Basicaly remove the low end torque from the mix. That and a multiple speed setup. Or you could actually run a nitro setup, maybe you could eve tune the exhaust to sound slightly toyota like.

Electronically it wouldent be very impressive because the motor won't have struggling noise. Maybe a sound box could fix it. Simply increasing the time it takes for the motor spool up won't cut it, neither will torque limiting.

There are bycacles that have centrifical transmissions that shift based of centrifical force, that with a 80t 540rc motor will be gutless and a speed range.

Because of the situational instances like low gear 1:1 crawling having massive wheel torque the transiting to 0-60 torque. It's difficult.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 05-06-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:08 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Solution: a 100% electronic solution, so if you had a programmable esc (I don't think the mamba x can do this) , you could assign each gear or profile with an aux wire(like driver profiles in spektrum remotes) .

Esc Profile 1: 1st gear - 0% torque limiting, 100% punch 20% throttle range.
Esc Profile 2: 2nd gear - 20% torque limiting, 80% punch 40% throttle range.
Esc Profile 3: 3rd gear - 40% torque limiting, 60% punch 60% throttle range.
Esc Profile 4: 4th gear - 60% torque limiting, 40% punch 80% throttle range.
Esc Profile 5: 5th gear - 80% torque limiting, 20% punch 100% throttle range.

You would also need a Chanel on the remote to assign to up/down shifting.

You could even program the esc to when x rpm is met to shift up or down for an automatic transmission if you are using sensored brushless motors.

You could build a hardware channel output coming off the esc to connect a sound box to, so that the sound box reacts to the esc output and can Rev up in 1st gear, then reduce the rpm 50% when it shifts. Instead of the traditional based of throttle pull.

This is all pipe dreams though, never going to happen...

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 05-06-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
This is all pipe dreams though, never going to happen...
You describe multiple ways it could be done, but then say it can't be done. This seems like an aspect of scale driving that hasn't been explored very much yet, and there are definitely people in the R/C community that could make the tricky stuff happen. We can do eeet!

I don't know if OP is still around but I appreciate all the ideas floating around in this thread. I could definitely see some elements working their way into a future build of mine, especially the 380 motor on a 3 speed because that would be so easy.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:44 PM   #27
RCC Addict

I think this entire discusson is comical. It's called "Throttle Control" people.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:14 AM   #28
Rock Crawler

What's comical is all the people dropping in that completely miss the point and just want to suggest that we either don't know how to drive or don't know how to set startup punch on an ESC. There's like half a dozen of you guys in this thread.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:40 AM   #29

Im still here. Yeah this isnt to help anyone be a better driver... as far as i am concerned, this could make you a worse driver. I get these responses whenever i ask hypothetical questions about doing something differently than it’s done now. I think thei kind of simulated motor programming would be popular for film production and also the scale semis and heavy equipment crowd.

This discussion is really interesting though, i think this would be a fun project.
self-future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

throttle exponential on your TX, no?
that is really setup as a curve that will increase at increments you determine... just like your "gears" you described above. sure its only one "gear" but its a start.

yes?

i do like this discussion and until 1:1 teslas are doing rock crawling/trails, it would get us closer to that "scale" effect we are all replicating with EVERY other aspect of our trucks.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Hmm.. should be possible with proper programming.

“Realistic throttle response” has been a main-stay on the more expensive 1/16 tank controllers for quite a while. Switchable from the transmitter, no less. Clarks have it, IBU has it on all generations of Mfu’s. Elmod has it.

Though, I guess we tankers áre a bit spoiled afa ‘realistic controls’ go with the oodles of functions that can be set via editable config files.

Here’s how that looks on a Heng Long T-90: ..ehh.. crap! Can’t get the video link to work. Well. Full thread it is, then. Video is on page 1. This is with a somewhat more ‘agressive’ setting of the esc.

https://www.rctankwarfare.co.uk/foru...p?f=33&t=25516

Fun detail, it also works on the braking. So, no instant ‘lock’ Makes for a great sense of weight. Though, tank is already 6kg.. talk about ‘weight’

The thing, however, with car controllers is that when using exponential on the TX, one has to make sure the motor has enough torque to prevent the sudden ‘jolt’ when a just-not-powerful enough motor is spooling-up to gather enough power/rpm.

I prefer 5-poles for that specific reason. Their power comes in much more controllable (and vèry smooth) than the average 3-pole. Holmes has some exellent 5-poles. Check those out if you want realistic, and controllable throttle response in combination with throttle-exponential settings on the TX.

Most of my historic WW2 tanks got 5-poles in them to get that controllable low-speed sensitivity.
Modern tanks are faster, more aggresive, so long-can 3-poles are fine in those.

Last edited by Jay-Em; 05-08-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote

Realistic/simulated acceleration and throttle response? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No response from throttle SINGH Electronics 16 11-15-2011 07:49 PM
No throttle response..... Gut-Pile Electronics 4 03-20-2011 04:51 PM
Throttle Response mmarques13 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 1 12-21-2006 09:27 AM
need help.. no throttle response on my rebel 2 shadow Electronics 2 06-19-2006 10:28 PM