Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor Overheat Problem!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 10:53 AM   #1

Unhappy Motor Overheat Problem!

Greetings guys,
I have finally finished my SCX10 II Rubicon Hard Body project, all except motor, since I had YR 540 rebuildable 35T motor removed from another vehicle. Problem is next: motor gets extreemely hot after 10 minutes of running on 13T/56T pinion spur, I have run it with stock Axial ESC which got burned on the first run, then I installed ESC from my Summit EVX2, which stays completely cool and supplying enough power, that's why my diagnoze is underpowered motor.
There is no binding anywhere, since rig rolls easily on the downhill even in 1st gear without drag brake and all wheels are turning freely on turned of vehicle.

Total weight is 7kg with battery and scale details, even in 1st gear on 2s motor struggles and stucks from overheating on steep crawling uphills.
Thinking about going brushless, but no manufacturer provides recommended details on max permitted load on the motor.
I could put 4274 sensored HW combo, but Axial gearbox does not let doing that, that's why I have to go 540-550 diameter brushless motor.
What would you suggest? Buying 90$ brood or Holmes handwound motor is good, but I would like to add couple bucks and get brushless for efficiency and better control.

What do you advice to get from these options or add some more?
I prefer quality with some nice additions like bluetooth connectivity on the Go etc. and low noise within ~200$ budget

1. Axe FOC 1800KV-2300KV (Cant really get information regarding max permitted weight or pulling load)
2. Mamba?
3. Mamba with 1415 motor which is rare?
4. Holmes? (Don't know much about them)
5. Some Chineese sensored combo to beat sh*t out of it (If anyone got good experience with them)

pics for understanding the weight with CI Firm dual stage foams

Thanks in advance for help!
AlexS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Motor Overheat Problem!

13/56 is tall gearing for such a heavy rig. A quality hand wound motor and lower gearing will run cooler, however with the weight of your truck brushless would be the smart option. Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro and Mamba X is a well proven combo, More than enough power for a heavy rig.

oh, and brushed has better control

Last edited by Danger Close; 05-05-2019 at 04:37 PM.
Danger Close is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Does it over heat in 1st gear too? I would gear it down and get a faster motor. If you double the gear reduction it effectively doubles the torque, from a motor stand point it will seem like you cut the weight in half as well.

Holmes puller pro in the standard size or a 550 axe (comming soon). If you don't mind the noise maybee a revolver.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:13 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Or if you can fit it the Holmes hobbies 4727:
Recommended Vehicle Weight: 4.5kg racing , 7kg MT with proper gearing, 20kg+ rock crawler with proper gearing
Old 05-06-2019, 01:31 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

For referrence 7kg = 15.4 lbs, thats really quite heavy for a 540. I'd say a 550 sized motor is needed or a brushless motor.

Holmes Hobbies has a great 550 sealed can for a decent price, available from many other retailers https://holmeshobbies.com/motors/bru...sport-550.html
And their Crawlmaster 550's are awesome if you are into spending more on a nicer motor.

A Mamba Monster X its rated up to 15 lbs, you can add their B-Link but its not cheap. you might just need to stretch the budget a bit to get all the things you listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Or if you can fit it the Holmes hobbies 4727:
Recommended Vehicle Weight: 4.5kg racing , 7kg MT with proper gearing, 20kg+ rock crawler with proper gearing
Theres just no way will that'll fit its massive and has way too much power to crawl, I just put one in my Arrma Senton 6S basher that does 55-60 mph

I dont know if this conveys the sense of scale just know this is 1/8 scale sized

I'd instead go for one of the Puller Pro crawler brushless motors, the XL should have the most torque of these though the standard 540 is better at low speed control.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-06-2019 at 01:47 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

15.4 lbs! that is almost as heavy as my bmx bike.

Low kv holmes puller pro xl is what you need for a motor. I would also suggest getting a mamba x

EDIT: Or if you don't mind waterproofing your own esc maybe look at getting a used gen 1 tekin rx8 esc. (I would use an external BEC)

I would suggest getting a holmes esc but I have never had the chance to use one.

Last edited by CM9000; 05-06-2019 at 01:43 PM.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:18 PM   #7

I have solved this problem guys. I had 4274 Sensored Brushless system 2400kv in my Summit, which i am going to sell with brushed combo. Previously i tried to install 4274 in SCX10, but had no luck because of location of tranny. I noticed that gap on SCX10 II is much more bigger between 540 motor and central plate. A bit of dremmeling some fins from motor in the gearbox contact area, a bit of dremeling of gearbox plastics and 16T pinion made a miracle.

All hail the king, now its 7.2KG and hungry for offroad ) P.S. Motor is bigger than a gearbox and has maybe 10x torque stock SCX10 II can survive, but thanks to MIP and Vanquish, I have whole drivetrain bulletproof and capable of withstanding this power. I cant stop it with my hand, and i am very big person
Weight with ESC and battery removed, still have to dremel 1mm from the body seat to fit the motor.

Thats how big this motor is

Last edited by AlexS; 05-06-2019 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Too big image
Old 05-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Okay I stand corrected, nice work shoe horning that thing in there.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Okay I stand corrected, nice work shoe horning that thing in there.
Thanks Trail hunger pushes people's brain to the limits of finding solution
After some tuning of ESC settings I made it crawl very slow with huge punch and the full throttle. Due to 4 pole motor size and torque, 12% drag brake which was enough to flip a summit, just instantly freezes this thing into place. will post some videos after i finish fitting and tuning it to new motor

Last edited by AlexS; 05-06-2019 at 03:30 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 05-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The 4727 has a lot of power but you can gear it down and it will Handel just fine. It Will just have torque to spare. It dosent need to be geared to go 60mph.

The Puller pro XL was designed with less low end smooth control so unless they have changed that I wouldn't recomend it.

LOL where there is a will there is a way, glad you figured it out, please follow up and tell us how you like it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2019, 05:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
The 4727 has a lot of power but you can gear it down and it will Handel just fine. It Will just have torque to spare. It dosent need to be geared to go 60mph.

The Puller pro XL was designed with less low end smooth control so unless they have changed that I wouldn't recomend it.

LOL where there is a will there is a way, glad you figured it out, please follow up and tell us how you like it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Did some test runs in home with electronics gutted out. I cant go smaller than 17t pinion otherwise it wont reach the spur But in sensored mode in 1st gear even with front overdrive, truck goes from very slow (slower than 35T brushed could have torque to move this ironman), to almost the same speed as in second gear with 35T. Second gear goes like 15km/h. It's nice to have a range from 0.3 wheel turn a second to 15km/h on a trail. I overheated my tires drifting in the hall, motor stays cool even being fitted tightly with all the electronics and hard body above it.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:20 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Careful you don't hit anything at full speed, I bet it's gonna hurt! you can fit a 68t spur on there too if you want to slow it down some, not with the gear cover though.

Tags
scx10ii. motor overheat.

Motor Overheat Problem! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why does a brushed motor overheat on 3S? CoolRunning Electronics 18 02-17-2017 12:17 PM
Will BEC overheat in RX box youngquist89 Electronics 1 01-09-2015 04:12 PM
Problem with my motor. Valreesio Electronics 14 02-20-2013 04:39 PM
overheat camino ty Axial SCX-10 1 06-09-2012 08:34 PM
Motor overheat/ dead trailreadyklr Non Crawler RC's 2 05-31-2009 11:09 AM