Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Piece of connector strip to connect ESC and motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2019, 09:01 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Piece of connector strip to connect ESC and motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Well your not going to have bad solder joints if you never try I guess. But it's not a complicated process, and why would you ever choose not to learn a new skill? Other then being too young there is no excuse not to learn how to solder in a hobby like this.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
One of my favorite pictures...

I've got it!!! Lets all go back to using Tamiya (molex) plugs!!! Those were great, why did we ever stop using those, its not like they melted or anything...?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Since when is crimping better than soldering?

Don't use that. It'll probably melt from the amperage of an RC system since it's only rated for 15A.

If you can't solder you should check these connectors out. Not only do they insulate the wires, but they also have a solder ball in the center that is easily melted by a heat gun.

I recently had experience with these. They were included with a Yoshimura fender eliminator kit for my Grom.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heat-Shri...duct/937874250

I'm curious about those because it's clearly a low melting point solder, but I'm not sure how well it would hold up in an R/C application. It's possible the solder would melt from the current going through it but the shrink might hold the wires together and keep the connection through the liquid solder. For a crawler it would probably be fine and never melt, but anything else I would be concerned. We've had proper solder joints come unsoldered just from the current.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
One of my favorite pictures...

I've got it!!! Lets all go back to using Tamiya (molex) plugs!!! Those were great, why did we ever stop using those, its not like they melted or anything...?
Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but I definitely melted a Molex connector and it was on a 1/18th scale buggy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
I'm curious about those because it's clearly a low melting point solder, but I'm not sure how well it would hold up in an R/C application. It's possible the solder would melt from the current going through it but the shrink might hold the wires together and keep the connection through the liquid solder. For a crawler it would probably be fine and never melt, but anything else I would be concerned. We've had proper solder joints come unsoldered just from the current.
Very good point! Let me know if you do any testing with them.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #24
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

A crimped connection with conductive grease would be the best connection overall, the mechanical pressure between conductors is fantastic for conductivity and the grease keeps it from corroding. Soldering is good enough for most RC needs though, and is more convenient for the home hobbyist.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:02 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Don't need grease if you use the heat shrink sleeve crimp connectors. Just crimp and heat, the connection is permanent and sealed. These are the only type of crimp butt connectors and terminal ends that I use any more.

https://www.mcmaster.com/butt-connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerlycarrot9 View Post
Unfortunately I don't have access to that hot wire gun stuff
This is sad, good God man buy a $20 soldering iron and learn a new skill! It's so easy even a cave man could do it.

Last edited by Inspector86; 05-13-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:31 PM   #26
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I've seen corrosion get places it shouldn't and ruin wires. I never ever crimp without a nice coat of grease. even dielectric is better than none.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Piece of connector strip to connect ESC and motor? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the ideal connector for ESC/battery/motor ? skyjockey Newbie General 44 10-17-2019 10:52 AM
did I get the wrong connector? ESC to motor IPT Electronics 5 05-20-2014 06:42 AM
how do i connect the ESC, BEC & battery?? SwampDawg Newbie General 10 10-08-2010 12:37 PM
What type motor connector comes on Sidewinder esc? neuro242 Electronics 8 09-04-2009 07:22 PM