Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Piece of connector strip to connect ESC and motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2019, 09:27 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Piece of connector strip to connect ESC and motor?

Would it be alright to use a connector strip piece to connect the ESC cables and the motor ones? Unfortunately I don't have access to that hot wire gun stuff
westerlycarrot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Piece of connector strip to connect ESC and motor?

Yes crimping on a connector is fine. Crimping is considered the better way VS solder so long as the crimp is done correctly (using a crimping tool) and not just crushed with pliers. Soldering is just a bit more common when doing most RC wiring likely because is pretty convenient and crimp connectors for motor wires take up more space.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-10-2019 at 09:43 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 09:51 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Yes crimping on a connector is fine. Crimping is considered the better way VS solder so long as the crimp is done correctly (using a crimping tool) and not just crushed with pliers. Soldering is just a bit more common when doing most RC wiring likely because is pretty convenient and crimp connectors for motor wires take up more space.
That explains why i haven't seen any videos with that method! I agree that taking off the body and seeing that white piece of plastic connecting the wires isn't the most beautiful thing in the world but oh well XD
Old 05-10-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I was actually talking about this stuff (https://www.toolstation.com/connector-strip/p85099)
Old 05-10-2019, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Since when is crimping better than soldering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by westerlycarrot9 View Post
I was actually talking about this stuff (https://www.toolstation.com/connector-strip/p85099)
Don't use that. It'll probably melt from the amperage of an RC system since it's only rated for 15A.

If you can't solder you should check these connectors out. Not only do they insulate the wires, but they also have a solder ball in the center that is easily melted by a heat gun.

I recently had experience with these. They were included with a Yoshimura fender eliminator kit for my Grom.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heat-Shri...duct/937874250

JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

Don't use that. It'll probably melt from the amperage of an RC system since it's only rated for 15A.

If you can't solder you should check these connectors out. Not only do they insulate the wires, but they also have a solder ball in the center that is easily melted by a heat gun.

I recently had experience with these. They were included with a Yoshimura fender eliminator kit for my Grom.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heat-Shri...duct/937874250

That's good but I don't have any kind of heat gun The above link is just a reference to the type of connector. There are different varieties according to the thickness and Amp of the cable.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #7

Quote:
That's good but I don't have any kind of heat gun The above link is just a reference to the type of connector. There are different varieties according to the thickness and Amp of the cable.
I've read a lighter can also melt the solder.

Yes, connectors vary by the gauge of the wire.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Weller $20 soldering iron will save you money on unreliable connectors for the rest of your life. Trying to save hassle and money now is usualy a bad decision.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Quote:
It really depends on application. Soldering, overall, produces less resistance and provides for a better bond. But, soldering can produce weak/brittle areas where the wires meet the wicked solder. This often happens when the person soldering puts too much heat into the work causing the solder to wick way up into the insulation.

And no, I would not use that terminal strip, you have a good chance of melting it.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Well your not going to have bad solder joints if you never try I guess. But it's not a complicated process, and why would you ever choose not to learn a new skill? Other then being too young there is no excuse not to learn how to solder in a hobby like this.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
In the Automotive industry this is the consensus, but I will still be soldering everything I do. Both methods need to be done properly and to do that both require specialized tools. So in the end you may just need to spend some money on one or the other.

Yeah that connector looks like it might be one of those splice connectors that likes to cut through the wire, not good.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:55 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Hmmm... I wouldn't recommend holding your soldering iron like the woman in the pic!
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:04 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Hmmm... I wouldn't recommend holding your soldering iron like the woman in the pic!
That's pro level soldering right there, you have to build up to it.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:19 PM   #14

Quote:
In the Automotive industry this is the consensus, but I will still be soldering everything I do. Both methods need to be done properly and to do that both require specialized tools. So in the end you may just need to spend some money on one or the other.

Yeah that connector looks like it might be one of those splice connectors that likes to cut through the wire, not good.
Hmm I know it's been debated, but I never knew that crimping was "better". It's certainly way more economically feasible AKA cheap and I'm sure that's reason enough for the auto industry.

The ones I have aren't hard plastic if that's what you mean. The ones I have do have some flex to them. I don't see them causing any issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
I've done it. I was holding a connection together and blindly reached for the soldering iron thinking I knew exactly where it was and..."OUCH YOU MOTHER#$%^&Z*!!!" That's something you learn not to do again. Thankfully I realize it was hot before I got a good hold of it and wrapped my hand around it.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:25 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Hmm I know it's been debated, but I never knew that crimping was "better". It's certainly way more economically feasible AKA cheap and I'm sure that's reason enough for the auto industry.

I agree with you, I've heard the debates and I'm firmly in the solder camp. I was just regurgitating what I had heard in those debates. Namely a video from Holly performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faLn-SjVfwY

I imagine for the auto industry they prefer crimping due to them being more flexible at the crimp (ie not creating brittle joints) but In RC I dont think we see as much movement in our wires to even worry about that.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 05-10-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:35 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Weller $20 soldering iron will save you money on unreliable connectors for the rest of your life. Trying to save hassle and money now is usualy a bad decision.
Absolutely. There is no reason NOT to solder and do it right. It is a simple skill and easy to learn.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #17

Quote:
I agree with you, I've heard the debates and I'm firmly in the solder camp. I was just regurgitating what I had heard in those debates. Namely a video from Holly performance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faLn-SjVfwY

I imagine for the auto industry they prefer crimping due to them being more flexible at the crimp (ie not creating brittle joints) but In RC I dont think we see as much movement in our wires to even worry about that.
I wasn't arguing the case for soldering. I was just saying it was curious that crimping is the preferred method.

I agree. I thought the flexibility would be advantageous in vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Absolutely. There is no reason NOT to solder and do it right. It is a simple skill and easy to learn.
Agreed. And it's a skill that comes in handy in other aspects of life. I've fixed toys for my friends' kids, fixed a tool for myself as well as a friend, etc.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:14 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

If my iron can reach it, it gets soldered.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Would it be alright to use a connector strip piece to connect the ESC cables and the motor ones? Unfortunately I don't have access to that hot wire gun stuff
Quote:
DO NOT USE THOSE.

Or do, but expect them to fail.

They have an amp draw limit of 15Amps, your esc & motor combo is capable of delivering in excess of 100 or more.

You'd be much better off to use an inline crimp connector. Like this: https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...K/p/GRO84-2590

Or, from the site you used: https://www.toolstation.com/butt-connector/p95245

Heck, you'd be better off twisting the wires together and wrapping them with electrical tape than you would be to use one of the connectors you posted...
(Don't actually do that, I'm joking around)
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:55 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

I think the crimp vs soldering trickles down from the electrical field. I used to work in high voltage and plant generation and the only form of acceptable "soldering" was thermite welding, expensive and time consuming and very application specific. Far cheaper, more reliable and only acceptable form of connection is compression for 99% of applications.

For RC, I solder everything 100%, never felt a need to crimp anything in that case.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote

Piece of connector strip to connect ESC and motor? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the ideal connector for ESC/battery/motor ? skyjockey Newbie General 44 10-17-2019 10:52 AM
did I get the wrong connector? ESC to motor IPT Electronics 5 05-20-2014 06:42 AM
how do i connect the ESC, BEC & battery?? SwampDawg Newbie General 10 10-08-2010 12:37 PM
What type motor connector comes on Sidewinder esc? neuro242 Electronics 8 09-04-2009 07:22 PM