Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Buying Used Electronics - been burned?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2019, 07:29 AM   #1

Default Buying Used Electronics - been burned?

Hey all! I have just started looking around for the things I'll need for a future build and I am trying to be budget conscious where I can (for the sake of my marriage!) so I have been pricing out some used electronics and I have a question, is it even worth it? Have any of you been burned buying used components that were faulty from the jump or soon after you got them? I'm just having trouble deciding if it is worth saving the 15%-25% I'm seeing in the used market or if I will be better off in the mid-long run ponying up for new.
GrittyMug345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Buying Used Electronics - been burned?

These days we have Hobbywing 1060 ESCs that are perfectly fine (though basic) brushed controllers for $20 new, a variety of $20-ish servos that have good torque and hold up well, and $15 Holmes motors. It is very easy to put together a competent electronics package with new components that are better than RTR-level stuff for not much money. The days of "needing" to buy used to afford simple electronics are past us.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:13 AM   #3

Thanks for the quick reply! I know that I can put together a decent rig using new, fairly low cost, and still good electronics but I guess I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to spend a little more for better used components (say a more expensive ESC) or if those are dangerous waters and I'm better off sticking with new. Just making sure there aren't a bunch of horror stories out there about people buying faulty used electronics.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Personally I wouldn't buy any used electronics with moving parts (motors, servos) because the amount of use/wear is hard to judge. Solid state electrics like ESCs are lower risk because generally they either work correctly or they don't. Having said that, I agree with SVT923 that it's better to just start with a brand new set of the tried and true budget electrics.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Check for compatibility. I got a Spektrum receiver for my DX5C on ebay and it turned out to be so old it wouldn't even work with the newer radio. Fortunately the seller allowed returns.
The next one DID work but it had been glued into a rig at some point so the case was pretty haggered. But I did save about $20. BFD, right??? LOL

For a brushed setup the HW1080 is the shiznit - they're about $42. At their booth at a big event over the weekend they were selling them for $30. Their state of the art blx setup for $170.

Used servos and motors? No way.

If you shop the online retailers you can find points and sales, promos and discounts, makes it pretty painless, depending on what you're after.

I'm kind of done trying to buy any used parts.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #6

Thanks again for thoughtful opinions! You guys are making perfect sense. I had my eye on a used HW1080 but it got bid to a price where I knew I could buy a new one with a coupon (and some patience) for just a couple dollars more. I was considering a used Savox 1210 as well but was more skeptical for the same reasons mentioned, moving parts with unknown history.
Cheers!
Old 05-23-2019, 09:41 AM   #7

Never buy used electronics. That's my advice.

You can get an ESC and motor for under $55 (HobbyWing WP 1080 and a Gool RC 35T motor).

Decent servos can be had for a budget.

Radios are so plentiful that you can buy a new, take-off transmitter for a budget. It all depends on which features you require.

Then all you need is batteries and absolutely DO NOT buy those used.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

I have purchased some second hand receivers and a transmitter locally. So far I haven't had any issues. That said, I tend to agree with the above sentiment. I wouldn't go looking to purchase an esc or motor second hand. There are quality cost effective options that are new. Not worth the risk to save but a few bucks
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:11 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Motors and batteries, no. I have bought a number of used ESCs and RXs, all have been fine. But, it also depends on the source. There is a locally that I have bought from, you can pretty much bet if he says its good, it is. When I am selling electronics I always take a video of the thing working and post it in the add.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 AM   #10

I just remembered when I bought a NIB Tekin RSX ESC from this forum or RCTech. I didn't use it so I ended up selling it on Facebook. When the guy got it the ESC was dead on arrival. He contacted me and I told him to contact Tekin since it was new. Thankfully, Tekin being the awesome company that they are, ended up giving him a replacement.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 12:12 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

The thing is for the OP to get a basic ESC new or something rrreally better used for the same price I would say for a beginner a Hobbywing 1060 and a HH Trailmaster 27T are unbeatable pricewise.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Buying Used Electronics - been burned? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Burned out bec?’s redneckracerx Electronics 18 03-29-2018 05:24 AM
Burned up electronics help, please! Orange58Crush Newbie General 20 09-06-2013 09:21 AM
rooster burned out panama Electronics 2 06-21-2012 06:33 PM
Anyone else get Burned Out once in a while? Krakker Chit Chat 35 03-25-2011 09:13 AM
Buying RTR vs Buying Parts Tonelock Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 10-03-2008 07:09 PM