Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Any chance to recover a glitchy ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Any chance to recover a glitchy ESC?

I bought a used SCX10.2 and I noticed that when steering, the servo would be really choppy.

At first I thought it was the servo, but it was buttery smooth with my servo tester. Then I tried a new receiver - same glitchy behavior. Then I installed a glitch buster, but no change.

So I grabbed an extra Traxxas TRX-4 ESC, hooked it up and it works perfectly.

So I've concluded that the Axial ESC is the culprit, but is there a chance to recover it? Is it worth taking it apart and cleaning in the internal components or should I just chuck this in a bin?
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Any chance to recover a glitchy ESC?

Bah, for 42 bucks you can buy a hobby wing esc that would give you plenty of voltage to that servo and it would offer a lot of adjustability to suit your particular driving style.
Chuck it in the trash.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Is this an AE-5 ESC?

I believe the board is encased in epoxy to make them waterproof so there really isn't anything that can be serviced. You can check for damage to the signal wire but any more that that probably isn't worth it on an ESC that can be replaced with something similar for $20 (Hobbywing 1060) or replaced with something infinitely better for $40 (Hobbywing 1080).
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Is this an AE-5 ESC?
It's the AE-5L version because it has LED lights.

I really didn't have any intention of keeping this ESC in this rig, but it's always nice to have a spare for other projects or for testing.

Sounds like it's not going to be worth the trouble to save this one.

Thanks for the input, folks
Old 05-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Glitch busters don't work well in crawlers/scalers, putting a heavy enough load on the servo will drain capacitor quickly, leaving the electronics starving for power (brown-out). Recommend trying an external BEC with this ESC.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 12:27 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Glitch busters don't work well in crawlers/scalers, putting a heavy enough load on the servo will drain capacitor quickly, leaving the electronics starving for power (brown-out). Recommend trying an external BEC with this ESC.
I tried the glitch buster because a) it works on a smaller crawler I have, so I figured "why not?" b) the servo in this used rig was so weak that there's no way it would need a BEC. It's so weak it's pathetic, actually

This servo glitching could be seen even with a micro servo and no load, but I'm sure I would have gone through more steps to troubleshoot had I not found the culprit.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:20 PM   #7

I wish I was a good enough engineer to fix an esc... but the return on that investment is really low, it that's my primary motivation.
self-future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by self-future View Post
I wish I was a good enough engineer to fix an esc... but the return on that investment is really low, it that's my primary motivation.
I was hoping it was more like, "open it up, squirt some corrosion x inside, close it up and you're good". LOL But yeah, for the cost of these ESC's, it may not be worth this effort.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

You can try cooking it in a toaster oven... According to linus tech tips it works on video cards. Maybee do it outside...

Needed to add a lol in here some where, cause seriously lol.

https://youtu.be/8Xanr4jkmEc

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 05-31-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 10:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
Bah, for 42 bucks you can buy a hobby wing esc that would give you plenty of voltage to that servo and it would offer a lot of adjustability to suit your particular driving style.
Chuck it in the trash.
Speaking of Hobby Wing ESC . just got the 1080 and after a friend installed it , it was fine till the next day. Now it beeps a consistent beep. Not beep beep,but only when I move forward or backward. Once in neutral, it goes away. Im running the stock 17T motor. (Redcat Gen . I did try making adjuments on the stock radio and nothing. Any ideas?
Gamer707b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:08 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamer707b View Post
Speaking of Hobby Wing ESC . just got the 1080 and after a friend installed it , it was fine till the next day. Now it beeps a consistent beep. Not beep beep,but only when I move forward or backward. Once in neutral, it goes away. Im running the stock 17T motor. (Redcat Gen . I did try making adjuments on the stock radio and nothing. Any ideas?
Didn't sound familiar to me...
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:50 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

the esc probably fried the internal bec try a external esc it dosent sound like a complete failure just for the hay of it use that extra esc just to power the reciver or use a small 2s lipo or maybe 2 aa batterys to make a quick test pull the power lead before hooking up the second power sorce you can lift the tab on the conector and slide the pin out of the conector so its easy to fix if for any reason you wanted to

the glitch buster just provides a boost of power it wont make up for a week bec but it will take the load off the esc by providing the momentary power spike the servo needs to start the motor under heavy loads and realy helps when your wheels are bound and your trying to turn the wheels it also helps alittle with the heat build up
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote

Any chance to recover a glitchy ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Back with a new handle, couldnt recover old account.. BaronVonYinzer Newbie General 2 06-18-2017 04:07 PM
Glitchy Throttle? Europort Axial Wraith 10 03-07-2014 04:13 PM
Glitchy FXR EvilPlots Electronics 6 12-22-2010 04:54 PM
glitchy reverse on WK? jbrandt HPI Wheely King 3 08-06-2007 02:24 PM