Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba x cutting out with impact

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2019, 11:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Mamba x cutting out with impact

I'm hoping someone can give me some idea of what's going on here.

The mamba-x in my TRX-4 seems to cut out when the car flips or bangs against something.

The steering continues to work and power is still being sent to the rest of my truck (i.e. My lights stay on) but I lose throttle for about 5-10 seconds before I can drive again.

I'm stumped.
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mamba x cutting out with impact

Maybe a loose connection on the ESC or motor? You could try wiggling all the wires related to the ESC and motor while you give it throttle or better yet set the cruise control.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 02:40 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Maybe a loose connection on the ESC or motor? You could try wiggling all the wires related to the ESC and motor while you give it throttle or better yet set the cruise control.
I've been doing that but I can't reproduce this problem artificially On the trail, it happened like a half dozen times (after rolling the truck) and on my bench, nothing.

I recleaned all the terminals/connections, so maybe that will help.
Old 06-22-2019, 02:55 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Brushed motor? I was thinking about worn brushes or if its rebuildable the wires for the brushes.

I guess swapping to a spare ESC (if you have one) might narrow it down after more driving
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Brushed motor? I was thinking about worn brushes or if its rebuildable the wires for the brushes.

I guess swapping to a spare ESC (if you have one) might narrow it down after more driving
Brushless. Castle slate 2850kv. I have another mamba x in a different truck, but I don't think I'll be swapping them just yet. I'll see how things go tomorrow and if the problem persists I'll investigate further.

I was hoping there may be some fail-safe option that kicks in on impact and just needs to be turned off. LOL
Old 06-22-2019, 05:03 PM   #6
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
Brushless. Castle slate 2850kv. I have another mamba x in a different truck, but I don't think I'll be swapping them just yet. I'll see how things go tomorrow and if the problem persists I'll investigate further.

I was hoping there may be some fail-safe option that kicks in on impact and just needs to be turned off. LOL
Try another receiver. Just had a customers truck at my friends shop today and he had a bag channel 2 in the receiver. It might be starting to go out. Make all connections are tight, try new sensor cord, make sure your soldering from the ESC to the motor with no connections in between. It can be so many things. Does it do it on a fresh battery or only when the voltage is lower? Maybe the plug into the receiver one of the pins inside the plug is a little loose as that will cause that to happen. Unfortunately is just slow process of elimination with electric issues like that. TO me it seems like a receiver issue if you take a hard hit and it shuts off. In the early days of 2.4 radio's the SPektrum receivers would cut out on harder crashes so it's possible for you receiver to be the problem.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:51 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Wyd, thanks for the info! Lots of stuff here I didn't even consider! I'll start a process of elimination after getting back from a hike tomorrow. I'll be able to see if it happens again and go from there.
Old 06-22-2019, 10:48 PM   #8
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Wyd, thanks for the info! Lots of stuff here I didn't even consider! I'll start a process of elimination after getting back from a hike tomorrow. I'll be able to see if it happens again and go from there.
No problem.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:13 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Just a quick update to this problem. I inspected and cleaned up what I could on my rig as far as connectors and wires go. I was out for three hours with my rig yesterday and didn't have a single issue, so I'm going to assume it was a connection problem.

What I did notice is that a power tap connector that splits off power off to my light system might have had a little too much dialectic grease on it as it was quite easy so slide/remove the connector. It's possible that impact was causing that part to move, although I can't confirm that 100%

Regardless, everything seems to be working fine now. If this problem comes back, I will go over all the components and re-evaluate things. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 06-25-2019, 05:32 PM   #10
wyd
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Just a quick update to this problem. I inspected and cleaned up what I could on my rig as far as connectors and wires go. I was out for three hours with my rig yesterday and didn't have a single issue, so I'm going to assume it was a connection problem.

What I did notice is that a power tap connector that splits off power off to my light system might have had a little too much dialectic grease on it as it was quite easy so slide/remove the connector. It's possible that impact was causing that part to move, although I can't confirm that 100%

Regardless, everything seems to be working fine now. If this problem comes back, I will go over all the components and re-evaluate things. Thanks for all the suggestions!
Glad you got it working.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:08 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

You still have the factory power switch on it? I have 4 Mamba X's, 2 of them have had problems with the switch .
Rumpelhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 08:16 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelhardt View Post
You still have the factory power switch on it? I have 4 Mamba X's, 2 of them have had problems with the switch .
I do, and I had trouble with the switch at the plug end last year. Fixed that with a good clean and dialectic grease. But I wouldn't be surprised if that switch comes back to haunt me later down the road.

Mamba x cutting out with impact - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project Impact IBCRAWLIN 2.2 Scale Rigs 2 08-17-2014 11:05 PM
Mamba max cutting out Mnster Electronics 10 05-26-2007 03:09 AM
Dark Impact SnailMail Chit Chat 2 03-26-2007 01:32 PM
cutting tranny when cutting bottom of chassis off... dieselfuel Newbie General 1 02-23-2006 08:10 PM