Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

I've ran a couple of Holmes motors now, just wondering what you guys think is the best at smooth slow take off.
I'm talking brushed motors here too, when my SCX10 gets a rebuild, I might swap the current Holmes motor for something better at low speeds and when first taking off, current one is good, but feel it could be improved upon.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

I don't have a ton of experience with holmes motors, but I do have a 540 13t crawlmaster. It gives me incredible control at start up (night a day difference from the 3 slot I was using previously). I doubt there are others that are significantly better, though some may be comparable. I would guess the advantage of his other motors would be in torque, in weight/size, or in both.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
I don't have a ton of experience with holmes motors, but I do have a 540 13t crawlmaster. It gives me incredible control at start up (night a day difference from the 3 slot I was using previously). I doubt there are others that are significantly better, though some may be comparable. I would guess the advantage of his other motors would be in torque, in weight/size, or in both.
I was wondering if to just order one, but thought I'd ask in case a middle of the range is just as good or extremely close and be more viable at half the price.
Worth asking I guess
Old 06-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I have a Holmes BRXL and 40T in my Hilux truck. It is super smooth and does great at the super slow speed stuff but it's incredibly slow on 2s. Slower than a walking pace at full throttle. I've used it with 4s and its plenty fast and still have the low speed control.

I have a Holmes 13T torquemaster sitting on the table now but it won't be in anything for a while.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:42 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
I've ran a couple of Holmes motors now, just wondering what you guys think is the best at smooth slow take off.
I'm talking brushed motors here too, when my SCX10 gets a rebuild, I might swap the current Holmes motor for something better at low speeds and when first taking off, current one is good, but feel it could be improved upon.
Id recommend you wait. John Holmes mentioned that hes gonna bring some 5 slots options to the trailmaster series. Cheap, reliable and smooth.

Otherwise, if you have cash to burn, get yourself a 550 Crawlmaster pro.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:16 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
Id recommend you wait. John Holmes mentioned that hes gonna bring some 5 slots options to the trailmaster series. Cheap, reliable and smooth.

Otherwise, if you have cash to burn, get yourself a 550 Crawlmaster pro.
I did see that actually and I don't really need it until the beginning of September, so I might actually just wait.
Just wanted to see what people recommended but the Crawlmaster does seem to be the best.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:17 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by struhall View Post
I have a Holmes BRXL and 40T in my Hilux truck. It is super smooth and does great at the super slow speed stuff but it's incredibly slow on 2s. Slower than a walking pace at full throttle. I've used it with 4s and its plenty fast and still have the low speed control.

I have a Holmes 13T torquemaster sitting on the table now but it won't be in anything for a while.
40T will be slow lol, I'd never go higher than 27T now, unless it was a very good 30T-35T.
I only run on 3s as well, so don't need to worry about 2s.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Anything in the crawlmaster line. Or a custom Pro with skewed arm, that's a little smoother than a normal CM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
40T will be slow lol, I'd never go higher than 27T now, unless it was a very good 30T-35T.
I only run on 3s as well, so don't need to worry about 2s.
This is the first motor I've used that wasn't a 20 or 27T motor. I knew it would be slow but that only bothers me on trail runs or when I need a bunch of wheel speed. We make jokes about it all the time and I'll pull the trigger all the way and yell out "Full send!"

Once my new build is finished it will be using the BRXL and 13T and I'll be buying 4s batteries. I'll have a HobbyWing 1080 with the 40T in the truck I'm already using.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

John,
How about offering a CrawlMaster Expert 550 12t. I want a 5 slot 550 can motor but I don't necessarily need a hand wound motor. BTW, I LOVE the CrawlMaster Pro 550 12t, I have three now.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
John,
How about offering a CrawlMaster Expert 550 12t. I want a 5 slot 550 can motor but I don't necessarily need a hand wound motor. BTW, I LOVE the CrawlMaster Pro 550 12t, I have three now.
I would be interested in this too.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I'm working on a sport version first. Expert would be a nice catalogue filler too.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
low rpm whine from all ESCs but Tekin FXR, why is that? it8ezbngrn Electronics 4 05-27-2013 03:15 PM
low rpm 550 slobin3d Electronics 1 04-17-2007 05:30 PM
Motor RPM RXcrawler Electronics 0 09-22-2005 10:39 PM