Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics
Loading

Notices

Thread: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #1
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 576
Default Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

I've ran a couple of Holmes motors now, just wondering what you guys think is the best at smooth slow take off.
I'm talking brushed motors here too, when my SCX10 gets a rebuild, I might swap the current Holmes motor for something better at low speeds and when first taking off, current one is good, but feel it could be improved upon.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Grand Rapids
Posts: 331
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

I don't have a ton of experience with holmes motors, but I do have a 540 13t crawlmaster. It gives me incredible control at start up (night a day difference from the 3 slot I was using previously). I doubt there are others that are significantly better, though some may be comparable. I would guess the advantage of his other motors would be in torque, in weight/size, or in both.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 576
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
I don't have a ton of experience with holmes motors, but I do have a 540 13t crawlmaster. It gives me incredible control at start up (night a day difference from the 3 slot I was using previously). I doubt there are others that are significantly better, though some may be comparable. I would guess the advantage of his other motors would be in torque, in weight/size, or in both.
I was wondering if to just order one, but thought I'd ask in case a middle of the range is just as good or extremely close and be more viable at half the price.
Worth asking I guess
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bullard TX
Posts: 244
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

I have a Holmes BRXL and 40T in my Hilux truck. It is super smooth and does great at the super slow speed stuff but it's incredibly slow on 2s. Slower than a walking pace at full throttle. I've used it with 4s and its plenty fast and still have the low speed control.

I have a Holmes 13T torquemaster sitting on the table now but it won't be in anything for a while.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:42 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 122
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
I've ran a couple of Holmes motors now, just wondering what you guys think is the best at smooth slow take off.
I'm talking brushed motors here too, when my SCX10 gets a rebuild, I might swap the current Holmes motor for something better at low speeds and when first taking off, current one is good, but feel it could be improved upon.
Id recommend you wait. John Holmes mentioned that hes gonna bring some 5 slots options to the trailmaster series. Cheap, reliable and smooth.

Otherwise, if you have cash to burn, get yourself a 550 Crawlmaster pro.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:16 AM   #6
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 576
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormridersp View Post
Id recommend you wait. John Holmes mentioned that hes gonna bring some 5 slots options to the trailmaster series. Cheap, reliable and smooth.

Otherwise, if you have cash to burn, get yourself a 550 Crawlmaster pro.
I did see that actually and I don't really need it until the beginning of September, so I might actually just wait.
Just wanted to see what people recommended but the Crawlmaster does seem to be the best.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 04:17 AM   #7
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Brough, North East, UK.
Posts: 576
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by struhall View Post
I have a Holmes BRXL and 40T in my Hilux truck. It is super smooth and does great at the super slow speed stuff but it's incredibly slow on 2s. Slower than a walking pace at full throttle. I've used it with 4s and its plenty fast and still have the low speed control.

I have a Holmes 13T torquemaster sitting on the table now but it won't be in anything for a while.
40T will be slow lol, I'd never go higher than 27T now, unless it was a very good 30T-35T.
I only run on 3s as well, so don't need to worry about 2s.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC
 
JohnRobHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Volt up! Gear down!
Posts: 20,158
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

Anything in the crawlmaster line. Or a custom Pro with skewed arm, that's a little smoother than a normal CM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 01:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bullard TX
Posts: 244
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh How Original View Post
40T will be slow lol, I'd never go higher than 27T now, unless it was a very good 30T-35T.
I only run on 3s as well, so don't need to worry about 2s.
This is the first motor I've used that wasn't a 20 or 27T motor. I knew it would be slow but that only bothers me on trail runs or when I need a bunch of wheel speed. We make jokes about it all the time and I'll pull the trigger all the way and yell out "Full send!"

Once my new build is finished it will be using the BRXL and 13T and I'll be buying 4s batteries. I'll have a HobbyWing 1080 with the 40T in the truck I'm already using.
struhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict
 
Inspector86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 1,145
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

John,
How about offering a CrawlMaster Expert 550 12t. I want a 5 slot 550 can motor but I don't necessarily need a hand wound motor. BTW, I LOVE the CrawlMaster Pro 550 12t, I have three now.
Inspector86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
Rock Crawler
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 530
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
John,
How about offering a CrawlMaster Expert 550 12t. I want a 5 slot 550 can motor but I don't necessarily need a hand wound motor. BTW, I LOVE the CrawlMaster Pro 550 12t, I have three now.
I would be interested in this too.
JDM74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:28 AM   #12
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC
 
JohnRobHolmes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Volt up! Gear down!
Posts: 20,158
Default Re: Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor.

I'm working on a sport version first. Expert would be a nice catalogue filler too.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Best smooth low RPM Holmes motor. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
low rpm whine from all ESCs but Tekin FXR, why is that? it8ezbngrn Electronics 4 05-27-2013 03:15 PM
low rpm 550 slobin3d Electronics 1 04-17-2007 05:30 PM
Motor RPM RXcrawler Electronics 0 09-22-2005 10:39 PM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com