Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New Holmes motors?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 08:30 AM   #21
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Re: New Holmes motors?

I don't have an ETA for the lower cost 5 slot motors, first we are getting samples made to ensure proper parts quality. Should have samples in the next few weeks.

We have plenty of TrailMaster Sport motors, which are also very smooth. Might be temporarily sold out on the site, but we have plenty in warehousing being packaged up. Not quite as smooth as the Crawlmaster, but a lot smoother than all the other 3 slot motors out there.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I don't have an ETA for the lower cost 5 slot motors, first we are getting samples made to ensure proper parts quality. Should have samples in the next few weeks.

We have plenty of TrailMaster Sport motors, which are also very smooth. Might be temporarily sold out on the site, but we have plenty in warehousing being packaged up. Not quite as smooth as the Crawlmaster, but a lot smoother than all the other 3 slot motors out there.
My absolute favourite motor to be honest, I have used the Torquemaster, but actually prefer the 21t 550 sealed can.
Not used a Crawlmaster yet though, may do in the near future for my '46 build.
Thanks for taking the time to reply, your motors are all I will use in mine and my partners rigs, so we look forward to the release of the 5 slots.
Oh How Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
A hot motor is a sign of to tall gearing. Gear her down, bigger spur/smaller pinion.
thank you very much for your reply"Pulgares hacia arriba"
pedrolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 02:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Gearing down on a faster motor is better and cheaper then a slower motor on stock gears IMO. I usualy run a 9t 48p pinion and a 96t 48p spur on a 21t 550 motor on 3s in an scx10 2 and its pretty dang slow with tons of torque and smoothness. You might prefer something like 11t 48p on an 80t 48p spur though.

The only time I ever damaged a 48p gear was when I was punching it on a 6s 2200kv motor. Wheelies are cool but it was just for funzies not something I would usualy drive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
thank you very much too."Pulgares hacia arriba"
pedrolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:41 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

Quote:

After a bunch of research, I'm thinking that the low cost of a machine wound 5-slot may not be what I'm after since the torque and smoothness of a hand-wound Crawlmaster is what I really want. And I'd much rather pay you for a good motor instead of a random Chinese unit.

I'm sure there is still a solid market for inexpensive 5-slot crawler motors as seen by the Reedy, Surpass, and Yeah Racing units. I'd rather save my lunch money for a bit longer and get something better.
zane! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane! View Post
After a bunch of research, I'm thinking that the low cost of a machine wound 5-slot may not be what I'm after since the torque and smoothness of a hand-wound Crawlmaster is what I really want. And I'd much rather pay you for a good motor instead of a random Chinese unit.

I'm sure there is still a solid market for inexpensive 5-slot crawler motors as seen by the Reedy, Surpass, and Yeah Racing units. I'd rather save my lunch money for a bit longer and get something better.

It's not really random actually. You can ask for exactly what you want and they will make it for you, completely customized to your specs; the only catch is that for that to happen, you need to buy a minimum amount of these motors, like 100+ probably a lot more.

One thing that I found considerably difficult to find are 5 slots, 550 motors with a decent Kv. Usually, even if they advertise that they're selling a RS-555, in fact when you open it, its only a 3 slot armature.

My opinion is that a RS-555 on 3s is the perfect compromise between smoothness and torque.
stormridersp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #27

The reason 5 slot is typically low kv is commutator design only fits a certain size of wire. I just tooled up for a larger 5 slot comm that will allow faster machine wound sealed cans without impacting wire fill.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #28

I'm with you on wanting handwound! Many thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane! View Post

Old 07-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

I may end up with a Crawlmaster, it was rather worrying in one of your videos you mentioned getting as little as an hours run time before the brushes need changing though.
I'm not really wanting that level of maintenance.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:05 PM   #30

I get over 50 hours a set of brushes on the crawlmaster just trailing. Generally more like 80. I stay out of water and don't hill climb with them.
Old 07-12-2019, 03:29 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I get over 50 hours a set of brushes on the crawlmaster just trailing. Generally more like 80. I stay out of water and don't hill climb with them.
I've seen your new Revolver though, so that's swaying me big time
Old 07-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #32
RCC Addict

I'm a huge fan of the Crawlmaster Pro 550 12t I currently have four of them.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 02:45 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

Any news on the low cost 5 slot?
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #34

Should have them in a few days. Will be two weeks before we get stickers though. I'm waiting to be sure they were made right so we dont have 5k stickers that dont fit.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #35
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Should have them in a few days. Will be two weeks before we get stickers though. I'm waiting to be sure they were made right so we dont have 5k stickers that dont fit.
that's great news. I think I'm going to have to pick one up for my new TRX6!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Very nice.

Now about those SHV500 V3s .....
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Sounds great!
Really looking forward to those motors. The 3 slot trailmaster are already really nice to drive. Can't wait to test 5 slot variants

Thanks for the update!
GrimmTheTourist is offline   Reply With Quote

New Holmes motors? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Holmes motors BigSid00 South Carolina 4 05-14-2014 08:08 PM
holmes motors newbe5.9 Electronics 3 12-22-2009 05:45 PM