RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   SW4 or Mamba X for Revolver (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/610473-sw4-mamba-x-revolver.html)

micro racer 07-23-2019 04:23 PM

SW4 or Mamba X for Revolver

I'm trying to figure out a power system for a TRX-4 rock racer project, and I can't decide which ESC to run. The motor is an 1800Kv Revolver 540; I will be running either 3 or 4s lipo depending on the final choice of ESC.

People who have run either or, or both, with a Revolver (or other outrunner), how did it drive? I've recently heard that the Revolver does not actually run well with the Mamba X but I'd like to get a few more opinions, as I don't really trust the people who said that.

HumboldtEF 07-23-2019 05:05 PM

Re: SW4 or Mamba X for Revolver

I haven't tried both ESC's but JRH who makes the Revolver has said that the SW4 is the best for its low speed start up and thats the ESC I chose to run with my Revolver. JRH has said that there is something in the SW4 software that makes the low speed start up particularly good with the Revolver, and it was a complete accident that this software feature helped out these outrunner motors.

I love the mamba X with brushed motors but I cant say how it will do with the Revolver.

micro racer 07-23-2019 05:16 PM

Hmmm... Good to know. I did notice that Holmes ran the SW4/Revolver against the Mamba X/Slate and Hobbywing AXE system in his comparison video, but I didn't realize that is actually the recommended combo, not just an example of a more budget friendly system.

brimdogg 07-23-2019 06:00 PM

If you're running 3s, go Sidewinder 4. If you think you'll want/need 4s, get the Mamba X.
The Mamba shares plenty of firmware with the SW4, but it's not quite the same.
Either choice is still a great ESC.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Voodoobrew 07-23-2019 06:25 PM

Mamba x can handle 2x the voltage and has an aux wire.

Sw4 is slightly smoother and enexpensive.

Personally I like how the mamba x can use 6s but price is important if you're alwayse going the have it mated to the revolver.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

LSXGMC 07-23-2019 09:09 PM

The sidewinder 4 has a poor internal BEC so there’s an added cost there too. I ran the same motor with a Mamba X and I was very impressed.

durok 07-23-2019 10:44 PM

Likewise - My Revolver 1800kv is paired with a Mamba X and I switch between 3S and 4S, in a Bomber.

The Aux Wire functionality is really useful - using 3rd channel to switch from Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Mode (mainly, drag brake on or off)...

punkindrublik 07-24-2019 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5952113)
Likewise - My Revolver 1800kv is paired with a Mamba X and I switch between 3S and 4S, in a Bomber.

The Aux Wire functionality is really useful - using 3rd channel to switch from Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Mode (mainly, drag brake on or off)...

Interesting. I just ordered an X for my Wraith, I didn't realize I had a new toy to play with.

durok 07-24-2019 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by punkindrublik (Post 5952131)
Interesting. I just ordered an X for my Wraith, I didn't realize I had a new toy to play with.

Works great for keeping you from going ass-over-teakettle when you let off the throttle at high speed in a crawler!

Just flick the channel back to drag brake mode when you reach the steep stuff...

punkindrublik 07-24-2019 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by durok (Post 5952134)
Works great for keeping you from going ass-over-teakettle when you let off the throttle at high speed in a crawler!

Just flick the channel back to drag brake mode when you reach the steep stuff...

I'd say I'm sold, but it's already on it's way, lol. That and a HH Puller Pro 2700 "thumbsup"