Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Deans vs. XT60

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Deans vs. XT60

So I'm a newb to electric. When I paused my RC adventures a few years back Deans were the standard for connecting batt packs to ESC.

I'm getting ready to build a TRX-4. Which connectors do I want to use? Thanks!
toys222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Deans vs. XT60

Honestly it's up to preference still. Deans are trickier to solder than XT60 but are a bit smaller. I think the XT60 connectors are probably cheaper than legit Deans plugs but I avoid the fake deans since the quality can be all over the place with them.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I recently switched from Deans to xt60. I was having a problem with a few of my Dean's plugs coming unplugged in the middle of a run. I don't have that problem with the xt60. Xt60 are easier to plug in and unplug. Just my two pennies.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:55 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

1 more vote for XT60s

XT60's also win on re-useability, they can be unsoldered and resoldered without melting the plastic like a deans will (usually). They're a bit easier to unplug too IMO.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #5
JC3
Quarry Creeper

I was a big XT60 fan - for a while at least. Got over them pretty fast for a couple of reasons. First is that they are a pain to plug and unplug, especially after they get dirty. This may not make sense till you've done it a few dozen times. Soldering them is sometimes really easy and other times a pain in the ass. Finally, almost all other guys I run with have Deans on their cars, so if I ever want to borrow a battery I have to remain compatible with them. I used to dislike Deans because I thought they were a pain to disconnect and being smooth were kind of slippery. I fixed that by cutting (with a thin dremel wheel) some ridges in the connector or, better yet, I now put wiring harness tape neatly around the Deans plugs which gives them outstanding grip.
Attached Images

JC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

been switching to XT60s on all my rigs. Easier to deal with, better connection, easier to unplug. I could see them being troublesome if dirty though, but after a few years I haven't had that issue at all.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #7
JC3
Quarry Creeper

I think that part of the problem I had was using too hot an iron on my XT60's. By doing so, the posts slightly shifted and that made them even more difficult to plug and unplug. So, something to keep in mind when soldering.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

plugging a male/ female set together helps prevent deformation. Same for deans. Some brands use better plastics than others as well.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
JC3
Quarry Creeper

Great tip. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2019, 06:56 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I've melted a lot more deans plugs than I have XT60's.

I've posted this before but it always seems helpful.
When you first get the XT60 plug the 2 solder cups are facing away from each other.

If you take a small pair of pliers and rotate the cups so they both face the same side of the plug

Then you can lay the wire flat on the table and keep everything perfectly in line when you solder it.

Placing something on the plug or using a clamp can help keep it in place and make it so nothing moves around when you put the iron on the wire. Make sure you put heat shrink on the wire before you solder it.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

The fake deans plugs are easier to use and work better than actual deans, lol.

these
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/t-style-...-10-pairs.html

or these
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/nylon-t-...10pcs-bag.html
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:18 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Swapped all of my rigs over to xt60 from Dean's a few years ago. Never going back, that would be like going back to an ex that cheated on you incessantly. Nothing but headaches and irritation can result.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 08:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
The fake deans plugs are easier to use and work better than actual deans, lol.

these
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/t-style-...-10-pairs.html

or these
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/nylon-t-...10pcs-bag.html
Been using OG Deans plugs forever. But they are expensive.

I recently switched over to the first ones listed above and love them. 👍🏼
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:58 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I have been running Deans forever and have never had a problem with them. I have gotten a couple of packs that have had XT60s installed on them, they are a nice connector. No matter which way you jump, pick one flavor and go with it for all of you stuff, it makes you RC life a lot easier. When I am out with a group I do carry conversion plugs to and from Deans just in case someone using XT60s needs to borrow a pack, or I need to borrow one.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
I've melted a lot more deans plugs than I have XT60's.

I've posted this before but it always seems helpful.
When you first get the XT60 plug the 2 solder cups are facing away from each other.

If you take a small pair of pliers and rotate the cups so they both face the same side of the plug

Then you can lay the wire flat on the table and keep everything perfectly in line when you solder it.

Placing something on the plug or using a clamp can help keep it in place and make it so nothing moves around when you put the iron on the wire. Make sure you put heat shrink on the wire before you solder it.
I've also melted way more Deans and Feans than I have XT60s. I think, for me, that's because XT60s are just so much easier to solder.

This tip is great. I've been doing it since the first time I saw you post it. It makes soldering XT60s even easier than they already are.

Deans aren't good. They were the only option for a long time and that's the only reason that they've stuck around IMO.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 07:44 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

ive been trying to switch over.to xt60 plugs but i seem to end up with deans plugs so now i have a bunch of adaptors on everything the deans plugs just seem to go bad after a while and the little thin strip of metal keeps.breaking off on me i the have a 20 pack of deans and.a.20 pack of xt60 and 20 xt90s for the yxl and bigger rigs i buy them in bulk so i have them if i need them
the deans go the.fastest by far im usaly to lazy to do both plugs at.1.time so i just replace what wares out
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:02 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I used to used bullet connectors when I raced, but went to XT60 when I got into scale trucks, just out simplicity. I did have some Dean's, but just find the XT60 easier to solder. EC3 or 5's are not too bad, but just seem to have fallen out of favour, maybe they can't carry as much current, but not sure.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Glad I found this thread!! I was going to ask the same question. We have 6 rigs mostly traxxas plugs, I hate those, and two with deans which I don't mind. I'm getting ready to order more packs and want to standardize all our plugs, which makes great since to me!! I guess it looks like i'll be switching to the XT60's! thanks guys!!
brian
bikepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 11:19 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Another vote for XT60s. Any having a few adaptors on hand won't cost you much and makes borrowing or lending batteries a breeze.
MrBlank is offline   Reply With Quote

Deans vs. XT60 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XT60’s or 90’s? Mattyice Electronics 27 02-02-2019 04:50 PM
RC connector??? Xt60, xt90 or something else. mkilci Axial SCX10 II 20 01-07-2017 07:54 AM