Rock Stacker

Default Traxxas 550 12t

Is a 12t 550 motor 2 much for a scx10.2
2FAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2019, 05:34 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Traxxas 550 12t

I'd say 12T is likely to be a bit much if thats a Traxxas 3 slot motor.

Whats the goal of the new motor? More wheelspeed? crawling?
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2FAT View Post
Is a 12t 550 motor 2 much for a scx10.2
Not really, you just have to look at the amount of room you have, that 550 can is significantly larger than a 540 motor.

Power-wise, it is the equivalent of a 21 turn (ish) 540 motor. If you gear it properly it should provide a good amount of torque with reasonable speed. If you don't gear it properly it will fry like this morning's bacon...

The Titan motors don't have the best reputation for reliability, but for a RTR motor, they really are not bad at all. With proper break in and maintenance you can get a good amount of life out of one. The biggest problem with them are people who read "waterproof", and think it means "maintenance-proof".
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Not really, you just have to look at the amount of room you have, that 550 can is significantly larger than a 540 motor.

Power-wise, it is the equivalent of a 21 turn (ish) 540 motor. If you gear it properly it should provide a good amount of torque with reasonable speed. If you don't gear it properly it will fry like this morning's bacon...

The Titan motors don't have the best reputation for reliability, but for a RTR motor, they really are not bad at all. With proper break in and maintenance you can get a good amount of life out of one. The biggest problem with them are people who read "waterproof", and think it means "maintenance-proof".
Old thread but what would you need to do to break in for the trx4 motor?

Ive wrecked 2 motors last week, mostly my fault going through thick soupy mud andwater.

Also how much can i drive in perfect clear spring water? Thats seems not to help eaither. Really enjoy running down a nice tiny little creek i find while out on the trails. Im guessing i have to stay on dry land to survive?

Any tricks for water proofing or maintenace of the stock motor to make it last longer?
83trekker83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:34 PM   #5
RCC Addict

There is really no "break in" procedure necessary. Some people run them in a glass of water but I think that is just stupid. Just driving it will seat the brushes. As for wreaking motors, you're correct it is your fault. You drive in that crap you have to expect you will wreck stuff. I have two Traxxas Titan 550 21T motors both are over two years old with probably around 400 hours run time ea and both still run great, but they have never been run in water or mud and the bushings get lubed at regular intervals.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 09:34 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
There is really no "break in" procedure necessary. Some people run them in a glass of water but I think that is just stupid. Just driving it will seat the brushes. As for wreaking motors, you're correct it is your fault. You drive in that crap you have to expect you will wreck stuff. I have two Traxxas Titan 550 21T motors both are over two years old with probably around 400 hours run time ea and both still run great, but they have never been run in water or mud and the bushings get lubed at regular intervals.
Thats what i was thinking, really fun to play in the water and mud but it will cost ya!
Old 08-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I've used a 12t 550 motor in my original SCX10 before but i had it geared really high for speed and ran it on 2s
Some video here

The SCX10.2 is lower geared than the original with the axles, so if it's geared low enough i think it'll be fine.
Hardcoretam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 12:32 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83trekker83 View Post
Old thread but what would you need to do to break in for the trx4 motor?

Ive wrecked 2 motors last week, mostly my fault going through thick soupy mud andwater.

Also how much can i drive in perfect clear spring water? Thats seems not to help eaither. Really enjoy running down a nice tiny little creek i find while out on the trails. Im guessing i have to stay on dry land to survive?

Any tricks for water proofing or maintenace of the stock motor to make it last longer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Break-in is just seating the brushes properly. Normally this can be done by driving the truck around at about 1/4 - 1/2 power for about 10 minutes. This is a REALLY good idea in fast RCs, but marginal in crawler, and likely not needed at all.

The water break-in method is old-school. Racers would drop a new motor into a glass of water and run it for about 10 minutes. The water acts as an abrasive and cuts the brushes into their sweet spot very quickly. This also takes about 50% of the life of the motor away. But racers would only use the motors for a few races anyways, then they'd be rebuilt or just tossed. Absolutely do not recommend this for any brushed motor, crawler or fast RC, it is just not necessary.

Quote:
Thats what i was thinking, really fun to play in the water and mud but it will cost ya!
As long as you removed the motor, clean it and relubricate it right after you are done running for the day you should be fine. The #1 reason these motors fail is lack of maintenance. "Water-proof" and "Maintenance-proof" are not synonymous by any means.

Last edited by Greatscott; 08-05-2019 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 01:29 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Break-in is just seating the brushes properly. Normally this can be done by driving the truck around at about 1/4 - 1/2 power for about 10 minutes. This is a REALLY good idea in fast RCs, but marginal in crawler, and likely not needed at all.

The water break-in method is old-school. Racers would drop a new motor into a glass of water and run it for about 10 minutes. The water acts as an abrasive and cuts the brushes into their sweet spot very quickly. This also takes about 50% of the life of the motor away. But racers would only use the motors for a few races anyways, then they'd be rebuilt or just tossed. Absolutely do not recommend this for any brushed motor, crawler or fast RC, it is just not necessary.

As long as you removed the motor, clean it and relubricate it right after you are done running for the day you should be fine. The #1 reason these motors fail is lack of maintenance. "Water-proof" and "Maintenance-proof" are not synonymous by any means.
What is the best way to clean it and relubricate it?
Old 08-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What is the best way to clean it and relubricate it?
1. Remove the motor
2. Blow it out with compressed air
3. Spray electric motor cleaner through it until it runs clear.
4. Spray excess motor cleaner out with compressed air
5. Let the motor set overnight (an hour or two at least)
6. Put a drop of light machine oil on each bushing.
7. Give the motor a spin, make sure it spins smoothly (you'll feel the rotor pushing passed the stator).
8. Reinstall/test.

Generally it is good to do this about every 20 packs or so running in slightly dusty conditions. In more dusty conditions, after about 10 packs. If running in water, mud, and/or sand, after you get done running for the day.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:18 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
1. Remove the motor
2. Blow it out with compressed air
4. Spray excess motor cleaner out with compressed air
5. Let the motor set overnight (an hour or two at least)
6. Put a drop of light machine oil on each bushing.
7. Give the motor a spin, make sure it spins smoothly (you'll feel the rotor pushing passed the stator).
8. Reinstall/test.

Generally it is good to do this about every 20 packs or so running in slightly dusty conditions. In more dusty conditions, after about 10 packs. If running in water, mud, and/or sand, after you get done running for the day.

Nice, i would drive it through mud water, get home take the hose to it and then let it sit in the sun, no wonder why they crap out after each week , i was doing everything wrong!

Is it ok to take water hose to it then motor cleaner if its packed with mud? Or just use the motor cleaner to get all the mud out.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Is it ok to take water hose to it then motor cleaner if its packed with mud? Or just use the motor cleaner to get all the mud out.

Personally I'd say clean water is an okay method when the motor is already wet or muddy, just dont skip the drying out and re-lubing steps.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:35 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Nice, i would drive it through mud water, get home take the hose to it and then let it sit in the sun, no wonder why they crap out after each week , i was doing everything wrong!

Yup, just wash it out with water, you'll use less motor cleaner that way. After that, hit it with the motor cleaner, that will flush all of that water out and keep it from rusting up.
Old 08-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

After water you can rinse it wit alcohol to dry it faster. Then lube.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 03:25 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Personally I'd say clean water is an okay method when the motor is already wet or muddy, just dont skip the drying out and re-lubing steps.
And I'd do 21 turn, not 12 turn....on 3S.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 11:28 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Is contact/electronic cleaner the same thing?
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:39 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Is contact/electronic cleaner the same thing?
I use Dynamite motor cleaner, but I think contact cleaner will do the same thing.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:03 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I use Dynamite motor cleaner, but I think contact cleaner will do the same thing.
Sweet, got plenty of that stuff around. Thanks.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas 550 12t - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas 12T 550 Motor jgrim Vaterra Twin Hammers 4 03-18-2017 08:48 PM
Looking to replace my Traxxas Titan 12t 550 with a 540 motor redsawacs Electronics 6 11-28-2015 09:46 PM
rooster crawler and a 12t 550 Erik R Electronics 5 09-04-2010 07:32 PM
Traxxas 12T 550 Titan in a WK? devestator_x HPI Wheely King 8 07-03-2009 04:07 PM
xl5 and titan 12t 550 ct03si Electronics 5 06-13-2009 07:03 PM