Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin, castle and Holmes oh my!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2019, 09:23 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tekin, castle and Holmes oh my!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

Many thanks for the support! I put a lot of effort into the magnetics to ensure they are the smoothest starting motors available. The Standard size is a beast, 2700 is a great do all KV.
Your welcome, I always like to support the ones who are making our hobby the best it can be. The Holmes motor just seems lime the right fit for what I’m looking for. Btw most of the YouTube videos I watch were yours. Very good and very technical and very well explained. Reminds me of when the import car magazine sport compact car was around. Their writers explained stuff in a very technical way that could be easily understood. Keep up the gray work.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2019, 02:28 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Tekin is one of the only companies that actually test and build motors for 4S - 6S voltage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Quite a bold statement, that is also untrue. You are leaving out the company that has had 6s capable crawler motors and ESCs for over a decade, and has pushed for Volt up, Gear down for 14 years!

Hope life is well.
I had to take critical thinking in school and I can assure this statement is neither bold or incorrect. This is because he added the qualifier of "one of the only" at the beginning. This means that if every esc company tested their esc's on 4s to 6s then he is including every esc company. All the statement actually says is that Tekin tests their esc's on 4s - 6s, which I'm sure is true. By saying "One of the" the writer expresses their are other companies that do this as well.

None of this has any bearing on the intent the author had, as we do not know the extent of their grasp on the intricacies of the grammar they used.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:11 AM   #23
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The statement by itself, yes it has the wiggle room tacked on. Taken in the context of this thread, implies that only tekin is in the subset of companies that developed 4 to 6s systems, when all three have to some degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post

None of this has any bearing on the intent the author had, as we do not know the extent of their grasp on the intricacies of the grammar they used.
Also a very good point. It's hard to say intent.

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 08-31-2019 at 05:59 PM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:20 AM   #24

Hobbywing AXE is my favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 07:25 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I might be odd, but I really only want on and off. I think the addition of active braking has made all the fiddly little incremental adjustments obsolete. I need a drag brake strong enough to hold my truck on an incline, then off at the push of a button so it doesnt lock up the second I let off the throttle and make my truck endo or damage the drivetrain.

You guys get that set up and I'll buy an RS Gen 3 to try. As much as I love the Mamba X, its a brick.

The hobbywing AXE has a drag brake setting that will apply instantly when going slow and then varies the application of the brake based on speed so it doesn’t lock up when coming off high speed.

Discohair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:39 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discohair View Post
The hobbywing AXE has a drag brake setting that will apply instantly when going slow and then varies the application of the brake based on speed so it doesn’t lock up when coming off high speed.

Mamba ESCs do the the same thing, using the drag brake ramp as well as active freewheeling feature.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:00 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

I placed my order today from rpp (15% off for Labor Day). Castle mamba x, Holmes 2700kv puller Pro standard size and a b-link. I liked the idea of changing the settings on my phone while I’m out in the field. The main reason I didn’t consider the hobbywing axe system is the whole motor issue that everyone talks about. I didn’t like being tied down to on motor brand. I’m excited for the Holmes motor, I’ve never owned a Holmes product but I’ve only seen people love them. I had a tekin fxr with one of their 55t motors back in the day, but this will be my first trip into a high end brushless crawler motor and esc combo.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:00 AM   #28

Amongst Tekin, Castle and Holmes, Axe should just keep quiet and watch only because its only 3s capable. But its alright on its own. Not only do we learn about crawlers' techs but we r also picking up grammer lessons FOC (free of charge n not field oriented controls) as for non native speaker like myself! thanks!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
yp.sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 01:34 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

First off, I know on-road & overpass racing...but, when it comes to crawlers, I'll admit I'm a total nOOb. That being said, I'm about to enter the crawler would, be with my purchase of the new Axial Capra 1.9, which will be used 60-75% for "rock racing" (more accurately, "crawler drag racing"), and 25-40% rock/trail crawling. And, yes, I do realize these two uses are somewhat in contrast to each other, which kind-of complicates the ESC/motor choice problem. I've already contacted John Robert Holmes, via his website, but thought I'd pose a similar question here.

Initially, I had no clue what to get. Then (primarily because all my other vehicles have Hobbywing ESCs) I decided on the AXE FOC System. Then, because of "problems" with the AXE, I was back a strap, not knowing what to get. Thankfully, because of this thread, and threads on various forums, I've been able to do some research. For the ESC, I think I've finally decided on the CC Mamba X. As for a motor, that's where I'm still undecided.

As of right now, I'm thinking either the Tekin ROC412 (2300kV), or Holmes Puller Pro (2700kV)...unless anyone can highly-recommend other possibilities. If no other options can be given, between these two motors (being used with the Mamba X), which would be the better choice? Additionally, what would the advantages/disadvantages be of each (when used with the Mamba X)?

For those replying, please, only reply if you have actually used both motors. This will help to alleviate any bias, such as usually found by those who have only used one of them.

Last edited by Panther6834; 09-28-2019 at 02:10 AM.
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:01 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
First off, I know on-road & overpass racing...but, when it comes to crawlers, I'll admit I'm a total nOOb. That being said, I'm about to enter the crawler would, be with my purchase of the new Axial Capra 1.9, which will be used 60-75% for "rock racing" (more accurately, "crawler drag racing"), and 25-40% rock/trail crawling. And, yes, I do realize these two uses are somewhat in contrast to each other, which kind-of complicates the ESC/motor choice problem. I've already contacted John Robert Holmes, via his website, but thought I'd pose a similar question here.

Initially, I had no clue what to get. Then (primarily because all my other vehicles have Hobbywing ESCs) I decided on the AXE FOC System. Then, because of "problems" with the AXE, I was back a strap, not knowing what to get. Thankfully, because of this thread, and threads on various forums, I've been able to do some research. For the ESC, I think I've finally decided on the CC Mamba X. As for a motor, that's where I'm still undecided.

As of right now, I'm thinking either the Tekin ROC412 (2300kV), or Holmes Puller Pro (2700kV)...unless anyone can highly-recommend other possibilities. If no other options can be given, between these two motors (being used with the Mamba X), which would be the better choice? Additionally, what would the advantages/disadvantages be of each (when used with the Mamba X)?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I don't have experience with the ROC motor, but can tell you that the Holmes Puller Pro will be a great motor. It has plenty of power, and is smooth as butter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:54 AM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
I don't have experience with the ROC motor, but can tell you that the Holmes Puller Pro will be a great motor. It has plenty of power, and is smooth as butter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I can second this. But being that the Capra is a smaller vehicle, I went with the Puller Stubby 2200kv.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #32
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

A ROC will have stronger drag and torque density. A Puller stubby will start smoother and slower. A Puller 540 standard will have more torque than both and start just a hair faster than the stubby, but still considerably smoother than the roc.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote