Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin, castle and Holmes oh my!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2019, 09:59 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Tekin, castle and Holmes oh my!

I’m looking to upgrade to a brushless system in my 10.2 truggy that I have for no other reason than I want a brushless system. I’m stuck on what I want to get. Cost isn’t the issue, otherwise I wouldn’t have mentioned tekin. Looking to get people’s experience with the different setups I’m considering. Tekin rx4 with a roc 412 3100kv or the mamba x with the roc 412 3100kv or a Holmes puller Pro in 2700kv or 3300kv. It will be run on 3s and I’m coming from a hw1080 with a hackmoto 35t brushed motor. Bec isn’t a concern as I’m running a 3brothers g13 servo which runs off of direct battery power. Just looking to see what people have had experience with. I’m leaning towards the tekin combo but couldn’t really find that much information with the search function. Any input is appreciated.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Tekin, castle and Holmes oh my!

Put one vote up for the Mamba X and puller pro. I don't have any experience with the others but I love that combo in my Wraith.

For pure crawling I also love my Sidewinder 4/Revolver 1800kv setup.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:54 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Put one vote up for the Mamba X and puller pro. I don't have any experience with the others but I love that combo in my Wraith.

For pure crawling I also love my Sidewinder 4/Revolver 1800kv setup.
Seconding this, Holmes and a Castle ESC is my preference for crawling. I haven't used a Puller Pro as of yet, but my Trailmaster Pro is amazingly smooth. The Puller being 4 pole vs 2 pole, should only increase the smoothness.

The SW4 is an amazing sensorless ESC, and the revolver is great if you don't mind the slight increase of noise from the motor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:32 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've run both the puller motors and the roc412 and the Holmes Puller has a better smoothness at low speeds. If it says anything the roc 412 has shifted from crawling duties to powering a basher.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I've run both the puller motors and the roc412 and the Holmes Puller has a better smoothness at low speeds. If it says anything the roc 412 has shifted from crawling duties to powering a basher.
If you want a Tekin with smoother low end you can use the Pro4. Less grunt at low speed compared to Roc412, but smoother startup and feeling.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I was not a fan of the RX4. Its huge and bulky, the tuning is not as nice as Castle's, and once you have that Aux wire like the Castle X series has, its difficult to go to anything else. I have not ran the normal size Puller Pro motors from Holmes, but have ran his Stubby motors and like them a lot. I also have ran a couple Roc 412s and had no complaints.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:34 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

Another vote for mamba x and puller pro motors. Also a big fan of the revolver in a 10.2.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:21 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd-M View Post
If you want a Tekin with smoother low end you can use the Pro4. Less grunt at low speed compared to Roc412, but smoother startup and feeling.
That isn't really possible, seeing as how they both have the same size rotor and very similar stack designs. The ROC412 is extremely smooth on the low end, as is the Pro4. We just changed a few small things to get better drag brake out of the ROC series.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:24 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I was not a fan of the RX4. Its huge and bulky, the tuning is not as nice as Castle's, and once you have that Aux wire like the Castle X series has, its difficult to go to anything else. I have not ran the normal size Puller Pro motors from Holmes, but have ran his Stubby motors and like them a lot. I also have ran a couple Roc 412s and had no complaints.
The RX4 has an Aux wire as well, which lets you adjust the Drag Brake on the fly in 10 steps from the radio. Size is basically the same too footprint-wise and the RX4 is only taller due to the fan shroud. It only looks bulky because of the case design.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
The RX4 has an Aux wire as well, which lets you adjust the Drag Brake on the fly in 10 steps from the radio. Size is basically the same too footprint-wise and the RX4 is only taller due to the fan shroud. It only looks bulky because of the case design.
I think that firmware came out after I sold mine. Is it possible to have only two settings (say 100% and 0%) instead of ten steps? I much prefer to have it that way so I can simply turn it on and off instead of incremental settings.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
I think that firmware came out after I sold mine. Is it possible to have only two settings (say 100% and 0%) instead of ten steps? I much prefer to have it that way so I can simply turn it on and off instead of incremental settings.
Right now we are 10 steps but we have looked into added an on/off setting. 100 and 0 wouldn't be too hard, but I've also wanted to make the two user-adjustable so custom values could be used.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

After a lot of research and watching a ton of YouTube I have decided to go with a Holmes puller Pro 2700 and a mamba x. I’m going to us a standard size motor because it seems like a good all around size and power performer. Thanks everyone for the input. Can’t wait to get it and install it. Looking forward to trying out something new.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

After a lot of research and watching a ton of YouTube I have decided to go with a Holmes puller Pro 2700 and a mamba x. I’m going to us a standard size motor because it seems like a good all around size and power performer. Thanks everyone for the input. Can’t wait to get it and install it. Looking forward to trying out something new.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:54 PM   #14
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Tekin ROC412 Element motors with Castle Creation Mamba X escs power MANY of the Crawler Innovations and Ayala Metal Works fleet of RC's. Tekin is one of the only companies that actually test and build motors for 4S - 6S voltage. If you can gear down low enough, the drag break becomes natural due to the low gearing and the loss of top speed will be regained with the added voltage. The low gearing will smooth out the start up as well.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Right now we are 10 steps but we have looked into added an on/off setting. 100 and 0 wouldn't be too hard, but I've also wanted to make the two user-adjustable so custom values could be used.
I might be odd, but I really only want on and off. I think the addition of active braking has made all the fiddly little incremental adjustments obsolete. I need a drag brake strong enough to hold my truck on an incline, then off at the push of a button so it doesnt lock up the second I let off the throttle and make my truck endo or damage the drivetrain.

You guys get that set up and I'll buy an RS Gen 3 to try. As much as I love the Mamba X, its a brick.
Old 08-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #16

Quote:
I might be odd, but I really only want on and off. I think the addition of active braking has made all the fiddly little incremental adjustments obsolete. I need a drag brake strong enough to hold my truck on an incline, then off at the push of a button so it doesnt lock up the second I let off the throttle and make my truck endo or damage the drivetrain.

You guys get that set up and I'll buy an RS Gen 3 to try. As much as I love the Mamba X, its a brick.
A smaller Mamba X - yes, please! Or a Tekin version which would most likely be more compact. The Tekin boys can control heat like no other.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Smaller Mamba? whats wrong with the micro X? I love the micro X and I've had good luck running them in rigs up to 8-9 lbs.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Smaller Mamba? whats wrong with the micro X? I love the micro X and I've had good luck running them in rigs up to 8-9 lbs.
I was told not to use the Micro X in my TRX-4 with the Revolver motor.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:50 AM   #19
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
That isn't really possible, seeing as how they both have the same size rotor and very similar stack designs. The ROC412 is extremely smooth on the low end, as is the Pro4. We just changed a few small things to get better drag brake out of the ROC series.
I can confirm the Pro4 starts up smoother with my own testing. The flux linkage on the ROC is stronger, which gets you the higher drag brake but also increases the detent force and increases minimum startup speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
Tekin is one of the only companies that actually test and build motors for 4S - 6S voltage.
Quite a bold statement, that is also untrue. You are leaving out the company that has had 6s capable crawler motors and ESCs for over a decade, and has pushed for Volt up, Gear down for 14 years!

Hope life is well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I was told not to use the Micro X in my TRX-4 with the Revolver motor.
Not a good idea with the two speed model unless you are using the 1000kv, second gear will fry the controller. Single speed TRX4, no worries with proper gearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghonda99 View Post
Many thanks for the support! I put a lot of effort into the magnetics to ensure they are the smoothest starting motors available. The Standard size is a beast, 2700 is a great do all KV.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #20
RCC Addict

I've had mixed luck with the Micros. My first one burnt up pretty quick. It took me a while to give one a second try. I put the next Micro X in my old Toyzuki V2 comp rig and it would get scolding hot in a few minutes of running. I'm guessing it was because of the weight (it had Curries) and aggressive OD/UD. I'm running that Micro X right now in my 1.9 Wraith and love it. It works perfectly and does not even get warm. That truck is pretty light with no OD/UD.

I'd love to have a good low profile lightweight option that does not require a BEC to run high power servos.