Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Brushless choices

I'm looking to go brushless in my current crawler project. In the past I've ran the RTR speed controls with an Integy 35t motor with decent success. Since then I've gone to using Castle Creations Sidewinder3 with the Integy 35t motors and then to a Holmes Hobbies Torquemaster Expert 540 27t. I really like this combo but would like to go brushless with similar performance to my current set up.
SPLATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2019, 03:37 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Brushless choices

By similar performance, do you just mean smoothness, or do you also mean in total power output?

If the former, a Castle Mamba X and a 2200kv(ish) motor such as a Castle Slate, Tekin Roc412, or Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro (standard size) is probably as close as you're gonna get. You'd end up with A LOT more power though.

If the latter, a Castle Mamba Micro X coupled to a Holmes Puller Pro Stubby would be quite a bit cheaper, damn near as smooth, more compact than your current brushed setup, and still make more power than your brushed setup (but not A LOT more like the first option.) You'd need to add an external BEC to this, unless you are running a high voltage servo directly from your battery. I run similar in one of my cars (8lb Wraith) just with a 2700kv stubby instead and I've been happy with it. I do occasionally wish I'd just ponied up for the standard size stuff (mo' powa'!) but honestly, the micro+stubby hasn't let me down. If your car is lighter, this is a good setup.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:05 PM   #3

What rig are you putting it in? I’m going to assume here a little.

Castle Mamba X is the perfect ESC. A Holmes Puller Pro 3500kv is great.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
By similar performance, do you just mean smoothness, or do you also mean in total power output?
Yes I'm looking for something that will give me similar smoothness and at least the same or more wheel speed as the 27t Holmes motor on 2s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What rig are you putting it in? I’m going to assume here a little.
SCX10 II
SPLATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

If you want similar performance, why do you want brushless? While the brushless puller motors have good startup, they are still not as good as brushed can be. And they cost more. The biggest reason for brushless is more torque and rpms.

If you just want slightly more rpms you can go to a lower turn motor. Or a 550 motor and bump up the pinion.

The Puller is a great option if you just have an itch for brushless though. I like the 22000kv because it works from 2s to 6s making it easy to change up the speed depending on what your doing.

The 2200kv goes just as fast as the 3500kv, just at a different voltage, they both max out around 50k rpms. That's 6s for the 2200kv for 55k rpm. Or 3s on the 3500kv for 44k rpm, 4s might be too much for it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushless choices - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushless choices on monster truck build ? xsputnikx Non Crawler RC's 5 01-16-2015 02:10 PM
brushless motor choices? idaho Electronics 19 09-12-2013 11:48 PM
Too many choices MaxPower666 Redcat Crawlers 6 09-13-2011 07:07 AM
choices! 27cameron Electronics 2 06-28-2011 10:31 PM
Brushless Choices Josh87 Newbie General 1 06-04-2008 06:55 PM