Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: TQi radio vs Flysky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2019, 06:09 PM   #1

Default TQi radio vs Flysky

The TQi radio that comes with the TRX Crawler kit looks really nice and has the Link option to connect to my iPhone. I doubt though that I’d add all the telemetry items as they are quite pricey. Also like the cruise control function. I have seen many positive posts on the Flysky GT5. My question is, should I keep the TQi once I get my kit or sell it and get the Flysky? As I will be doing mostly trails and some longer drives to trails, cruise control will be handy. Is this available on the GT5? This would help in deciding between the two.
redpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2019, 07:03 PM   #2

Default Re: TQi radio vs Flysky

If you only have one RC the TQi is fine. You need the Bluetooth module to use the app though.

I have a GT5 and it's nice, but I still use the TQi in my TRX-4 Bronco and TRX-4 Sport.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Cruise control on an RC?
I still laugh every time I hear that.

Get the Flysky. So much more programming capability, a 20 model memory, $12-$15 receivers, 6 channels, $70 or less if ya shop around. Hard to beat.
punkindrublik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If the TQi is doing everything you need it to, there is no reason to spend money.

Personally, I have seen more FS radios fail that I have seen working, and would be hard-pressed to spend any money on them, even as cheap as they are. But, some people have fantastic success with them and really love them. Of course, some people really like Integy as well, so there is no accounting for taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkindrublik View Post
Cruise control on an RC?
I still laugh every time I hear that.
I find this to be a less than useful feature myself, but some people like it. It has just about no usefulness for those of us who spend most of the time crawling, but for the guys/gals that trail run a lot of the time, they like the ability to set the throttle and go. In the end, it doesn't matter if I find a feature useful, if a feature on your truck puts a bigger grin on your face, then it is a good one for you...

Last edited by Greatscott; 09-16-2019 at 06:43 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default TQi radio vs Flysky

I picked up a hacked gt3c with 8 channel reciever here used. Its been solid so far.

My only complaint is that none of the receivers seem to handle the higher voltage that my servos can, so I have to run my servos on the lower side.

Not sure if the tqi is any better in this regard though
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The TQI radio has terriblr throttle resolution and the trigger is stiff and stickey. Fly Sky has been great for me and several other people that I know. Don't listen to Greatscott, he is one of those people with no taste.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:32 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I've been running hacked Flyskys for years with no issues, best bang for the buck in my opinion. Little fiddly to figure out but once you get the hang of them they are great. Lots of videos on YouTube to program what you need.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:52 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I've been running hacked Flyskys for years with no issues, best bang for the buck in my opinion. Little fiddly to figure out but once you get the hang of them they are great. Lots of videos on YouTube to program what you need.

I found a really great manual for the hacked flysky. I will see if i can post it up. I dont think it is perfect but it at least gets you in the ballpark.
mass-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post
The TQI radio has terriblr throttle resolution and the trigger is stiff and stickey. Fly Sky has been great for me and several other people that I know. Don't listen to Greatscott, he is one of those people with no taste.
I agree with Greatscott. No reason to spend money on a FlySky if he already has a TQi.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:29 AM   #10

Thanks everyone. Since it comes with the TRX 4 kit, it might be worth hanging onto it then since this will be my first venture into RC.
redpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote

TQi radio vs Flysky - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traxxas Tqi 4-channel radio ranger4xlt Electronics 1 11-15-2014 12:28 PM
Traxxas TQi Radio Issue crawl33oh Electronics 0 10-27-2012 02:17 PM