Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Upgrade from RTR Radio???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2019, 09:10 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Talking Upgrade from RTR Radio???

I've got an Element Enduro and looking see what a recommended replacement radio would be? I stopped by the local shop and they recommend the DX5C, but didn't really have much else in terms of selection. I'm looking for something in the $125-$150 price range. Currently have a normal setup with a wired winch, nothing crazy. I don't really have any real requirements, just looking at what you guys think is the best option.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2019, 09:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Upgrade from RTR Radio???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lashlee View Post
I've got an Element Enduro and looking see what a recommended replacement radio would be? I stopped by the local shop and they recommend the DX5C, but didn't really have much else in terms of selection. I'm looking for something in the $125-$150 price range. Currently have a normal setup with a wired winch, nothing crazy. I don't really have any real requirements, just looking at what you guys think is the best option.
I do really like my Spektrum radios, and the DX5C is a great budget radio.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Good to know. Thanks!
Old 09-24-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

I'm a big fan of my Spektrum radios and if I was upgrading I'd consider the DX5 Rugged. Not sure if it differs from the DX5C other than the rugged shell.

The FlySky GT5 radio is also pretty darn good for a budget radiio.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:57 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I'm a big fan of my Spektrum radios and if I was upgrading I'd consider the DX5 Rugged. Not sure if it differs from the DX5C other than the rugged shell.

The FlySky GT5 radio is also pretty darn good for a budget radiio.
The big thing that the Rugged has over the C is that it has telemetry. Otherwise i haven't found any setting that are different in mine.
The thumb wheel is pretty nice though.

Old 09-24-2019, 09:51 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You should consider what future plans you may have. I like my dx5r much more then my dx5c because of the programming options. I originally bought a Dx5c then the dx5r bucause I made one rig moa.

I have the dx5r bound to almost every vehicle because you can program it to limit the throttle to various amounts on the rear switch and its similar to having an electronic 3 speed transmission.

It seems minor but I am surprised how often I use it to cap the throttle.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:06 AM   #7

I have 2 of the Radiolink radios. I'm very happy with them. They're 4 channel (steering, throttle, one on/off, one rotary) and can control up to 10 vehicles. There's also a 6 channel version out now. The radios are inexpensive, as are the receivers.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 06:50 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
You should consider what future plans you may have. I like my dx5r much more then my dx5c because of the programming options. I originally bought a Dx5c then the dx5r bucause I made one rig moa.

I have the dx5r bound to almost every vehicle because you can program it to limit the throttle to various amounts on the rear switch and its similar to having an electronic 3 speed transmission.

Good info. I currently have the Enduro and a Wraith. I'll see what the differences between the C and the R to verify what really differentiates the two and what I need/want.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:53 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I have 2 of the Radiolink radios. I'm very happy with them. They're 4 channel (steering, throttle, one on/off, one rotary) and can control up to 10 vehicles. There's also a 6 channel version out now. The radios are inexpensive, as are the receivers.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll look at what they offer.
Old 09-25-2019, 07:18 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Also the spectrum radios have terrible battery life. I get maybe 3 days of use from 4AA batteries. A stock 3ch tactic radio lasted me a year on the same 4 batteries.

Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 07:20 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I will agree, if you have the cash, the DX5R is phenomenally better.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I loved my 4-channel Radiolink until I fell with it. I slipped on a wet rock on the trail and I caught myself partially with the radio. The throttle trigger would no longer center after that. Sure, I was to blame, but I've done the same with other radios and never had a problem. The Radiolink was just too fragile. It felt fragile to me from day one - especially the antenna. And the 6-channel ones have toggle switches that would definitely have a good chance of breaking off in a fall.

I have to say the GT-5 doesn't feel any sturdier, but I haven't had a fall test with it yet and I hope I don't.

Quote:
Also the spectrum radios have terrible battery life. I get maybe 3 days of use from 4AA batteries. A stock 3ch tactic radio lasted me a year on the same 4 batteries.
Mo' features mo' battries.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:42 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

My dx4c sipped at batteries, going months between changes... My Dx5 Rugged however I only get about 3 runs at a time, granted they tend to be 6-8 hour runs.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
RCC Addict

If you're shopping on a low budget, I'll second the Radiolink. I have a handfull of other radios (Spektrum DX4S, DX3S, DX2E, Tactic 3ch, Flysky GT3B, Flysky GT2C, and a few other rtr radios) and the Radiolink has somehow become my go-to. I think it's partially due to it having a larger grip (I have long fingers, size 12-13 glove) but also the programming layout makes sense to me without needing instructions (unlike many other brands) and it doesn't feel as flimsy to me as most. I didn't think I had a need for 4 channels, but I have found myself using all 4 on 2 cars now. I use the added slots on their 6ch receivers to plug in my BEC and power lights. Their newer gyro receivers work decently, but I do like the Spektrum AVC's better in that arena.

I know that many will recommend a Flysky GT3B, but I'm just not as big of a fan, they don't have as many features, programming is not as straight forward, and in my experience they have a tendency to just stop functioning for no reason after +/- a year (though I had a Spektrum AVC rx do that too, but not the tx.) Their saving grace is cost. $33 tx (with 1 rx) and $7 rx's mean you won't lose sleep if you kill one.

In your $150 price range, I think the DX5C is the best you're gonna get, but keep in mind that the rx's still cost the same as they do for other Spektrum radios. If you don't need 5 channels, buying a Flysky or Radiolink tx and a handfull of rx's might be the more logical choice. If you do need the extra channels, a hacked Flysky with 8ch is like $100 if you buy one that's pre-hacked, and they still use cheap rx's. If you don't mind spending more, I might also suggest skipping the entry level Spektrum for one of their better units, like the DX5R. At that point (especially if an MOA crawler ever might be in the plans) there are some Futabas and Sanwas to consider as well, depending on your needs.

What other/how many cars do you plan to run on your new radio?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 06:58 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I've been doing some research and saw a few posts about battery life. What is the best option for batteries? My current RTR's have had more than a few runs in the last few months without swapping radio batteries.

As for other rigs, I currently only have the Enduro and a Wraith Spawn. My daughter has one of the Barrage kits that I built for her (I'm impressed with it out of the box, definitely needs better tires) that I may play with once she gets bored of crawling. I'm going brushless in the Enduro with a Mamba X, HH Pro 3500, and it's got one of the "upgraded" Reedy servos and a Reef's servo winch so I'll need at least three channels (though I want to try out the aux function of the MX). My Wraith is getting the hand me down HW1080 and has a Savox 1210 but there are a few times when the Barrage is out of battery and my daughter will drive one of mine.

If the DX5R is that much better, I can save a little more and get it. I tend to be one of those that likes to buy once, even if it takes a little longer to get there. My biggest complaint on the upper Spektrums is I think they are ugly. Years ago (in the early 90's) I raced dirt in the summers and pan cars in the winter with an Airtronics Caliber 3P so I tend to like the extra "features" of the higher end units. I'm open to other options, I just haven't done the research yet.

Last edited by Lashlee; 09-26-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-26-2019, 09:01 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Not long ago I snagged a Flysky FS-GT5 6CH for my Yeti, and so far it's been better than I'd been hoping - part due to dumb luck.

Not long after I got it, I picked up a Mamba X, so it's channels 5/6 are perfect for using the Aux adjustment feature on the Mamba X. I use it to damp down the max power, quickly and easily for when a kiddo is at the controls. All one needs to do is turn the twist knob on the radio to the max throttle you want them to have and hand it over.

Previously I was using the bluetooth castle link to do that. Works great, but you need to bring the vehicle back to you to change the map.

5/6 might be great for a winch control, since they would allow you to control direction and speed.

Ch. 3 is a clicker I use for lights. They way it's mapped, it requires a double click to go to the next setting and that can't be changed. So not perfect there, but way better than the RTR kit I had.
SlidePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I loved my 4-channel Radiolink until I fell with it. I slipped on a wet rock on the trail and I caught myself partially with the radio. The throttle trigger would no longer center after that. Sure, I was to blame, but I've done the same with other radios and never had a problem. The Radiolink was just too fragile. It felt fragile to me from day one - especially the antenna. And the 6-channel ones have toggle switches that would definitely have a good chance of breaking off in a fall.

I have to say the GT-5 doesn't feel any sturdier, but I haven't had a fall test with it yet and I hope I don't.

Mo' features mo' battries.
Yeah, I never got the impression that the Radiolinks are overly sturdy. Definitely not a contender if you're the type that likes to fall all the time or use your radio as a hammer.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:39 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I'll do a little more research on the FlySky. It looks like the GT5 may be a suitable option.

Upgrade from RTR Radio??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Should I upgrade my radio system? Awesome Kong84 Electronics 20 12-13-2016 09:15 PM
Radio upgrade Ur2respect Electronics 0 05-25-2011 03:36 AM
Upgrade RTR radio? noogles Newbie General 3 06-21-2010 04:28 PM
FM Radio upgrade 808_crawler Electronics 3 07-02-2009 08:47 AM
AX10 RTR - Upgrade servo & motor, keep radio & receiver? Need BEC? Coldnorth Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 12-08-2008 09:55 AM