Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: TQI Steering Endpoints Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Question TQI Steering Endpoints Issue

I installed some axle upgrades on our Scx10 Dingo. In switching the axle around I unplugged the servo from the Traxxas Trx-4 Defender TQI RX. I plugged the servo back into the RX after finishing everything up. Went to set the endpoints and when I push the set button for the right it jerks the steering hard and tweeks the axle. Any help is much appreciated. Just wanna be able to have both rigs back out on the trail. Here's a video of what I have going on.

https://youtu.be/zRyLUOSiTeI
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: TQI Steering Endpoints Issue

Hmm I'm not exactly sure what to say about that. Could the steering trim have some effect on this, Is the steering trim centered on your radio?
Does it function normal besides when you're setting end points?

Maybe you can try another servo out of another rig to narrow down the components. You may not even need to remove it from the truck, first try to see if you can stretch the wire over to the other truck. I would suspect either the receiver the servo or possibly an external BEC if there is one.

Before you do more testing take the steering link off of the servo horn so you dont do any damage over extending things.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:43 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Hmm I'm not exactly sure what to say about that. Could the steering trim have some effect on this, Is the steering trim centered on your radio?
Does it function normal besides when you're setting end points?

Maybe you can try another servo out of another rig to narrow down the components. You may not even need to remove it from the truck, first try to see if you can stretch the wire over to the other truck. I would suspect either the receiver the servo or possibly an external BEC if there is one.

Before you do more testing take the steering link off of the servo horn so you dont do any damage over extending things.
Trim centered. Drives just fine turns fine no issues. Just setting the endpoints it wants to spaz. Definitely going to take the link off. Just wanted the visual for anyone able to help. I've heard of a couple guys having theirs do it, but they just went to a different radio all together. I'll do some more digging here in a bit. Time to get the kiddos to bed.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Ive got a TQi radio that in one setting it only goes in reverse. But if i rev the settings, it wont center nuetral, so u have to hold the throttle forward just a tad or it goes on its own. Doesnt matter wat truck u have it in, same results, even with different rx.

The steering settings work fine on it though. Hope u get it figured out justin, sorry i cant help with that part

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Ok now I've tried another servo (different brand) and both ports for channel 1 on the RX. Still getting the same issue. Guess it's time to get another flysky gt3. Back to running the stock stuff for now. Joss has been driving me nuts to go out to the trail. Thanks for the help! If I get it figured out I'll post it up.
Old 09-28-2019, 08:18 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Ive got a TQi radio that in one setting it only goes in reverse. But if i rev the settings, it wont center nuetral, so u have to hold the throttle forward just a tad or it goes on its own. Doesnt matter wat truck u have it in, same results, even with different rx.

The steering settings work fine on it though. Hope u get it figured out justin, sorry i cant help with that part

It's funny how electronics do goofy stuff sometimes. Have you tried resetting the whole remote?
Old 09-29-2019, 01:03 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
It's funny how electronics do goofy stuff sometimes. Have you tried resetting the whole remote?
It is. I dont have any issues with the 2ch tq radios, just the red TQi with the multi function knob. Ive reset the radio, n ive tryed just the throttle reset, same results. Thinkin bout gettin another gt5, i really like mine

indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 06:59 AM   #8

I reversed the steering channel and I get the same: seems that the endpoint calibration doesn't take into account the channel reverse (dumb!) so when you're turning right you're actually setting the left endpoint and viceversa. It took me solid ten minutes of eyeballing and tries to get it right...
RCPawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:29 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPawel View Post
I reversed the steering channel and I get the same: seems that the endpoint calibration doesn't take into account the channel reverse (dumb!) so when you're turning right you're actually setting the left endpoint and viceversa. It took me solid ten minutes of eyeballing and tries to get it right...
So since I had to reverse the servo now I need to set the left then the right? Or should I set the endpoints with it not reversed then reverse it after I have them set? Don't understand why it's doing this now after I've set the endpoints with this radio plenty of times with not one issue.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #10

Turning left you set the right endpoint, so work in small increments, eyeballing where you set it the step before, until you reach the wanted steering, reset if you go too far. I did it like that, don't know if it works by returning to stock rotation / set endpoints / reverse it back.
RCPawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:53 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

It's not you, it's the traxxas radio. I have two of those tqi radios that do the same thing. They'll only properly set epa in one direction. Supposedly the update that links it to your phone fixes this glitch. I didn't have a compatible phone so I ended up adjusting the drag link length and using the dual rate function to get my end points set. Very annoying to say the least.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:29 PM   #12

[TRX_4 assembly kit / SRT-BH9037 servo].Hello fellow crawlers. Same problem here. Reversed the new servo and epa its all messed up. Only working procedure is by returning to stock rotation / set endpoints / reverse it back / repeat 1475 times and a lot of eyeballing. (little story that has nothing to do with epa problem because it happened before change servo , bought the tqi-bluetooth module 6511 Link , tried it for 15 minutes, after 16 min it destroyed my transmitter_no responce, sent the transmitter back to www.eurorc.com and they changed it right away.) Also the steering wheel on the new tqi-trans. has a small field of no response when fully turned left. Im thinking of changing the whole tqi-trans-receiver into something like absima AB-2000008 or fs gts-5. Troubled by meatmonkey's comment "It's not you, it's the traxxas radio." I would like to ask : if i do change them will i be able to adjust properly the epa in both directions ? Or all transmitters-receivers can adjust epa in one direction ?
Liet_Kynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 04:53 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Almost all radios that aren't from RTR's can adjust end points for each direction. I only recall seeing the one way adjustment on cheap RTR radios.

I haven't used the Fly Sky radio but I would bet it does both directions. There are a lot of folks here using fly sky so hopefully someone will chime in to confirm this.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:08 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFO29GV28yA

Maybe this will help? Not sure what the traxxas radio is capable of and is a little cumbersome to navigate. But i do know they can do a lot of adjusting including setting EPA's, just not as convenient. Like stated above, Flysky is great and personally, without a doubt the best radio for the money, and can be hacked should you decide you need more channels. I am a Futaba guy, but i still have a couple hacked gt3c for comp rigs ( that i dont drive anymore either ) they are great radios though. The gts5 will be able to set EPA's also. I dont have any experience with hit personally though.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:28 PM   #15
RCC Addict

I have since posting this I went to hacked flysky gt3b and gt3c radios. Very adjustable. When hacked they can run 62 vehicles and up to 8 channels. They are so much better then the TQI and tactic that I was running. You wouldn't think so much about the radio equipment until you run a decent one. RTR radios are a joke from my experience.
Old 02-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
I have since posting this I went to hacked flysky gt3b and gt3c radios. Very adjustable.
Can you confirm they can adjust end points for both directions?

Thats what Liet_Kynes was wondering.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:06 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Yes you can adjust everything. Endpoints, reversing, expo and more. You get to watch the endpoint move with every click of the wheel. I have my Trx, Scx10 and my 4 wheel steer micro crawler set up on them. Exocaged is a pro at those remotes and has helped me program everything. He makes it very easy. He has videos on setting up a Trx on one.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:05 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I have two Tqi radios with this glitch. One workaround is "trimming" it with linkage length and using the dual rate function to set your max angle. It's annoying, and you shouldn't have to, but it was the only way I could make it work.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:01 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I have two Tqi radios with this glitch. One workaround is "trimming" it with linkage length and using the dual rate function to set your max angle. It's annoying, and you shouldn't have to, but it was the only way I could make it work.
Mine remembers the endpoints if I turn it on/off twice. The second power on gets everything correct. Again, weird but thought I’d share my “fix” hahaha.
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote

TQI Steering Endpoints Issue - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TQI endpoints question Asuckaphish Traxxas TRX-4 23 12-31-2018 03:40 PM
Traxxas TQi One-hand steering mod... high plains drifter Traxxas TRX-4 3 06-03-2018 10:34 PM
CC-01 Steering Issue... Gimpdiggity Tamiya XC/CC01 16 08-21-2017 12:02 AM
Traxxas TQi Radio Issue crawl33oh Electronics 0 10-27-2012 02:17 PM