Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Looking for a steering servo that can be powered direct from 3S battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Looking for a steering servo that can be powered direct from 3S battery

Hi guys,

While attempting to order a Holmes Hobbies SHV500V2 steering servo for my Capra, I learned that it has been discontinued by Holmes while they get a new V3 version of their servos ready for market. Since the V3 has not been released yet, can y'all recommend a similar replacement steering servo that I can buy now?

My favorite feature of the SHV500V2 was being able to run directly off a 3S battery. I'd like my new servo to also do that. What other servos can do it?

Thanks!
RCTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Looking for a steering servo that can be powered direct from 3S battery

Well there is the Holmes V2 (and soon V3) servo, the JX 12V servos which are cheap copies of Holmes V1 servo, and the 3Bros servo which is an expensive cheap copy of the Holmes V1 servo.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Looking for a steering servo that can be powered direct from 3S battery

The Holmes HV500V2 can also be powered direct from 3S
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Well there is the Holmes V2 (and soon V3) servo, the JX 12V servos which are cheap copies of Holmes V1 servo, and the 3Bros servo which is an expensive cheap copy of the Holmes V1 servo.
Well that's a pity. I'd be happy to get my hands on a V2 but every place I can think to look shows them out of stock. No ETA on the V3 debut from Holmes yet either.

Not really wanting a V1 or copy thereof. Although, I do have a Holmes V1 that's still steering as good as the day it was installed. Now my curiosity is peaked--are there any other differences with the 3Bros or JX servos over the Holmes V1?

Last edited by RCTom; 10-07-2019 at 01:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 01:09 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
The Holmes HV500V2 can also be powered direct from 3S
Really? That's interesting. I thought that was a feature of the SHV500 series only. I remember reading that the max the HV500V2 could handle was 8.4V.

Are you saying it can handle more than it's rated for?

Last edited by RCTom; 10-07-2019 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTom View Post
Now my curiosity is peaked--are there any other differences with the 3Bros or JX servos over the Holmes V1?
So the story is something to the effect of a worker for the company that does the OEM work on the Holmes servos stole some designs including the Holmes V1 design and started JX servos, the exact story from JRH is on this board somewhere. Holmes confirmed his V1 gear set is an exact fit and his servo firmware programming setup recognizes the servo the same as the SHV500. JX specs lower quality materials to minimize cost and still has the center gear pin issue that forced Holmes to make the V2 version. JX supposedly makes the 3Bros servo so you get the quality of the JX but you pay more.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Really? That's interesting. I thought that was a feature of the SHV500 series only. I remember reading that the max the HV500V2 could handle was 8.4V.

Are you saying it can handle more than it's rated for?

Yes Rob mentioned in a thread here that it could handle 3s .
That's how i power mine in my TRX-4 since i installed it aprox 2 years ago with no issues.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yes Rob mentioned in a thread here that it could handle 3s .
That's how i power mine in my TRX-4 since i installed it aprox 2 years ago with no issues.
But still have to run a BEC, correct?

I'll be pairing the servo with a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster BLE Pro ESC. Does anyone know what the amp rating is on the BEC on this ESC? I can't find it on the HH website. All it says is adjustable between 5-7V.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

My Holmes BLS SHV500v2 is running off 4s. That is what they are rated for. Also, mine says v2 on the label and it has the smaller v1 pins in it. So I bought a v2 and received a v1. My TRX 4 Traxxas metal steering arm is also wearing the spline, so much so that it will not secure by tightening the screw. For this reason I can not recommend their servos. Their motors are still excellent and I run both a 1800 Revolver and a 2200 PP.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
But still have to run a BEC, correct?

I'll be pairing the servo with a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster BLE Pro ESC. Does anyone know what the amp rating is on the BEC on this ESC? I can't find it on the HH website. All it says is adjustable between 5-7V.

No it is running direct from the 3s lipo. I used a HH Bypass adapter for this.
Old 10-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

This is what you need

3Brothers RC
G 13 SERVO

* Motor: brushless motor

* Operates on 2s, 3s, or 4s lipo, 6v-14.8v

* Operating Speed (11.1v): 0.12sec/60°

* Operating Speed (14.4v): 0.10sec/60°

* Stall Torque (11.1v): 527oz

* Stall Torque (14.4v): 672oz

* Dimensions: 40X20X37mm

* Weight: 71g

* Connector Wire Length: JR 265mm

* Bearing: 2BB

works awesome, plug and play
antigacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:38 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
No it is running direct from the 3s lipo. I used a HH Bypass adapter for this.
Interesting. I think I have one of these adapters laying around. What are the connections?
Old 10-08-2019, 12:03 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I will give another nod to the 3 brothers g13 servo. I’ve been using mine since earlier this year without any issues. A bunch of guys in my local group also use them and haven’t had any issues that I’ve heard of. Is quiet, powerful and it runs off of a separate plug for power direct from the battery and the other plug goes to your receiver. I used a inline xt60 connector with a jst plug pig tail that I got from rpp to connect up power and keep the wiring clean. I just had to swap the end of the jst connector on the gear head adapter because it was the same female type as the 3 brothers adapter. I run it on 3s and it has plenty of power.
Ghonda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:29 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghonda99 View Post
I will give another nod to the 3 brothers g13 servo. I’ve been using mine since earlier this year without any issues. A bunch of guys in my local group also use them and haven’t had any issues that I’ve heard of. Is quiet, powerful and it runs off of a separate plug for power direct from the battery and the other plug goes to your receiver. I used a inline xt60 connector with a jst plug pig tail that I got from rpp to connect up power and keep the wiring clean. I just had to swap the end of the jst connector on the gear head adapter because it was the same female type as the 3 brothers adapter. I run it on 3s and it has plenty of power.
I get what you're saying and I am intrigued with the G13. But based on SVTs comments above (plus researching the whole JX/G13 story) I may stay away. I'm thinking of going with the HV500V2 servo/bypass adapter based on Magic_Yetis comments because it's still HH quality (I really like their stuff) and they're still available to buy (unlike the SHV500V2).

Now I'm just trying to figure out how to make the connections because for a guy whose hobby is electric toy trucks I sure get confused with wiring.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:52 AM   #15
RCC Addict

you can find a wiring diagram here at holmes https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

Instead connecting the bec, you connect it direct to the lipo. I used the jst plug of the stock trx esc. If you don't have this you have to modify the leads going from the battery to the esc. I can make some pics if needed at the weekend if i have access to my trx.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
you can find a wiring diagram here at holmes https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html

Instead connecting the bec, you connect it direct to the lipo. I used the jst plug of the stock trx esc. If you don't have this you have to modify the leads going from the battery to the esc. I can make some pics if needed at the weekend if i have access to my trx.
That's what's confusing me, Magic_Yeti. I should've asked what ESC you were running in your TRX-4. That extra JST plug coming off the stock Traxxas ESC is nice! I'm using a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster BLE Pro without that extra JST plug. Can you or anyone else help me in hooking up this ESC to an HV500V2 servo without a BEC and still not have brown-out issues?

BTW Magic_Yeti, please post-up pics of the servo install in your TRX this weekend if you don't mind. I have a TRX-4 myself with a bad servo that I haven't got around to replacing yet. This thread reminded me I need to get that truck back on the trail too!
Old 10-14-2019, 07:18 AM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTMI View Post
My Holmes BLS SHV500v2 is running off 4s. That is what they are rated for. Also, mine says v2 on the label and it has the smaller v1 pins in it. So I bought a v2 and received a v1. My TRX 4 Traxxas metal steering arm is also wearing the spline, so much so that it will not secure by tightening the screw. For this reason I can not recommend their servos. Their motors are still excellent and I run both a 1800 Revolver and a 2200 PP.

Yay for factory flubs, I don't blame you. It's been worse than a root canal on my end simply dealing with the factories and dishonest workers sliding my work out the back door. Although the pin size is v1, the other internal features are v2. Did yours shear a pin or break a gear? We were trying to avoid pin shearing with v2, which is mostly helped by the hard points the pins ride in, but we went to a larger pin size too.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:31 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Yay for factory flubs, I don't blame you. It's been worse than a root canal on my end simply dealing with the factories and dishonest workers sliding my work out the back door. Although the pin size is v1, the other internal features are v2. Did yours shear a pin or break a gear? We were trying to avoid pin shearing with v2, which is mostly helped by the hard points the pins ride in, but we went to a larger pin size too.
First Justin had me send back the original servo I bought so you guys could look at it, then a few weeks later the replacement servo stripped the gears on my rock pile in my yard. Nothing big, like a class 1 course with my TRX4 on 4.75's. What has me wondering now is the spline being worn by the Traxxas sintered steel horn. And it is the spline as I had a v1 gear here from Justin wanting me to try that before he sent out a new servo, and the horn was as tight as could be. So I'm pretty sure it's the spline on the servo getting loose and making slop.
DRTMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 06:40 AM   #19

Tom - curious how this worked out for you?

Quote:
That's what's confusing me, Magic_Yeti. I should've asked what ESC you were running in your TRX-4. That extra JST plug coming off the stock Traxxas ESC is nice! I'm using a Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster BLE Pro without that extra JST plug. Can you or anyone else help me in hooking up this ESC to an HV500V2 servo without a BEC and still not have brown-out issues?
Jackson233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson233 View Post
Tom - curious how this worked out for you?
Unfortunately, the Capra build went on hold when some life stuff reared its ugly head. I haven't even looked at my RCs or even followed RC talk online in the past two months. However, I'm just starting dig out of the abyss and get working on placing some parts orders so I can wrap this job up.

Interestingly, the Holmes V3 servo still doesn't seem to be available and I don't see any V2 servo stuff anywhere at all. Not sure what to do at this point.

Looking for a steering servo that can be powered direct from 3S battery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wiring a servo to a battery direct cossack Electronics 11 09-17-2013 01:56 PM
Servo Powered Straight Off Battery Question yoraish Electronics 21 10-18-2012 12:36 PM
Servo direct to battery papabash Electronics 17 01-14-2012 11:50 AM
Running your steering servo right off the battery vdubman Electronics 4 02-01-2009 10:41 AM