Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Getting into LiPO - Spektrum Smart vs Others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2019, 07:00 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Getting into LiPO - Spektrum Smart vs Others

Slowly but surely getting back into the hobby, and for ease I just grabbed a couple NiMH packs initially

But now, I'm looking at buying into some LiPO love. With the greater care and feeding concerns of LiPO the extra info that the spektrum batteries have access to seems appealing.

The price point isn't any higher than other reputable brands when I've looked at same spec batteries. So is there any reason I'm missing (besides having to change connectors or make adapters to Deans) to *not* go with their batteries?
SlidePanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2019, 07:53 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Getting into LiPO - Spektrum Smart vs Others

First, what Spektrum is (essentially) doing is copying Traxxas (ie. they're iD batteries & chargers)...except that they're taking it "up" a level, as Spektrum's "Smart" ecosystem doesn't just extend to the battery & charger. The Smart batteries & charger were just the beginning, as they're now adding the Firma ESC to the ecosystem. All of these will cost you more than non-"Smart" equivalents. As I said, Spektrum is 'copying' Traxxas, and they're (slowly) attempting to "lock" people into this ecosystem. It won't surprise me in the least of they soon release Smart receivers, followed soon after by Smart servos & (sensored) motors. The next step after that would be to have all Horizon Hobby-owned companies include full Smart systems in their RTRs.

This is not to say that the Spektrum Smart system is a "bad" thing...it's not. There are several benefits to it, including the 'safety' you mention. My best suggestion is to read up on it as much as you can, so that you can make an informed decision which person's to yourself. Others, myself included, can't tell you "yes, it's great", or "no, avoid it at all costs"...that's a decision you need to make, yourself. Either way, one thing you need to know/remember is that, whether being sold as individual components, or in "Smart" RTRs versions of Horizon Hobby vehicles, you can be (fairly) certain they'll be charging a premium for these products.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 09:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Just my opinion, don't nobody go taking offence here please

Once my toy trucks are running, all of the fancy stuff these systems do are useless and since I'm in this hobby to play with toy trucks, not just charge batteries, I'll spend the savings on parts that make a difference when running.

My $12 Lipos and $25 Charger from Hobbyking suit me just fine.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Let’s be honest the only reason they want this information is to deny a warranty claim........

I hate when companies limit things to their “world” and at least they are not doing that as the ec3/5 connectors work with IC plugs
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #5
RCC Addict

From average Joe open Hobby and Do It Yourself mentality to corporate greed, welcome to Horizon Hobby INC

This is just an attempt to lock you into their products.

Don't fall for it.
Support local guys and open source connectors, chargers and batteries.
Buy the motor, ESC and servo that YOU want, not the one they chose for you for "compatibility"...

Damn capitalism ruining everything

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:13 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
From average Joe open Hobby and Do It Yourself mentality to corporate greed, welcome to Horizon Hobby INC

This is just an attempt to lock you into their products.
How does this lock you into anything?

Literally the only thing "smart" about these batteries and chargers is it sets the charger for you upon plugging it in. The batteries still have balance connectors and the IC plugs work with regular "dumb" EC series connectors. The Spektrum batteries can be charged with any charger and the Spektrum chargers can charge any battery.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:37 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
How does this lock you into anything?

Literally the only thing "smart" about these batteries and chargers is it sets the charger for you upon plugging it in. The batteries still have balance connectors and the IC plugs work with regular "dumb" EC series connectors. The Spektrum batteries can be charged with any charger and the Spektrum chargers can charge any battery.
It's a step towards a closed Apple-like ecosystem.

Just like the hobbywing AXE system, you are locked to their ESC and motor combo.

You "smart" the battery then at some point the ESC will require spektrum smart batteries and then it will check for the spektrum smart motor or servo.

These "features" always turn into restrictions if money can be made.

Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 01:24 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboucher View Post
It's a step towards a closed Apple-like ecosystem.

Just like the hobbywing AXE system, you are locked to their ESC and motor combo.

You "smart" the battery then at some point the ESC will require spektrum smart batteries and then it will check for the spektrum smart motor or servo.

These "features" always turn into restrictions if money can be made.

Exactly what I was pointing out in my post. The "Smart" ESC (ie. Firma) is already out, so I'm sure a "Smart" motor is already in development. As for that's servo, Spektrum can probably as "Smart" functionality with a simple firmware update.

~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 02:54 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

While this sport and its aftermarket support continues to evolve I'd say stick with the tried and trued products available. There are many sources in which to buy batteries and chargers. With that said, if you haven't already, google or you tube how to charge and store LIPO batteries. There's a lot of information on them. Safety First! Use a battery charging bag and store the LIPO's in that bag too or I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a metal ammo can which seals tight to store mine in. I use 2S 7.4 volt 30C 2200 packs. They have all the juice I need, they are smaller but I get well over and hour run time crawling in my Wraith. And you already know there are different connectors on the batteries, I use Deans also known as "T"connectors.

This sport is a lot of fun WELCOME! Check out this site, https://www.rcmap.io/?fbclid=IwAR2bC...IPyHzTZd6_zRN0
Good information on places to go to. Also utilize your local hobby store as much as possible, maybe they have get together's or know of locals who share the same interests.

Above all go out and have fun!
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #10

I see the market for smart and safe LiPo batteries and chargers, but it's not worth it if you take the time to learn simple concepts. You typocy also get much less control and much less value for your money with those safe systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragenwraith View Post
While this sport and its aftermarket support continues to evolve I'd say stick with the tried and trued products available. There are many sources in which to buy batteries and chargers. With that said, if you haven't already, google or you tube how to charge and store LIPO batteries. There's a lot of information on them. Safety First! Use a battery charging bag and store the LIPO's in that bag too or I went to Harbor Freight and picked up a metal ammo can which seals tight to store mine in. I use 2S 7.4 volt 30C 2200 packs. They have all the juice I need, they are smaller but I get well over and hour run time crawling in my Wraith. And you already know there are different connectors on the batteries, I use Deans also known as "T"connectors.

This sport is a lot of fun WELCOME! Check out this site, https://www.rcmap.io/?fbclid=IwAR2bC...IPyHzTZd6_zRN0
Good information on places to go to. Also utilize your local hobby store as much as possible, maybe they have get together's or know of locals who share the same interests.

Above all go out and have fun!
How do I remove a location from that website?

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 10-08-2019 at 03:21 PM.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Getting into LiPO - Spektrum Smart vs Others - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spektrum dx6r dsmr smart radio system AngelowDoom Electronics 37 05-09-2020 02:37 PM
NOW IN STOCK the NEW Spektrum SMART Chargers & Batteries! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 03-21-2019 02:31 PM