Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sensored motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Sensored motors

Im sure theyve been covered before, but ive not been able to find any info myself.

Wat do yall think of the reedy sonic 540 M3 17.5t, trinity revtech 17.5t, n the arrowmax dash rs tune outlaw 540 17.5t or the fantom ion v4 540 17.5t motors?

Any suggestions on any or all of them? Good bad reviews? All input is much appreciated. Thanks yall

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Last edited by indybama; 10-13-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Added info
indybama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sensored motors

What is the intended usage?

None of them are crawler motors - they all are optimized for 1S-2S racing use, and they all have large openings on the motor can for air cooling when racing on prepared tracks.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
What is the intended usage?

None of them are crawler motors - they all are optimized for 1S-2S racing use, and they all have large openings on the motor can for air cooling when racing on prepared tracks.
Well, that answers that lol. Thought theyd b a good canidated for my vs4. Guess ill look into the HH pp2700

Old 10-14-2019, 06:48 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I appreciate the support!

There are differences between race motors and crawler motors. Race motors (especially spec class stuff) is built for RPM over everything else. Crawler motors (IMHO), should be designed for torque density and smooth startup. Throwing a race or bashing motor into a crawler gives spongy throttle response and typically rough and high RPM startup. They also don't always like being in a bind, since they are designed for high RPM they tend to get hot when put into low RPM high amp draw situations.

If you already have a race motor, it wouldn't be too bad to install it and go. Not optimized, but crawling is better than no crawling! If you are needing to buy one, get a crawler specific motor. But...

Watch out for motors labeled as crawler specific from bottom dollar/ chinese/ ebay vendors. It has become commonplace to rip off the verbiage of my motors and slap them on anything. Three vendors in particular have literally copied and pasted my product descriptions onto theirs. One of them US based, the other two china based. Low speed control, high strength magnets, engineered for crawling, these terms are being put on motors that have none of these things. I have a stack of other brand "crawler" motors that start up horribly and have bottom dollar materials, but are labeled with great sounding descriptions. Buyer beware.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I appreciate the support!

There are differences between race motors and crawler motors. Race motors (especially spec class stuff) is built for RPM over everything else. Crawler motors (IMHO), should be designed for torque density and smooth startup. Throwing a race or bashing motor into a crawler gives spongy throttle response and typically rough and high RPM startup. They also don't always like being in a bind, since they are designed for high RPM they tend to get hot when put into low RPM high amp draw situations.

If you already have a race motor, it wouldn't be too bad to install it and go. Not optimized, but crawling is better than no crawling! If you are needing to buy one, get a crawler specific motor. But...

Watch out for motors labeled as crawler specific from bottom dollar/ chinese/ ebay vendors. It has become commonplace to rip off the verbiage of my motors and slap them on anything. Three vendors in particular have literally copied and pasted my product descriptions onto theirs. One of them US based, the other two china based. Low speed control, high strength magnets, engineered for crawling, these terms are being put on motors that have none of these things. I have a stack of other brand "crawler" motors that start up horribly and have bottom dollar materials, but are labeled with great sounding descriptions. Buyer beware.
I was lookin for a lil budget savings, but the more i think about it, i just as well buy the good stuff n save the hassle. So im goina save my pennys a lil longer n get one of your motors. Which of the 2 pp2700kv would u recommend john? The standard or the stubby?

Old 10-14-2019, 11:05 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
I was lookin for a lil budget savings, but the more i think about it, i just as well buy the good stuff n save the hassle. So im goina save my pennys a lil longer n get one of your motors. Which of the 2 pp2700kv would u recommend john? The standard or the stubby?

From the motors you listed you really arn't going to save much money. ROAR spec motors tend to be kinda pricey.

If you are wanting to save money a Sidewinder 4 and Holmes revolver is probably you best bet. Not sensored but doesn't seem to matter in JRH's testing video. One of our slate motors would also be less expensive to buy than any of the 17.5t motors you listed. Only ROAR spec motor that is cheaper than a crawling specific motor would be the AMain house brand ECO Power or a Hobby King one. A name brand ROAR is never going to be the best bang for the buck in a crawler.

Get a Holmes or a Castle motor designed for crawling and save money in the long run(or even short term in some cases) from not having to replace an under-performing motor.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:27 AM   #7
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I tend to choose the standard 540 over the stubby Puller because it offers a lot more oomph. The stubby is plenty for almost all rigs though.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
From the motors you listed you really arn't going to save much money. ROAR spec motors tend to be kinda pricey.

If you are wanting to save money a Sidewinder 4 and Holmes revolver is probably you best bet. Not sensored but doesn't seem to matter in JRH's testing video. One of our slate motors would also be less expensive to buy than any of the 17.5t motors you listed. Only ROAR spec motor that is cheaper than a crawling specific motor would be the AMain house brand ECO Power or a Hobby King one. A name brand ROAR is never going to be the best bang for the buck in a crawler.

Get a Holmes or a Castle motor designed for crawling and save money in the long run(or even short term in some cases) from not having to replace an under-performing motor.
Thanks robert, much appreciated info. I looked at the slate motor as well. Some of the motors on yall site says 'out of stock'. Im either goin with a slate motor or the hh puller pro

Old 10-14-2019, 04:07 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I tend to choose the standard 540 over the stubby Puller because it offers a lot more oomph. The stubby is plenty for almost all rigs though.
Im more for trail run fun, not comp. Im jumpin on the vs4 train slowly lol. Gatherin up parts for a winter build. Ive got one of your trailmaster sport 21t in my scx10 ii with a mmp esc. Love it, it has enuf wheel speed n crawls perfect. Ive heard nothin but good bout the PP2700kv, which leans me more towards it. Thanks for all the info john, much appreciated brother!

Old 10-14-2019, 05:40 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybama View Post
Im more for trail run fun, not comp. Im jumpin on the vs4 train slowly lol. Gatherin up parts for a winter build. Ive got one of your trailmaster sport 21t in my scx10 ii with a mmp esc. Love it, it has enuf wheel speed n crawls perfect. Ive heard nothin but good bout the PP2700kv, which leans me more towards it. Thanks for all the info john, much appreciated brother!

Hey Indy
How set are you going brushless? I installed the HH Crawler Expert 20T. It should have more than enough to move me VS4. Check me thread out to see what I did. I have it paired with a HW1080. I am not a comp person either and I also lean more towards the trails.
I have a couple of the race motors that you mentioned above plus some of the newer ones from Fantom. I agree with HH that they aren’t designed for crawling. On the other hand me newest Fantom 17.5 is a blast in me race truck
carpetfuzz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetfuzz17 View Post
Hey Indy

How set are you going brushless? I installed the HH Crawler Expert 20T. It should have more than enough to move me VS4. Check me thread out to see what I did. I have it paired with a HW1080. I am not a comp person either and I also lean more towards the trails.

I have a couple of the race motors that you mentioned above plus some of the newer ones from Fantom. I agree with HH that they aren’t designed for crawling. On the other hand me newest Fantom 17.5 is a blast in me race truck
Hey fuzz, hows it goin?

I thought about goin with the 1080 n one of the new crawlmaster sport motors, but think i wanna try BL this time around. Ive got a castle mmx, but would rather have the mamba x

Old 11-03-2019, 04:39 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Don’t know if you tried your 17.5 yet. I run a older Novak ballistic 17.5 and 25.5 and I love them. Good wheel speed with the 17.5 on 2s and nice walking speed with the 25.5 and nice slow speed control. The thing I think is more important with sensored motors is having the right esc that is designed for crawling or you can program the right firmware for crawling

I did just get my first brushed crawling setup a wp1080 and a crawlmaster sport 550 21t and I hope it works as nice as my brushless
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 04:54 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Im goina go with a castle mamba x n a HH puller pro 2700kv wen i get to the electronics part of my build

Sensored motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sensored Outrunner motors- Revolver S JohnRobHolmes Electronics 1174 02-27-2023 02:29 PM
castle sensored motors PileDriver Electronics 19 07-22-2017 10:10 AM
MMP and sensored motors RcBro Electronics 9 06-13-2012 12:20 PM
are all sensored brushless motors work with any sensored esc? jebster Electronics 8 01-02-2012 10:47 AM
Sensored Motors cyberdog Electronics 1 01-08-2010 01:33 PM