RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Soldering ESC and motor (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/612638-soldering-esc-motor.html)

Hoyle 10-22-2019 05:47 AM

Soldering ESC and motor

Hey all, I just started my first crawler build - bought a HW 1080 ESC and a HH 550 21T brushed motor

Should I solder the ESC directly to the motor, or use bullet connectors?

People on Facebook suggest using connectors so I can disconnect/reconnect easily, but I never really do that on any of my other RCs

And if need be, I can use my soldering iron to disconnect them

Thoughts? If you think I should use connectors, suggest a male/female pair that I can buy

Jboucher 10-22-2019 06:03 AM

Re: Soldering ESC and motor

It's fine if you don't mind busting out the soldering iron each time you change the motor.

Just make sure the wires are in the right position for the motor rotation you need.

I had to reverse my motor wires when I first installed that same combo in my Bomber

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hoyle 10-22-2019 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jboucher (Post 5971996)
It's fine if you don't mind busting out the soldering iron each time you change the motor.

Just make sure the wires are in the right position for the motor rotation you need.

I had to reverse my motor wires when I first installed that same combo in my Bomber

Is it common to change motors often?

Xx Losungen xX 10-22-2019 06:15 AM

If I ran a brushed motor I probably wouldn't solder it just so I could carry a cheapo spare and swap it easily on the trail if need be.

brimdogg 10-22-2019 06:39 AM

I use 4mm bullets, makes it easier to change the motor and to reverse the rotation if needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Greatscott 10-22-2019 06:48 AM

You can go either way, it is all up to what you like. Some of us are constant tinkerers, and are continually swapping stuff around, so bullet connectors work for us. If you are not one of those guys, then solder it up and call it good.

Hoyle 10-22-2019 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greatscott (Post 5972008)
You can go either way, it is all up to what you like. Some of us are constant tinkerers, and are continually swapping stuff around, so bullet connectors work for us. If you are not one of those guys, then solder it up and call it good.

This is my first crawler, and I'm not using it for competitions, so I think I will be good going this route.

If I change my mind in the future, removing a solder connection takes about a minute :mrgreen:

Xx Losungen xX 10-22-2019 09:07 AM

Where I usually run is almost always muddy and wet. Every two runs or so someone is toasting a brushed motor and doing a trail swap.

Depending on where you run, I'd suggest using bullets and carrying even a cheapo spare motor like a rc4wd with possibly even spare pinion attached.

Hoyle 10-22-2019 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX (Post 5972043)
Where I usually run is almost always muddy and wet. Every two runs or so someone is toasting a brushed motor and doing a trail swap.

Depending on where you run, I'd suggest using bullets and carrying even a cheapo spare motor like a rc4wd with possibly even spare pinion attached.

If mud and water kills a motor that fast, should I look at a brushless system instead?

That seems kind of crazy to burn motors up that easily.

Jboucher 10-22-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoyle (Post 5972045)
If mud and water kills a motor that fast, should I look at a brushless system instead?

That seems kind of crazy to burn motors up that easily.

It will kill a brushless just as fast if you don't do any kind of maintenance...

Clean, dry and lube the bearings after any water, mud or heavy dirt run

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Xx Losungen xX 10-22-2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jboucher (Post 5972052)
It will kill a brushless just as fast if you don't do any kind of maintenance...

My experience and those of the guys I run with are certainly different. Everyone's mileage certainly is different.

Voodoobrew 10-22-2019 11:16 AM

If you have to solder bullet connectors onto a new motor you don't save any time. If you have a portable soldering iron you can change motors on the trail too.

It's all preference.

I solder whenever I can. Less chance of anything going wrong on the trail.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

toys222 10-22-2019 11:46 AM

I had the same question when I installed mine and ultimately I chose to install an xt60 connection. I used a black xt60 connector to differentiate it from the battery connector. Like already mentioned just make sure you get the polarity right. Have fun!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...ee9af5a04c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

odomandr 10-22-2019 01:41 PM

Another vote for bullet connectors. Makes on trail repair easier. I’d prefer not to solder on the trail as the bench setup works much better.

Xx Losungen xX 10-23-2019 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 5972082)
If you have to solder bullet connectors onto a new motor you don't save any time. If you have a portable soldering iron you can change motors on the trail too.

Any more details on your setup that makes soldering a motor and esc on the trail just as quick as plugging them in? Very curious about this.

Hoyle 10-23-2019 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX (Post 5972251)
Any more details on your setup that makes soldering a motor and esc on the trail just as quick as plugging them in? Very curious about this.

I don't believe he was saying it would be as quick

I believe he was giving suggestions

Xx Losungen xX 10-23-2019 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoyle (Post 5972252)
I don't believe he was saying it would be as quick

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 5972082)
If you have to solder bullet connectors onto a new motor you don't save any time.

[emoji848]

toys222 10-23-2019 12:26 PM

If you use bullet or any other connector vs direct solder you could have your spare motor connectors pre-soldered. That would make for a quick trail swap if needed.

Voodoobrew 10-24-2019 07:42 AM

I suposed it depends on your soldering level. But this setup heats up in seconds on the trail. https://www.amazon.com/UY-CHAN-Progr...language=en_US

toys222 10-24-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voodoobrew (Post 5972547)
I suposed it depends on your soldering level. But this setup heats up in seconds on the trail. https://www.amazon.com/UY-CHAN-Progr...language=en_US

What a cool tool...didn't know they had something like that! "thumbsup"