Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Need options. Want to simplify power delivery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Question Need options. Want to simplify power delivery

Looking for some suggestions.

I've got a TRX-4 with an RC4WD winch and a Traxxas light kit. Both have their own wireless remotes, which I love.

I'm running a power tap from my main battery (which is either a 2s lipo or 8.4v NIMH) to power the lighting, and a 9v battery to run the winch (power goes into the winch remote, then into the winch).

I'd rather not run a separate battery for the winch as it clutters the inside of the rig and it's just one more thing to worry about (the 9v battery box isn't as waterproof as the rest of the electronics).

Could I connect the winch/wireless receiver directly to my ESC to power it? The operating voltage for the wireless winch receiver and winch is 6V to 11.1V.
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2019, 09:11 AM   #2

Default Re: Need options. Want to simplify power delivery

If the winch can run on 6-11.1v, then yes, you can tap directly off your primary battery. When I do this, I do it by paralleling an auxiliary power feed off the back side of the ESC battery plug. I typically do this by soldering a 6" or 12" lead with a JST plug on the other end directly to the back side of my XT60 ESC plug prior to melting the heat shrink in place. This gives me the ability to power other hardware (lights, winch, etc) directly from the battery, or wiring in a boost/buck converter if the application requires some voltage other than battery voltage.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashNSlash View Post
Looking for some suggestions.

I've got a TRX-4 with an RC4WD winch and a Traxxas light kit. Both have their own wireless remotes, which I love.

I'm running a power tap from my main battery (which is either a 2s lipo or 8.4v NIMH) to power the lighting, and a 9v battery to run the winch (power goes into the winch remote, then into the winch).

I'd rather not run a separate battery for the winch as it clutters the inside of the rig and it's just one more thing to worry about (the 9v battery box isn't as waterproof as the rest of the electronics).

Could I connect the winch/wireless receiver directly to my ESC to power it? The operating voltage for the wireless winch receiver and winch is 6V to 11.1V.
Yes, I always run a JST lead directly from the battery plug on all my rigs now. As long as you keep your battery to no more than a 3s lipo, it'll be fine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
Yes, I always run a JST lead directly from the battery plug on all my rigs now. As long as you keep your battery to no more than a 3s lipo, it'll be fine.

If memory serves, people have determined a full 3S will actually blow the winch controller as it's rated for 11.1V and not the 12.6V a 3S actually is..

I could be mistaken about that but for some reason I seem to remember a conversation a while back and that was the conclusion.

I just run my winch controllers off the Rx power which I typically have set to 6-6.5V.

Either way, OP is running 2S LiPo or 7cell NiMh so it's a non-issue here.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
If memory serves, people have determined a full 3S will actually blow the winch controller as it's rated for 11.1V and not the 12.6V a 3S actually is..

I could be mistaken about that but for some reason I seem to remember a conversation a while back and that was the conclusion.

I just run my winch controllers off the Rx power which I typically have set to 6-6.5V.

Either way, OP is running 2S LiPo or 7cell NiMh so it's a non-issue here.
That could be, I switched to an old ESC that I modded, so I can't remember for sure what I was running it on.

brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
If the winch can run on 6-11.1v, then yes, you can tap directly off your primary battery.
Could I draw power from the receiver box, like I do with led headlights in my other truck? That would be the cleanest (and most waterproof) solution for me, as I'd prefer not to have another power tap from the battery lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
When I do this, I do it by paralleling an auxiliary power feed off the back side of the ESC battery plug. I typically do this by soldering a 6" or 12" lead with a JST plug on the other end directly to the back side of my XT60 ESC plug prior to melting the heat shrink in place. This gives me the ability to power other hardware (lights, winch, etc) directly from the battery, or wiring in a boost/buck converter if the application requires some voltage other than battery voltage.
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of this setup, would you?
Old 10-23-2019, 10:25 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post

I have a power tap from the battery to the power box for my Traxxas light system (it regulates the voltage, so it doesn't matter how many cells I use).

But since I have my Mamba X locked to 6v, I'm wondering if I could just wire up the winch to my receiver box using a standard servo wire connected to the winch receiver box.
Old 10-23-2019, 10:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yes you can run the winch directly off the receiver, only thing to consider with that is since you're feeding it 6V you will sacrifice some of the winch's power/torque compared to running at 11.1V. Depending on how much you use and demand from it this might not even be an issue.

When I want the most out of a winch in terms of power I use a BEC to get the right voltage though this can be complicated if you're running a servo off the BEC as well and need to use a different voltage. If thats the case you'll likely want to back down the voltage so both are happy and safe or come up with another solution.

EDIT: heres what Jim85IROC was describing with the Aux wire coming off the battery plug.

On some ESC's with exposed solder points you can also solder the lead in right at the ESC which keeps the battery plug wire simple.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 10-23-2019 at 10:50 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #9

Who makes the bar between the shock towers in the picture above?
davis53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 11:11 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis53 View Post
Who makes the bar between the shock towers in the picture above?
I just re-purposed one of my extra Ascender links, its really close to fitting perfect but It needs a few washers added. This is on an Ascender in case anyone is wondering.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:43 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
Yes you can run the winch directly off the receiver, only thing to consider with that is since you're feeding it 6V you will sacrifice some of the winch's power/torque compared to running at 11.1V. Depending on how much you use and demand from it this might not even be an issue.

When I want the most out of a winch in terms of power I use a BEC to get the right voltage though this can be complicated if you're running a servo off the BEC as well and need to use a different voltage. If thats the case you'll likely want to back down the voltage so both are happy and safe or come up with another solution.

EDIT: heres what Jim85IROC was describing with the Aux wire coming off the battery plug.

On some ESC's with exposed solder points you can also solder the lead in right at the ESC which keeps the battery plug wire simple.
Many thanks! I'm going to try the receiver route - while the winch is super strong, I'm only looking to use it for light/general recovery, nothing crazy. But I'll test and compare it with the 9v I have now and see if it's even worth going that route or if I should just make another power tap.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

You can get a nice 5c reciever like the dx5c and power it from that. Or use that to control some of the "hey ok" controllers.

Hey ok is a vender in these forums who custom makes all kinds of controllers for lights and winches. If he dosent already make exactly what you want, he probably can if you ask nicely. Prices are pretty good.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 07:52 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quick update: I soldered the appropriate servo wires together and got it plugged into a free channel on my receiver and it worked just fine! The 8274 winch is definitely not getting all the power it would like through this setup, but it's been strong enough to already winch assist my heavy TRX4 several times up hill.

Thanks for all the help!

Need options. Want to simplify power delivery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re Power Options for LCC Arsenix2001 Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 02-12-2015 01:02 AM
Power delivery issues mszymanski25 Electronics 5 06-12-2013 03:36 AM
tc3 power options mud_life_19 Rally 4 01-17-2012 02:55 PM
Omg!!! Someone please simplify battery options for my ax10!!!!!!! donhd04 Electronics 28 12-29-2011 11:07 PM
Power options egdinger Tamiya TLT Crawlers 2 12-07-2004 04:51 PM