Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Micro X Crawler Edition - Reverse Too Fast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Mamba Micro X Crawler Edition - Reverse Too Fast

Just got the Mamba Micro X Crawler Edition and so far really liking it compared to the Tazer ESC I was using. The resolution at low throttle is awesome and there's no delay when I just barely touch the throttle.

But my reverse is like in turbo. I do plan to get the Castle USB Link to program the ESC but is there an adjustment I can make just through the radio to make the reverse tame like the forward? For now, I've just cranked down the reverse EPA to like 30.
the.ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mamba Micro X Crawler Edition - Reverse Too Fast

Sounds to me like the throttle on your ESC is reversed.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I believe you can adjust the reverse amount via "stick program" but I can't remember how at the moment.
If you have the book, it should tell you how to do it in there.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 12:34 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys. You were right Panther. But I couldn't just reverse the channel. I just swapped one of the wires and that did it.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:48 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
Thanks guys. You were right Panther. But I couldn't just reverse the channel. I just swapped one of the wires and that did it.
That's one way of doing it...if using a brushless motor, swapping any of the wires (A, B or C) will reverse direction...but that's a "temporary" fix. As soon as you have the ability to program your ESC, changes the wires back to the way they're supposed to be, and then reverse motor direction their the ESC programming.

Of course, if you have one of the more advanced transmitters, you can also reverse throttle their the Txs settings, which is what I did with my first HW ESC & motor, as I didn't yet have the programmer (obviously, I have it now).

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 04:39 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Now get a castle link, reverse it there. Then set a smooth throttle curve and enjoy creeping

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 06:30 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

once you have the castle link you can program the break that also sets the reverse throtle curve reverse becomes nice and smooth
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 09:57 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default has 100% forward power, 50% reverse power. Your radio may be sending it's signal backwards from what the ESC is expecting to see. Lift the tires off the ground and look at the LEDs on the ESC while you give it different throttle positions. It should be showing a yellow LED at neutral, red LED when going in reverse, and green LED when going forward. It sounds like your radio is backwards. You need to reverse the radio channel and program the ESC to reverse the motor direction. You can either change the ESC with Castle Link or with Stick Programming. Details about stick programming are found in the manual and we have a video on our youtube explaining how to use it.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:26 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys and thanks Castle. I did order the Castle Link with the free coupon and looking forward to tweaking the settings for my crawler.

My radio (Futaba 4PL) does allow me to do a lot with channels including reversing them. But when I reversed the channels, while going backwards was no longer in turbo, the actual controls were reversed - pulling back on the trigger to go forward resulted in the car going backward. I really just wanted to get to run the car and knowing from my drone building background, I could just swap two wires to reverse the motors. I am not sure why I was getting this result when I reversed the channel in my radio though. Although now, everything seems to run fine. Not sure it bears noting but these are sensorless brushless motors.

Also, I did run through the calibration correctly I made sure of that. And lastly, I can confirm that currently (after swapping the wires and ensuring proper ESC calibration) that I am getting yellow at neutral, green forward, and red reverse.

[edit] Robert@castle, can I confirm there are no markings on the ESC or packaging itself that distinguish it as the rock crawler edition? I just went by the product SKU and vendor's word. I am new to surface RC and this is my first Mamba ESC so I don't know what the non-rock crawler version feels like. I can tell you that compared to the Horizon Hobby Dynamite ESC I was using, I have MUCH more low end throttle resolution and immediate startup with the slightest pull of the trigger which is exactly what I wanted for this Yeti Jr 1/18 rock crawler.

Last edited by the.ronin; 10-31-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Fair warning: The reversing 2 wires only works on sensorless motors. If you ever try it on a sensored motor you will likely blow up your ESC. Always use the Castle Link settings to reverse a sensored motor.

Mamba Micro X(010-0147-xx):
Red, Black, and White motor wires
All wires soldered directly to the board and are not replaceable
3.5mm motor bullets

Mamba Micro X Crawler Edition(010-0162-xx):
Black motor wires
All wires soldered to solder posts and are replaceable
4.0mm motor bullets

Both have 16 gauge wires and the exact same software. The main difference is the 4.0mm motor bullets to make it compatible with our slate motors. It's easier for us to make 2 versions of the ESC than it is to stock twice as many motor versions to make them work with one ESC.
There should be a sticker on the packaging to indicate that it is a crawler edition, but other than that the packaging is identical.

For an online retailer, the part number is probably the best indication if it is the correct part.
Our part numbers always start with 010 unless they are for an OEM customer like Holmes Hobbies, Traxxas, ect.
The middle 4 digits always indicate the model, 0147 is the normal version and 0162 is the crawler edition.
The last 2 digits indicate different packaging combos. 00 is pretty much always ESC only and then 01, 02, 03, ect.. indicate which motor comes with them.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:12 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Yup that's the one I got. And yes, I am using a sensorless brushless motor. I suspected that would be fine since the wires seemed to be specific only for sensored motors. But good to know it's also dangerous for sensored motors.

Although the software is the same, are the settings changed at all from the regular Micro? Or are the differences purely physical in nature?

I'm waiting on a Holmes Revolver 350 motor to pair these with. Right now I am still running the overly high 4200KV Fuze mini motor on these and it runs prohibitively hot with the stock 16T pinion. It runs dangerously hot with a 14T. And I ended up shredding the teeth right off an ill-fitting 10T LOL ... adventures in noob rock crawling
Old 10-31-2019, 08:18 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.ronin View Post
Yup that's the one I got. And yes, I am using a sensorless brushless motor. I suspected that would be fine since the wires seemed to be specific only for sensored motors. But good to know it's also dangerous for sensored motors.

Although the software is the same, are the settings changed at all from the regular Micro? Or are the differences purely physical in nature?

I'm waiting on a Holmes Revolver 350 motor to pair these with. Right now I am still running the overly high 4200KV Fuze mini motor on these and it runs prohibitively hot with the stock 16T pinion. It runs dangerously hot with a 14T. And I ended up shredding the teeth right off an ill-fitting 10T LOL ... adventures in noob rock crawling
The actual controller board is the same. I have a couple of the "regular" Micro X and one "Crawler" version. They both run the same.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 11:12 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Brining up an old thread instead of starting a new one, I recently installed a castle micro x crawler and 2850kv slate motor in my lcg/Capra. Used the castle link to reverse the throttle so the radio is on normal. Yellow at neutral green forward and red reverse. Set up a throttle curve and cut reverse to 80%.
This thing is a hot rod in reverse.. like lift the tires off the ground right now and it’s peppy going forward but a little confused why it’s so hot in reverse. Idk if it’s because I have the throttle curve setup but at 80% reverse I thought it would be more mellow. I’ll be tuning it down more just wanted to see if anyone has any insight. FWIW dx5c sr515
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 05:47 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Its a little misleading, but you can use the brake curve to set up your reverse throttle. I fought the nitro reverse for a while too and then i found that...

Lou
TK421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Thanks Lou, I think I figured it out.. just needed to use my brain a little bit more.. sorry been a long week. I believe it’s from the 36% overdrive up front and all the weight. 8oz up front in brass and 4oz out back. I’ll be toning the reverse down to about 50% and re-evaluating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mamba Micro X Crawler Edition - Reverse Too Fast - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mamba micro X crawler ESC Teng Electronics 8 09-19-2019 05:29 PM
mamba micro mini crawler edition 32.99!!!! xlostonex Electronics 10 11-15-2018 12:50 PM
Mamba Micro Pro In A SCX10 55T Brushed Crawler? wax Axial SCX-10 5 07-22-2010 01:43 PM