Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless unsensored motors low speed problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Brushless unsensored motors low speed problems

I have a 1800kv Holmes Hobbies revolver and a 1750 3 brothers yellow jacket sensorless brushed motors, both connected to a castle mamba x and a sidewinder 4. When I get to very low speed in Rock crawling (just when you need smoothness land lowest speed), I get this tremble, like they hesitate back and forward, which really mess up everything and makes me loose control.
Is it a configuration problem?
Or I just need to get brushless sensored or brushed motors?
Thanks for your help.
Mr. Crawley EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Brushless unsensored motors low speed problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crawley EC View Post
I have a 1800kv Holmes Hobbies revolver and a 1750 3 brothers yellow jacket sensorless brushed motors, both connected to a castle mamba x and a sidewinder 4. When I get to very low speed in Rock crawling (just when you need smoothness land lowest speed), I get this tremble, like they hesitate back and forward, which really mess up everything and makes me loose control.
Is it a configuration problem?
Or I just need to get brushless sensored or brushed motors?
Thanks for your help.

Both are outrunners and should be fine sensorless. I've got the HH 1800kv Revolver paired with a Mamba-X on my TRX and it's low speed control, start-up and feel are phenomenal. It will creep at a nearly undetectable speed. I'd pull your ESC's up in CastleLink and check all your settings. There's a Holmes Hobbies video posted here somewhere that runs through ideal, baseline settings. What is your Spur gear tooth count? Pinion Count? Final drive ratio? What packs / voltage are you running?
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:10 PM   #3
RCC Addict

What's your gearing? I can barely tell a difference between my Revolver and my Puller Pro on startup (both run from Mamba X's with the same throttle curves), but the car with the Revolver is geared 65:1 and is run on 4s to get some wheel speed out of it. The brushed Crawlmaster is smoother for sure, but both sensored and non-sensored outrunner with low gearing are both on par with at least a cheap brushed motor for startup... with way more power. If you don't want/need brushless power, there's nothing wrong with going brushed, but I'd try gearing down before switching back.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

88t spour, 21t motor pinion, 48t. Runing on 3S. Tuned the ESC according to John Holmes video. I’m sure I’m doing something wrong since inn new to the gear relation .
Mr. Crawley EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 01:35 PM   #5
RCC Addict

That's pretty tall gearing, of course without knowing the rest of your drivetrain (transmission and axles) it's hard to say. Try dropping down on the pinion to something like 14 or 15 and see how that goes. Should make it about 30% smoother... and slower. If it's smooth enough then, but you now find it too slow, bump up to 4s (at least on the car with a Mamba X) to get more rpm out of it.

Last edited by TheLetterJ; 11-04-2019 at 01:47 PM.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, 88 - 21 is way too tall. Drop that pinion to a 15t and that gets you in about 5.8 : 1.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushless unsensored motors low speed problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Running a sensored brushless motor unsensored with water CoolRunning Electronics 9 03-22-2017 12:33 PM
Sensored retrofit for unsensored brushless motor ik632 Electronics 5 08-08-2012 05:26 PM