Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hobbywing 1080 on TRX4 Blazer questions!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 07:10 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question Hobbywing 1080 on TRX4 Blazer questions!

This sounds like a good upgrade from Traxxas stock electronics. My question is would I lose the different modes (trail, crawling, etc) if I switched? Also will this affect how fast my Blazer will run on the 2 speed tranny? I use 3s and it scoots (for a crawler) with stock ESC. Lastly, the Traxxas Light Kit has a red plug that goes into the Traxxas ESC. If I got a Hobbywing 1080, where would I put that plug?

I have a 1080 on my Scout and love it, just wondering how it would be on the Blazer what with the different modes and speeds, etc.

Thanks!
Mudsplat79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2019, 07:23 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Hobbywing 1080 on TRX4 Blazer questions!

My question is would I lose the different modes (trail, crawling, etc) if I switched? -Yes, the modes are part of the ESC.

Also will this affect how fast my Blazer will run on the 2 speed tranny? I use 3s and it scoots (for a crawler) with stock ESC. -It shouldn't affect the speed, but wherever you set the drag brake is where it would stay until reprogrammed.

Lastly, the Traxxas Light Kit has a red plug that goes into the Traxxas ESC. If I got a Hobbywing 1080, where would I put that plug?
-You just need a JST plug. If you can solder, you can add it on to the power plug. Otherwise a passthrough adapter would be the next best option.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
brimdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:31 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudsplat79 View Post
My question is would I lose the different modes (trail, crawling, etc) if I switched?
Yes and no.

The different modes are just groups of preset ESC settings that are changed together. The 1080 has all the adjustments of the Traxxas ESC and many more. You can set the 1080 to mimic the Traxxas modes, you just have to tune the settings individually instead of in preset groups. In reality, once you have a setting that you are happy with, you won't really be switching things up much.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys, I just went to my local hobby shop and picked up the Hobbywing 1080 along with a Traxxas light kit for my Blazer. Got a deans male connector and will get it soldered and all setup this weekend.

Looking forward to upgrading these electronics.
Old 11-08-2019, 10:28 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

You are going to love that esc, its smoother and much more adjustable than stock plus a good internal esc to boot.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Got the brass outer portals on all four installed, and then setup the Hobbywing 1080 on the Blazer this weekend. Wire that goes to the receiver box is very short, but I got it to reach. LOVE the way it drives! Much cleaner looking than the XL-5.

It has an option for BEC 7.4v. From what I understand it helps the car run faster and also boosts the servo power and speed. I have an Annimos 25kg servo. Should I keep it at 6v or 7.4v? The Annimos servo says it peaks at 6.8V.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Got the brass outer portals on all four installed, and then setup the Hobbywing 1080 on the Blazer this weekend. Wire that goes to the receiver box is very short, but I got it to reach. LOVE the way it drives! Much cleaner looking than the XL-5.

It has an option for BEC 7.4v. From what I understand it helps the car run faster and also boosts the servo power and speed. I have an Annimos 25kg servo. Should I keep it at 6v or 7.4v? The Annimos servo says it peaks at 6.8V.
If you are using the stock radio, no. 7.4VDC will fry the stock receiver.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brimdogg View Post
Lastly, the Traxxas Light Kit has a red plug that goes into the Traxxas ESC. If I got a Hobbywing 1080, where would I put that plug?
-You just need a JST plug. If you can solder, you can add it on to the power plug. Otherwise a passthrough adapter would be the next best option.

I can solder, but am wondering how I ad the JST plug since my setup is already soldered and working. Where exactly would I solder this? I have all deans connectors soldered on instead of the traxxas wires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
If you are using the stock radio, no. 7.4VDC will fry the stock receiver.
Yes I am using the stock receiver. Thanks for letting me know! I'll keep it at 6v. I'm guessing if I ever upgrade the servo to a Savox I'd need a BEC.
Old 11-11-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

"I can solder, but am wondering how I ad the JST plug since my setup is already soldered and working. Where exactly would I solder this? I have all deans connectors soldered on instead of the traxxas wires."

I usually just add a JST pigtail right at the battery connector of the ESC, but you can do it inline also I'd figure.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
"I can solder, but am wondering how I ad the JST plug since my setup is already soldered and working. Where exactly would I solder this? I have all deans connectors soldered on instead of the traxxas wires."

I usually just add a JST pigtail right at the battery connector of the ESC, but you can do it inline also I'd figure.

Do you have a picture of what they would look like? Sorry, I just need a visual so I know how it's supposed to be setup.

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2019, 10:35 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hopefully this helps, I solder it right at the battery plug.
This one happens to be a xt60-h, so it has a cover on the end. But it's just positive to positive and negative to negative.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the picture. So I have a deans plug. Basically I will need to solder both the wires from the ESC and the JST plug onto the two metal ends of the Deans to get it to work? There is not a lot of room on the deans to solder, but I guess I could tin the opposite metal connector and make it work.

I'm not the best at soldering, so this should be a nice challenge.
Old 11-12-2019, 06:43 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thanks for the picture. So I have a deans plug. Basically I will need to solder both the wires from the ESC and the JST plug onto the two metal ends of the Deans to get it to work? There is not a lot of room on the deans to solder, but I guess I could tin the opposite metal connector and make it work.

Either that or I have done it with a passthrough adapter. Basically a male and female plug that I soldered the lead onto.

Old 11-12-2019, 06:49 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Soldering is like math, it isn't learned, its practiced....

With that, recommend getting and extra Deans plug or two, some 14ga and 18ga wire, and practicing before you put heat to parts you want to use. Also, don't forget the heat shrink.

Quote:
Either that or I have done it with a passthrough adapter. Basically a male and female plug that I soldered the lead onto.

Here is what he is talking about, post 25, 2nd picture shows my pass-through adapter.

Greatscott's TRX-6

I actually have both techniques at work here, The JST for the lights is wired directly into the Mamba-X's Deans, the pass-through is going to the winch's ESC.

Last edited by Greatscott; 11-12-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 06:56 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Soldering is like math, it isn't learned, its practiced....

With that, recommend getting and extra Deans plug or two, some 14ga and 18ga wire, and practicing before you put heat to parts you want to use. Also, don't forget the heat shrink.

I'm not sure how I am going to put heat shrink from the ESC wire to the deans battery connector as well as another heat shrink wire from the JST to the deans battery connector. Once I solder both on each end I won't be able to get the heat shrink in on each side because they'll have to wires soldered to the deans connector.

I am actively searching for a video on YouTube to see how I can get this done right.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:04 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm not sure how I am going to put heat shrink from the ESC wire to the deans battery connector as well as another heat shrink wire from the JST to the deans battery connector. Once I solder both on each end I won't be able to get the heat shrink in on each side because they'll have to wires soldered to the deans connector.

I am actively searching for a video on YouTube to see how I can get this done right.
Pass both wires through the heat shrink. I'll try to take a picture in a bit if I can.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:13 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Pass both wires through the heat shrink. I'll try to take a picture in a bit if I can.

Thank you. I had another thought. Since the Hobbywing 1080 already has connectors on the controller itself where the programming card would go. Could I put the JST connector in there instead to power the lights? And of course, just remove it when I need to program my ESC again?
Old 11-12-2019, 07:15 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Thank you. I had another thought. Since the Hobbywing 1080 already has connectors on the controller itself where the programming card would go. Could I put the JST connector in there instead to power the lights? And of course, just remove it when I need to program my ESC again?
Yeah actually you probably could now that I think about it. The Traxxas lights are a pretty small draw honestly.

Old 11-12-2019, 07:24 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Yeah actually you probably could now that I think about it. The Traxxas lights are a pretty small draw honestly.

Sweet! I just have to check when I go home tonight to see if the JST connector will reach the ESC. I put it in the stock location as the XL-5, but there is no connector coming off the 1080 to reach the Light Kit JST like the XL-5 does.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:27 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

Haven't had time to work on it yet, but apparently the traxxas light power unit converts a 5-11.1v source into 3v for the lights. Hobbywing website says the port on the 1080 for programming card is able to support a fan, so hopefully this will be enough.

I tried asking Traxxas support if they thought it would work and he declined to answer since the HW isn't there product.

Last edited by Mudsplat79; 11-13-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Hobbywing 1080 on TRX4 Blazer questions! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hobbywing 1080 settings Jboucher Electronics 80 04-25-2020 02:48 PM
Hobbywing 1080 no reverse? davis53 Electronics 10 08-02-2019 07:27 PM
TRX4 Hobbywing 1080 noob question Edgar W Newbie General 7 06-20-2019 04:58 AM
Hobbywing 1080 issue? jakehinds Electronics 5 03-25-2019 01:30 AM
Hobbywing 1080 krazee Traxxas TRX-4 2 12-21-2017 09:03 PM