Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: TRX-6 Light Module Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default TRX-6 Light Module Questions

Hey all

I got a TRX-6 and wanted to switch the ESC. I don’t know how to wire up the lighting. There is a module inside the body as well as one on the chassis. It looks like it’s wired to the stock esc to get power right from the battery. If so, it’s 11.1v using a 3s battery.

If I switch to a mamba x and 4s how can I wire it up? Do I need to use a CC BEC to be able to regulate the voltage sent to it? I run my servo at 7.4v on the mamba internal bec. Would that be sufficient voltage?

Thank you for any help.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2020, 10:22 AM   #2

Default Re: TRX-6 Light Module Questions

The module in the chassis is a voltage regulator, so it always sends ~3V to the lights, no matter which battery or esc is used. You just need to wire up the aux wires that run to the chassis voltage regulator to the new esc battery terminals, just like stock. Note, there is a 3rd wire running from the regulator to the receiver, but you don’t need to touch it. It just sends a turn-on signal to the voltage regulator when the esc is switched on.
cbope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: TRX-6 Light Module Questions

As you have already noted, the stock XL5 ESC the Red JST connector is tied in with the battery leads where they attach to the ESC. You simply need to solder in a similar JST tap in the battery wires on the new ESC. Because I switched to XT60 connectors, I just soldered my JST tap to the plug at the same time I installed them. That said, it is possible you could damage the light voltage regular if you try to run it off of a 4s battery since it is only rated for a 2s or 3s.

Also just a question, are you still running the stock Traxxas receiver? If so be advised that the RX is only rated for 6v or you risk burning it out. So you must set the Mamba X to supply 6v to the RX then you will need a seperate BEC to supply 7.4v to the servo. I use a HH crossover harness for this and it works great. Alternatively, you might consider a Savox 1230SG servo which is rated at 500 oz in at 6v making it a nice match to the rest of the TRX4 electronics eliminating the need for a separate BEC.

Last edited by Inspector86; 04-19-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote

TRX-6 Light Module Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
In Stock - New MyTrickRC Attack LED Light Kit w/ 5" Light Bar for TRX-4 Defender! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 10-11-2018 12:32 PM
Trx-4 led light kit Dazaj Traxxas TRX-4 5 10-08-2017 03:54 AM
Review: MORE LED module for Vanquish Rigid Industries LED light bars JasonInAugusta Electronics 29 04-04-2014 08:29 AM