Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Ergonomic Radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Ergonomic Radio

Anyone have any insights on a good radio that is more ergonomic than the stock 4 channel TRX4 radio? I often operate my radio with one hand using my thumb to reach the steering. The stock radio that just isn't happening.

I'm not particularly stuck to any brand, however I've been using a futaba T3pm for ages now. I like the radio grip and the location of the steering quite a lot. However I wish it had a little more heft to it. I've noticed on many 4+ channel pistol grip transmitters the additional channels outside of steering and throttle tend to be 2 way. The TRX4 needs to have one of those channels that run at least 3 positions. I'd prefer to have a toggle like the current radio and not a cycling button.

I've got some Spektrum stick radios, but I don't really care for them much for surface use. Although I do like the radios. I was considering the Futaba 7px or the Spektrum dx6r. Anyone have any insight on those, or other radios?
xjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2019, 06:27 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Ergonomic Radio

I have a 7PX, and it's outstanding. There are 4 DT switches that you could set to function as 3-way switches. Additionally, there's a dial/button that could be set (the dial part, obviously...tho, I'd suggest using the DT switches) as a 3-way switch. I use the same controller for all of my off-road racers, my on-road car, and now my crawlers.

For vehicles that use, or we'll use, the Castle Mamba X, I've got that dial/button set to control the rock-crawler/rock-racer function, as well as manual adjustment for the drag brake. For my Capra, until I (temporarily) decided to give up on the 3-position dig, I had set DT4 as a 3-way to operate the dig's 4WD, FWD w/ freewheeling rear, & FWD w/ locked rear.

While the 7PX might be on the "expensive" side, getting it means there's a high probability you'll never have to upgrade ever again. It can control every type of ground vehicle you can think of, including tanks, 4-wheel steering, ESC mixing, servo mixing, etc. For aerial, Spektrum is probably the best way to go...and, for group, it's a toss-up between Futaba, Flysky, & Sanwa/Airtronics...tho, I'll stick with Futaba.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:14 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I run a Rugged and operate it entirely one handed.

The switches are conveniently placed for one handed and can be assigned to whatever switch type you want.

I run 3 auxiliary switches on the pistol grip.

Winch on momentary 3 position.
Lights on latching 2 position.
Mamba X Aux on latching 2 position.

No need to put my beer down to operate, win win!

Does take time getting used to bloody awful menu and navigation system but once you so, it's cake.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I have a 7PX, and it's outstanding. There are 4 DT switches that you could set to function as 3-way switches. Additionally, there's a dial/button that could be set (the dial part, obviously...tho, I'd suggest using the DT switches) as a 3-way switch. I use the same controller for all of my off-road racers, my on-road car, and now my crawlers.

For vehicles that use, or we'll use, the Castle Mamba X, I've got that dial/button set to control the rock-crawler/rock-racer function, as well as manual adjustment for the drag brake. For my Capra, until I (temporarily) decided to give up on the 3-position dig, I had set DT4 as a 3-way to operate the dig's 4WD, FWD w/ freewheeling rear, & FWD w/ locked rear.

While the 7PX might be on the "expensive" side, getting it means there's a high probability you'll never have to upgrade ever again. It can control every type of ground vehicle you can think of, including tanks, 4-wheel steering, ESC mixing, servo mixing, etc. For aerial, Spektrum is probably the best way to go...and, for group, it's a toss-up between Futaba, Flysky, & Sanwa/Airtronics...tho, I'll stick with Futaba.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place

I was just looking at the futaba, it seems like they only have a 4 channel receiver. I also don't seem to see a futaba 7 channel available. Am I beginning to get into stick radio areas? I'd like something where I can control both diff locks seperately and a winch.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjman View Post
I was just looking at the futaba, it seems like they only have a 4 channel receiver. I also don't seem to see a futaba 7 channel available. Am I beginning to get into stick radio areas? I'd like something where I can control both diff locks seperately and a winch.
Futaba makes several receivers with more than 4 channels. You were probably searching "surface only" receivers. In addition to "surface only" receivers, and "air only" receivers, Futaba makes receivers that can be used for either (just so you are aware, the same holds true for their service). A perfect example would be the R2006GS (I'm using one in my Axial Capra), which is a 6-channel Rx, originally classified as "air only", but since redesignated for any use.

Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 04:56 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks. Some how I had it in my head the air receivers wouldn't connect to the pistol grip transmitters on their FASST stuff. Maybe it didn't used to or something or it was another radio I was thinking about.

Ergonomic Radio - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radio ideas: surface radio + full mixing of front/rear throttle karajabola Electronics 6 11-21-2014 08:17 PM
Aux channel dig radio/servo question DX3R radio... Master Basher Electronics 0 02-10-2014 12:29 PM
What radios are you guys using? stick radio or pistol grip radio?? yellowpasta2000 Newbie General 14 11-28-2009 09:10 AM
Convince me why I should buy a 3pm-x radio over a 2pl radio BadRockNoCookie Electronics 6 11-13-2009 06:23 PM