RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   High End Servo Suggestions (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/614351-high-end-servo-suggestions.html)

Tz82 01-01-2020 09:15 AM

High End Servo Suggestions

I am looking for a new servo for an Enduro build that I am currently working on and although I have found many discussions on the topic of budget friendly servos, I haven’t found much in regards to comparisons of higher end servos in the $100-$150 range. When wanting a servo in that price point I typically turn to Holmes Hobbies and have nothing but great things to say. I will most likely get a V3 once available but with no release date being known and with wanting to take part in my first local comp in Mid February I think I should try something new out for now. I’m the most curious about about the Hitec, Tekin and Protek line of servos. The Reefs servos seem interesting but I’ve read a lot of mixed reviews about the quality of their products. One of my pet peeves with servos are noise production so that pretty much rules out all Savox servos even though I’ve found them to generally have good quality and performance. Any knowledge that could be provided about any of these servos or any that are comparable would be greatly appreciated. I apologize for this being a bit wordy. This is my first post and wanted to get my question across the best I could. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topher Builds 01-01-2020 09:45 AM

Re: High End Servo Suggestions

I’ve been meaning to give this a try...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mks-ser...hbl550/p885130

I’m in the same boat. I like Holmes servos and am waiting on a v3 as well.

Techno Duck 01-01-2020 10:04 AM

Perhaps consider the Savox SB-2290SG. I run the 1230 and the 1270 in other rigs so i know what your talking about with the noise, but the 2290 is much quieter than all the others. Its very fast and strong.

Smokin' Joe 01-01-2020 11:06 AM

I have the savox 2290sg. It is very strong and adequately fast, but it is also on the noisy side and very power hungry (need a strong power source to reach it's potential). It has a good reputation for durability. Another one to consider would be the Promodeler DS630BLHV. It isn't quite as strong by specs as the savox, but it is faster, quieter, and less power hungry. It is also backed by excellent customer service.

meatmonkey 01-01-2020 11:26 AM

I can't say enough good things about my Promodeler 630's. Hulk strength and lasting durability makes the 630 a buy once and cry once type of investment in your toy truck.

Tz82 01-01-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 5987110)
I’ve been meaning to give this a try...

https://www.amainhobbies.com/mks-ser...hbl550/p885130

I’m in the same boat. I like Holmes servos and am waiting on a v3 as well.

The specs on this servo look awesome. I wonder if the reliability and noise production is on par with HH servos?

Tz82 01-01-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe (Post 5987141)
I have the savox 2290sg. It is very strong and adequately fast, but it is also on the noisy side and very power hungry (need a strong power source to reach it's potential). It has a good reputation for durability. Another one to consider would be the Promodeler DS630BLHV. It isn't quite as strong by specs as the savox, but it is faster, quieter, and less power hungry. It is also backed by excellent customer service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatmonkey (Post 5987148)
I can't say enough good things about my Promodeler 630's. Hulk strength and lasting durability makes the 630 a buy once and cry once type of investment in your toy truck.

The Promodeler looks interesting and I’ve good things about them in this forum.

Jim85IROC 01-02-2020 06:42 AM

On a 1.9 rig, I can't imagine the Pro Modeler 470 not being more than enough. The 630 looks great, and I may try one on my Bomber, and move the 470 in my Bomber to my Enduro.

Poconoscale 01-02-2020 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meatmonkey (Post 5987148)

Love my 420's and 470's, the wraith desires a 630 but is chugging along with the 470. As a whole promodeler hasn't let me down.

Topher Builds 01-04-2020 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tz82 (Post 5987170)
The specs on this servo look awesome. I wonder if the reliability and noise production is on par with HH servos?

After much ado, I just ordered one. Will update this thread in a few weeks after I get it in a rig and out for a run.

JacktheRipper 01-05-2020 05:57 AM

Speaking of servos and not to hijack the thread. Quick question, are there servos out here that have different swing ratios off center.

If not clear do some servos allow for tighter turns ?

pep

AK KRAWLER 01-05-2020 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacktheRipper (Post 5988108)
Speaking of servos and not to hijack the thread. Quick question, are there servos out here that have different swing ratios off center.

If not clear do some servos allow for tighter turns ?

pep

As in they spin more degrees?

JacktheRipper 01-05-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AK KRAWLER (Post 5988200)
As in they spin more degrees?

yes, travel lock too lock

AK KRAWLER 01-05-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JacktheRipper (Post 5988206)
yes, travel lock too lock

I have seen some rated for different degrees of range, but nothing I really paid attention too.

durok 01-05-2020 04:55 PM

Some servos are sold in 180deg and 270deg versions (for example, the budget DS3218 models) - but it makes no difference in actual crawler usage, they only steer as far as they are commanded to by the transmitter/receiver. You won't get more steering angle by swapping servos, but the angle be somewhat improved by your axle hardware. I have a 270deg in my Ascender and a 180deg in my Enduro - there's no performance difference when used as a steering servo on an axle.

Topher Builds 01-11-2020 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topher Builds (Post 5988024)
After much ado, I just ordered one. Will update this thread in a few weeks after I get it in a rig and out for a run.

Got the mks 550 in my vs4-10 running at 8.4v from a heyok bec. It’s a good looking servo, very fast and strong, but it’s got that savox noise. I wasn’t expecting that, doesn’t seem quite as bad as savox but I’m used to quiet servos. Might have to throw it in something with an outrunner to drown out the buzz.

Seems like it won’t have any problems on the rocks though.

coffeeaddict17 01-12-2020 05:23 AM

This would be my recommendation- Been running them for years. Great service, great longevity.
ProModeler - 470oz-in, Std, BLS #DS470BLHV

nzrc 01-14-2020 05:11 PM

JRH himself would have to confirm but I believe the V3 is not far off.....

mewalsh100 01-14-2020 05:23 PM

I’m now running the 3BrosRC direct power units on 2 rigs. Gobs and Gobs of torque on 3S. Pretty fast too. Safe to say it will be my go-to servo moving forward.

JatoTheRipper 01-14-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tz82 (Post 5987173)
The Promodeler looks interesting and I’ve good things about them in this forum.

You should read this post in regards to ProModeler's atrocious customer service before biting.

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/elect...ml#post5987648

I'd recommend the Savox 2290 for a great, high end servo.