Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle Mamba X AUX Wire Glitch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2020, 11:45 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Castle Mamba X AUX Wire Glitch

Was crawling with my Capra and developed an issue with the AUX wire on the Mamba X. I keep getting the 'AUX WIRE GLITCH' audible alert. Everything was working normally when the audible alert started. I've tried a number of things, but cant get the AUX wire working again.

I have the AUX wire tied to a 3 position switch on channel 3 of a Futaba 4PLS. This allowed me to switch between 0%/50%/100% drag brake.

I have checked that all settings on the ESC and transmitter are correct. I tried a different receiver. I also moved the AUX wire to channel 4 with no luck. I also tested the wire harness by swapping it from another Mamba X. The audible alert starts as soon as i start the ESC, both with the AUX wire plugged in and not. The only time the audible alert stops is if i disable the AUX wire function with the Castle Link. I data logged just the AUX wire channel and it does not show any movement at all.

Any ideas? I am puzzled.
Techno Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2020, 05:59 AM   #2

Default Re: Castle Mamba X AUX Wire Glitch

How do you know it's the Auxiliary Wire audible alert?

I would reach out to Castle Creations. They have great customer service and they are usually fast. Or you can PM Robert@Castle on here. He is an employee of the company and he has helped me diagnose an issue that nobody else could.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:17 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
Was crawling with my Capra and developed an issue with the AUX wire on the Mamba X. I keep getting the 'AUX WIRE GLITCH' audible alert. Everything was working normally when the audible alert started. I've tried a number of things, but cant get the AUX wire working again.

I have the AUX wire tied to a 3 position switch on channel 3 of a Futaba 4PLS. This allowed me to switch between 0%/50%/100% drag brake.

I have checked that all settings on the ESC and transmitter are correct. I tried a different receiver. I also moved the AUX wire to channel 4 with no luck. I also tested the wire harness by swapping it from another Mamba X. The audible alert starts as soon as i start the ESC, both with the AUX wire plugged in and not. The only time the audible alert stops is if i disable the AUX wire function with the Castle Link. I data logged just the AUX wire channel and it does not show any movement at all.

Any ideas? I am puzzled.

Really !?!

This is crazy. I just came here to post and search for this. I'm just now experiencing the same issue. I have tried everything I can think of short of taking the thing apart to see what is wrong. I tried different receivers, radio, channels, switches, new harness, tried powering the other stuff with a BEC.. Nothing is working. The only thing I can do is shut off the AUX wire functionality. In the first few moments of the issue it seemed like if I tugged on the base of the harness where it goes into the esc, functionality would resume temporarily. Pretty bummed as it is an awesome esc and it is great otherwise. I've been spoiled by what the aux wire can do and I use it multiple times every drive as it toggles the drag brake on an off for my trail machine. I was literally preparing to call Castle this morning to discuss my options.
Lavaheadache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:19 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
How do you know it's the Auxiliary Wire audible alert?

I would reach out to Castle Creations. They have great customer service and they are usually fast. Or you can PM Robert@Castle on here. He is an employee of the company and he has helped me diagnose an issue that nobody else could.
Long beep followed by 2 quick ones.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:09 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
Really !?!

This is crazy. I just came here to post and search for this. I'm just now experiencing the same issue. I have tried everything I can think of short of taking the thing apart to see what is wrong. I tried different receivers, radio, channels, switches, new harness, tried powering the other stuff with a BEC.. Nothing is working. The only thing I can do is shut off the AUX wire functionality. In the first few moments of the issue it seemed like if I tugged on the base of the harness where it goes into the esc, functionality would resume temporarily. Pretty bummed as it is an awesome esc and it is great otherwise. I've been spoiled by what the aux wire can do and I use it multiple times every drive as it toggles the drag brake on an off for my trail machine. I was literally preparing to call Castle this morning to discuss my options.

I drove myself crazy last night trying to figure this out, spent about 2.5 hours messing around with it. I did email Castle shortly after posting, hopefully this is something simple. There is very limited info available about the AUX WIRE GLITCH other than whats in the manual.

At this point though, i have a feeling its something internal to the ESC or maybe the way i have the radio configured. One thing of note, this has happened before on another Mamba X installed on my 10.2, but it went away. Never figured out what caused it... this is what leads me to think maybe my radio / receiver and the AUX wire function of the esc have somehow fallen out of 'sync'. When this started yesterday, i was moving up a medium grade rock face, was not changing any settings..etc.

Here is a better run down of what i did last night.

-Checked all settings in Castle Link. I even reloaded the firmware and went back to default to start over again.
-Checked all settings on the Futaba radio.
-Re calibrated ESC with radio
-Tried swapping the AUX wire to another channel.
-Tried swapping the wire harness from another Mamba X
-Tried a different receiver
-Audible alert still sounds whether i start the ESC with the AUX wire plugged into the receiver or not
-Data logged the AUX wire; the log shows no function of the AUX wire

Last edited by Techno Duck; 01-03-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I was able to get the AUX glitch to go away by pressing the connector on the ESC side down with a bit more than average force. Everything worked fine after reconnecting a few times and manipulating the wires trying to recreate the glitch. I let it sit on the bench for about an hour or so then retested before i started putting everything back together. The AUX glitch has returned. Castle did get back to me this morning, ill be sending it back to them for service. A minor inconvenience having to unsolder the BEC...
Old 01-03-2020, 05:19 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
I was able to get the AUX glitch to go away by pressing the connector on the ESC side down with a bit more than average force. Everything worked fine after reconnecting a few times and manipulating the wires trying to recreate the glitch. I let it sit on the bench for about an hour or so then retested before i started putting everything back together. The AUX glitch has returned. Castle did get back to me this morning, ill be sending it back to them for service. A minor inconvenience having to unsolder the BEC...
You and I have had the same exact problem at the same time. It seems to be very uncommon. Strange... I do live on the exact opposite side of the county as you so it isn't that, lol.

I called them this morning to talk about my options. I'm not sure I want to waste time and money being told that it isn't fixable and that I need to either deal with it or pay for a replacement, If they even have stock. Mine is well out of warranty so that isn't an option for me.

I'm blown away that this just happened to you too. It'd be funny if both of our esc's landed in their service department from opposite sides of the country with the same one off type internal error.

I'm also using a Futaba radio system. Admittedly I do have the receiver full of power drawers but even with nothing else plugged in it doesn't work.

I could just buy a Mamba micro X and pair it with an external BEC since this one is rather over kill in a 10.2. I could then use this "defective" one in a basher and be just fine.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:31 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavaheadache View Post
You and I have had the same exact problem at the same time. It seems to be very uncommon. Strange... I do live on the exact opposite side of the county as you so it isn't that, lol.

I called them this morning to talk about my options. I'm not sure I want to waste time and money being told that it isn't fixable and that I need to either deal with it or pay for a replacement, If they even have stock. Mine is well out of warranty so that isn't an option for me.

I'm blown away that this just happened to you too. It'd be funny if both of our esc's landed in their service department from opposite sides of the country with the same one off type internal error.

I'm also using a Futaba radio system. Admittedly I do have the receiver full of power drawers but even with nothing else plugged in it doesn't work.

I could just buy a Mamba micro X and pair it with an external BEC since this one is rather over kill in a 10.2. I could then use this "defective" one in a basher and be just fine.

A funny coincidence for sure. This ESC is fairly new with a build date of OCT 2019. Only used in my Capra, so it had a pretty easy life. I thought about swapping it for the one i use in my SMT-10 (i dont use the AUX feature at all on that). But i don't want to be bothered taking that rig apart also and swapping plugs. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get this sorted out.
Old 02-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

An update to this;

Sent the Mamba X in about 5 weeks ago and have not heard anything from Castle. Sent an email asking for an update and received a pretty generic email saying they will replace it, but its going to be another 3-6 weeks.

The response is pretty frustrating because it gives the impression i had to prompt them to start this 3-6 week count down. I know this can be expected when the product availability fluctuates.. but still a bit annoyed to be without a $150 ESC for a total of 8-12 weeks based on their estimate.

Last edited by Techno Duck; 02-11-2020 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2020, 11:43 PM   #10

Interesting...I’m having the same exact issue with my Mamba X! Please keep us posted
rcracer78@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:36 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

rcracer,

Replacement Mamba X was shipped to me on 4 MAR. In total, it took about 9 weeks. Your experience may vary but its basically up to what amount of stock they have available.
Old 07-06-2020, 03:11 PM   #12

I am also fighting this issue...
GiXXerFiXXeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:38 PM   #13
RCO
Pebble Pounder

Since yesterday i am a „aux wire glitch“ member... the ESC runs about 6 packs and the glitch starts in the middle of run. Out from nowhere...

The only thing i can do is send the ESC to castle/get a replacement?!?

Sucks! If they where available i would pick up a backup X and waiting for the replacement.
In this case, i can not run my VS4-10...
RCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Castle Mamba X AUX Wire Glitch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mamba X Aux adj. isn't adjusting. SlidePanda Electronics 7 11-11-2019 10:39 AM
CC Mamba X (white) aux wire Fishcharger Electronics 25 03-24-2019 07:35 PM
Setting up GT3C channel 3 for Monster X aux wire? mass-hole Electronics 6 03-19-2019 08:31 AM
Mamba X aux wire glitch, can't get it to work properly Antsiranean Electronics 6 02-17-2019 03:50 AM
Mamba x aux mode How does it work Johan_Eriksson Electronics 2 02-11-2018 12:32 AM