Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Battery for Warn Winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #1

Default Battery for Warn Winch

Hello! I'm looking for a compatible battery for my Warn winch setup. A battery with Tamiya (standard) connector preferred. Also something small. Thank you

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
RCTechGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Battery for Warn Winch

run it off your regular battery

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
midwest_rippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_rippa View Post
run it off your regular battery

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I would like to run it off a separate battery.

Old 01-04-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Might be hard pressed to get advice on that, literally no point in doing so, you might be the first person to.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
Might be hard pressed to get advice on that, literally no point in doing so, you might be the first person to.
Have you been elected King Asshole of these boards? Seriously, why so angry? You are very condescending.

Last edited by RCTechGuy; 01-04-2020 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I run a small 1100 mah 2s or a small 2200mah 2s in the front of my trx4.... i run the truck on 3s.
I use it for my led and winch power, so luckily for you... you would be the second dummy to try it.
crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
I run a small 1100 mah 2s or a small 2200mah 2s in the front of my trx4.... i run the truck on 3s.
I use it for my led and winch power, so luckily for you... you would be the second dummy to try it.
Thank you!!!! I appreciate your help.

Old 01-04-2020, 04:18 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCTechGuy View Post
Thank you!!!! I appreciate your help.

No worries, my initial setup was a plug inline with the 2S 5000mah i used to run the truck on. Then when i switched to 3S my home brew LED setup couldn't handle the voltage of 3s. I know there's ways around having to go with 2 separate batteries, like installing a BEC but it's not conducive to making due with parts on hand. Plus some added sprung weight really pisses off the purists
Old 01-04-2020, 05:47 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Nobody said dummy you boys need to change your tampons and stop reflecting your insecurities in words on a screen, butthurt feelings are your own voice reading words, can't hear mine.
Old 01-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Nobody said dummy you boys need to change your tampons and stop reflecting your insecurities in words on a screen, butthurt feelings are your own voice reading words, can't hear mine.
Thank you.

Old 01-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Let me clarify straight away, not being an a-hole, but I would also ask, why don’t you want to run the winch off your “primary” pack? Same reason as crunky? If so, you could do it more cost effectively and save weight and complexity just by running a “step-down” for the lights versus a separate pack for the winch. Just curious.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 05:57 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
No worries, my initial setup was a plug inline with the 2S 5000mah i used to run the truck on. Then when i switched to 3S my home brew LED setup couldn't handle the voltage of 3s. I know there's ways around having to go with 2 separate batteries, like installing a BEC but it's not conducive to making due with parts on hand. Plus some added sprung weight really pisses off the purists
What esc are you running? It must have a bec of some sort, can you run your lights off the receiver?
Old 01-04-2020, 06:08 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thank you.

You aren't welcome, come on here asking for help, don't like the replies and call those who take the time to answer you assholes. These are toy trucks man, we are all here to have fun and share knowledge.

Maybe if you provide details as to why you want to do this, especially after being told it's an oddity, perhaps myself or someone else could come up with a solution for ya that doesn't more money and time then required to achieve what you want. I guarantee that'll get you farther then calling people assholes

So, let's try this again, I'll ask for the information you don't want to provide to solve the problem and find a solution.

Why do you want to run a seperate battery for the winch?

And for the record, if you didn't my reply to your last post asking about batteries where I said you already got the best answer. It's because you did, and clearly didn't understand what it was, I was simply pointing out that you did, in fact, get the best possible answer already to your post, in what world does someone taking their time to help you solve your problems equate to them being an asshole?

Last edited by Xx Losungen xX; 01-04-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
What esc are you running? It must have a bec of some sort, can you run your lights off the receiver?
Did you get yourself all justified yet bubs ? I wasn't upset, offended, insecure or anyhow near tamponage.... there again my mistake because after reading it again i see you excluded me with your narrative description of " you boys ".

Anywho, i run the hobby wing 1080 in the TRX4. I could bump up the BEC voltage of the esc but wouldn't that effect all the shifting and locking servos ?

My led array is a hodge podge with some COB headlights that work good with 5 to 8 volts so my guess is they are supposed to be 6 volt circuits. My winch really spools nicely at 7 volts but clearly would smoke at 9. I needed a solution that allowed me to run it at the max power i could without letting the smoke out.

Admittedly I'm lazy and didn't want to open my waterproof receiver box and deal with that silly grease i packed in there when swapping the esc... I bought these little 2s batteries back in 2008 for a yota project but never used them so i figured on giving them a try. Took a few charges to get them balanced, I'm actually running a test on them and can't believe the longevity of lipo.

So there ya have it, the reason for my unreasonable shit.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:24 PM   #15

Quote:
You aren't welcome, come on here asking for help, don't like the replies and call those who take the time to answer you assholes. These are toy trucks man, we are all here to have fun and share knowledge.

Maybe if you provide details as to why you want to do this, especially after being told it's an oddity, perhaps myself or someone else could come up with a solution for ya that doesn't more money and time then required to achieve what you want. I guarantee that'll get you farther then calling people assholes

So, let's try this again, I'll ask for the information you don't want to provide to solve the problem and find a solution.

Why do you want to run a seperate battery for the winch?

And for the record, if you didn't my reply to your last post asking about batteries where I said you already got the best answer. It's because you did, and clearly didn't understand what it was, I was simply pointing out that you did, in fact, get the best possible answer already to your post, in what world does someone taking their time to help you solve your problems equate to them being an asshole?
I'm gone. Thanks for making someone feel dumb for asking a question. These forums suck.

Old 01-04-2020, 06:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Lmao, you both crack me up.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:16 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Hi,

I run my winch on a second battery, as I run 3s for my truck but my winch isn't rated for 3s, just 2s. Currently, I use a 3600 mah 3s shorty (Gens Ace) up front for the main power and a 2s 1000 mah in the main tray for the winch. As its a cheap winch it uses a key fob remote, so is totally isolated from my 3s power curcuit.
CarlC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:38 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Have you been elected King Asshole of these boards? Seriously, why so angry? You are very condescending.

Yeah look who's talking Mr 14 post, the RCTechGuy, without a clue.

take a pill
pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:32 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
Hi,

I run my winch on a second battery, as I run 3s for my truck but my winch isn't rated for 3s, just 2s. Currently, I use a 3600 mah 3s shorty (Gens Ace) up front for the main power and a 2s 1000 mah in the main tray for the winch. As its a cheap winch it uses a key fob remote, so is totally isolated from my 3s power curcuit.
Thank you

Old 01-05-2020, 06:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
Yeah look who's talking Mr 14 post, the RCTechGuy, without a clue.

take a pill
pep
Haha will do.

Battery for Warn Winch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo winch or that super strong warn winch? CoolRunning Electronics 16 05-31-2019 08:44 PM
Battery to power my rc4wd warn winch trxrincon Electronics 1 07-04-2017 08:59 AM