Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Air Transmitter Recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2020, 12:28 PM   #1

Default Air Transmitter Recommendation

Hi All, I use an air transmitter for all of my RC vehicles. Have for many years. I'm looking to replace mine as I took a break from the hobby and got rid of most of my stuff. I'm looking for one transmitter for all my needs.

The transmitter will be for cars/trucks, drones and fairly simple planes. I know the hobby has changed a lot to where electronics have taken care of a lot of the mixing/control issues. I'm not sure how many channels I actually need these days. Maybe 8?

I'd like to get into adding more lights and winches to my trucks. I'd also like to build a large salvage boat with a crane. Lastly, I'd also like to get into FPV both with drones and cars.

Given my interests, any recommendations? Is there really anything that an air transmitter can't do that a surface can do?

Anyone else use an air transmitter for crawling?

Thanks
JimmyPickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2020, 12:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Air Transmitter Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyPickles View Post
Is there really anything that an air transmitter can't do that a surface can do?
I'll give it a shot. How about ESC mixing, dual motor mixing, tank mixing, multi-mode 4WS, programmable steering and/or throttle curves. I left air (other than my drone) approx 10yrs ago, so not sure what the latest air transmitters can do.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:56 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

DX6 or DX6e, or more channels:
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Air/Radios.aspx

Here you go, iX20!!!
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...odId=SPMR20100
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:00 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I have a Taranis X9D Plus for my drones that has all the bells and whistles for a lot less than the major manufacturers. It has a bit of a learning curve as everything is programmable. 16 channel radio for under $200. You could probably set it up to run 5 trucks at the same time if you wanted to...
clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Anything more than controlling one vehicle, and myself, and I'd be done for.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 01-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

It all depends on what you want. I have owned a Tactic 650, and currently use a Spectrum dx8G2, and dxe. I find the Spectrum radio much easier to program and setup. I also found that you loose 2 channels when "crawling due to the sticks being incredibly difficult to keep centered when using the throttle or steering.

Currently I use a dx5Rugged for surface, and my dx8g2 for aircraft and dxe as a buddy box
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:35 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I think you can do what you are after. The radios themselves all do the same thing.

Now the set up programs look & layout are specific as in language

Function same ...Example: rudder / steering, both have trim and end points. Actually found a Futaba air that had an end point feature for a servor.

ESC mixing, dual motor mixing was mentioned, I believe Futaba with the SBUS receiver could handle that.

The SBUS allows the user to program multi servos, daisy chained to operate off 1 CH, .

Throttle curves, do not know just starting to lean how to cross over the surface and air radio great divide.

I wish the Radio folks would bring out a 10 / 12 CH stick transmitter.

As I hate that silly little frigging wheel deal, with pistole grip and throttle control

pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:31 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
I believe Futaba with the SBUS receiver could handle that. The SBUS allows the user to program multi servos, daisy chained to operate off 1 CH.
Yes...and no. First, in order to use the SBUS (or SBUS.2), you have to use SBUS servos. On an SBUS.2 Rx, you can user SBUS or SBUS.2 servos...but, on an (older) SBUS Rx, you can only use SBUS servos. You can run more than one SBUS/SBUS.2 servo on a single receiver...in order to do so, you must use an SBUS "hub" (the hubs have between 3 & 6 ports, and certain hubs can be daisychained)...but, all SBUS/SBUS.2 servos must, ultimately, be plugged into the SBUS/SBUS.2 port.

Technically, the SBUS/SBUS.2 servos do not operate on a single channel...they operate on whatever channel you program them to be, which means you also need a way of programming them. If you have a 4PM, or 7PX, you can plug them into the programming port on the Tx, and program each servo as to what channel it will operate on...but, if you don't have either of these transmitters, you need an SBUS programming card.

Which brings me to my final point. As far as I'm aware...and, yes, I could be wrong in this (I was already planning on calling Futaba USA for clarification, as I also need to know)...whether you're using a single SBUS/SBUS.2 servo, or multiples, you're still limited to the number of channels that that model Rx supports. If you're using a 4-channel Rx, and the ESC is plugged into Ch 2, you can only use up to 3 SBUS/SBUS.2 servos, plugged into the SBUS port, with other channel's ports being unusable (if using 3 SBUS/SBUS.2 servos). The same applies to higher-channel receivers.

For example, if you have a 6-channel Rx (such as the R2006GS), have the ESC in Ch 2, and 3 SBUS/SBUS.2 servos plugged into the SBUS port, between the Ch 1 port & Ch 3-6 ports, you'd only have 2 available channels for other things, such as lighting. As I said, I might be misunderstanding what the 7PX manual explains about that, which is why I was already planning on calling them (the 2nd Capra I'm planning will have 4WS, and I've already purchasing the two Futaba SBUS.2 servos).

Old 01-15-2020, 12:01 AM   #9

The big thing with air transmitters is they do proper dual rates, some even triple rates. Dual rates are supposed to be as they say with a switch that can change the rate of travel of an item. For example high rates when you want to do aerobatics and low rates when you want to calm the beast. Surface radios don't seem to work this way all but still they call the function dual rates. Go figure. lots of options for controlling your crawler.
Sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:17 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

@ Panther6834

That is a question, I'm trying to figure out, and think it is no then, reread the hype I think may be.

SBUS generally speaking, the reason for a need to buy SBUS servos. The SBUS port talks to different IPs (servo) . That increases the servo price, smarter servo..

Caution most likely SBUS & SBIS2 servos may not be interchangeable. Maybe backward compatible. SBUS2 might work with SBUS receiver,.

However SBUS2 servo most likely will not work with SBUS receiver.

I’d like to find out what answers you learn about extending CHs and SBUS from Futaba. Please post or feel free to PM me. Personally thinking that is not going to be something that it is an option.

Never know software can be written many ways, SBUS in more about the firmware, and that is hard coded

pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:16 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

EI have a Graupner Mz-24 and it's an amazing radio. Pricey though...

Before the Graupner I was using a FRSky X9E. Once you learn the programming of an Open Source radio, you can basically make it do anything you want.

I think FRSky is the way to go if you want a good budget radio.
charlesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #12

Thanks everyone. I ended up with a Spektrum 8ch. I almost went the Graupner route but very costly. I know see they might be out of bidness! I am really intrigued by the Flysky but didn't want to deal with the setup.
JimmyPickles is offline   Reply With Quote

Air Transmitter Recommendation - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need recommendation for controller/transmitter. sflisher General Crawlers 0 12-07-2017 01:19 AM
covert this transmitter from air to surface? codycr6 Newbie General 1 07-28-2006 04:47 PM