Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Alternative to HH's 540 1800kv Out Runner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2020, 06:46 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Alternative to HH's 540 1800kv Out Runner?

HH has disappointed me, just this evening I have had to drink three beers to drown my sorrows... or was it four...?

Anyhoo...

I am wanting his 540 1800kv outrunning for my Element build, but the rumor has it (and what he as said), they will not be back in stock for a couple of months. My element is a slow motion build, but it isn't THAT slow...

So, what are some good alternatives to this motor?

No, the stubby is not a good choice, my Element is going to have a hard body, and some weight added to it, in other words, she will be big-boned. It will be a little (or a lot) much for the stubby to push... Sorry stubby...

What'ya got?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2020, 06:59 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Alternative to HH's 540 1800kv Out Runner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
HH has disappointed me, just this evening I have had to drink three beers to drown my sorrows... or was it four...?

Anyhoo...

I am wanting his 540 1800kv outrunning for my Element build, but the rumor has it (and what he as said), they will not be back in stock for a couple of months. My element is a slow motion build, but it isn't THAT slow...

So, what are some good alternatives to this motor?

No, the stubby is not a good choice, my Element is going to have a hard body, and some weight added to it, in other words, she will be big-boned. It will be a little (or a lot) much for the stubby to push... Sorry stubby...

What'ya got?
Puller pro ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:16 PM   #3

I'm a big fan of Holmes motors except for the Revolver. I absolutely hated my Revolver. It was obnoxiously loud and it cogged even after they sent me a replacement motor. I'm pretty sure it's the only motor that I've ever sold. There's no reason a Puller Pro or Tekin ROC412 or even one of Team Brood's motors won't do everything you need in a truck like an Element.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If it were me, I'd just pick up the standard HW1080ESC/HH Trailmaster 550 21t (1800kv equivalent) or Crawlmaster 550 12t (1700kv equivalent) at a total cost of about $62 for now, run it until the Revolver is back in stock.

You'll always have a great spare ESC/motor combo as a spare after the swap!

I love my Revolver, still kickin' it in my lard-ass Bomber - it always amazes me how strong the drag brake is and how slow I can creep with such a small-sized motor in such a big rig.

But I gotta say my 1080/Trailmaster 550 combo does a fantastic job in my brassed-out Ascender as well...
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Why do you want brushless? The Element is pretty light, a Hobbywing 1080 / Holmes 550 21T should be perfect in it and dirt cheap. Worth a try at least, but I don’t know your truck goals either.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Why do you want brushless? The Element is pretty light, a Hobbywing 1080 / Holmes 550 21T should be perfect in it and dirt cheap. Worth a try at least, but I don’t know your truck goals either.
My weapon of choice here is the Mamba-X with a 1900kv motor, but I am wanting to try new things with this rig. I have never done a revolver style motor and would like to do something new to me (electronics-wise), this would be an excellent kit to run it in.

This rig will be a lot of things, light it will not. My guess is that she'll be right around 7 - 8 lbs with the ABS body. So I need something that will be good at dissipating the heat, which is why the snubby revolver is not a good option, nor is lower end motors.

I have already purchased the SW4, designed and printed the mount for it, so it is more or less a done deal. But, after throwing in an external BEC, I can pretty much run any brushed motor with it, the sky is the limit.

As much as I want to go with HH for this build, are there any other out runners that would do the job?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:10 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
As much as I want to go with HH for this build, are there any other out runners that would do the job?
I'm not an outrunner guy, but I have read of others using Yellowjacket motors.
GA Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:14 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I think I bought the last 1800kv Revolver V2 out there a couple weeks ago (sorry)...currently loving how it performs in a TRX-4 Sport kit mated with a Hobbywing WP-8BL150, so I would personally suggest a temporary solution until they're available again.

Otherwise I would've gone Puller Pro.
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I’ve been eyeballing this motor for a while now. I’m on the fence about whether I do or don’t like the sound, until I imagined it in my Axial UMG10. I painted it one of my favorite rc paint colors, metallic key lime green. I would definitely put some kind of alien driver figure driving it and the motor noise would be funny as hell.
King Dork is offline   Reply With Quote

Alternative to HH's 540 1800kv Out Runner? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
holmes hobbies REVOLVER 540 SENSORLESS 1800kv Useless Electronics 5 04-04-2018 12:40 PM
HH's BR/XL operating on 6s LiPo TacoCrawler Electronics 29 03-22-2017 06:15 PM
Alternative to 540 can 47willysbuggy Electronics 8 05-10-2009 01:42 PM