Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Which led controller will be best for my new led sytem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #1

Default Which led controller will be best for my new led sytem?

Hello guys,

I’m new at this forum, my friends recommended this forum for me to find electrical help about RCs. I’m not new in the RC world, I own my first car 6-7 years ago.

I want to make a good and powerfull led system for my Traxxas Rally. I’m planning to use 8x 3mm white LEDs to front headlights, 4x orange LEDs to front headlight corners, 6x red LEDs to the rear and few centimetres of 12V 5054 led.

I’ve chosen 5054 for high intensity and reliability, will make a small stand to set the front grille angle to 90* to ground (because as you can see at the photo, front grill is looking upwards). And I’ve chosen 28 AWG wire.

I have four questions, the first one is, which resistor should I use for each led? All LEDs will take energy from the receiver and as far as I know receiver port gives ~4.5-6.3 volts.

Secondly, which remote should I use for this project? I will be so glad if anyone recommends me a remote that can turn on and off the specific lights, as I want/need. E.g. button 1-headlights and taillights, button 2-Light bar at the front grille.

Thirdly, what type of wire do I need to use for 12v led? Last question, how can I get 12v from 4.5v-6v receiver port?

Led strip 5054; https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F323894936699

Have a nice day!
Berke

BerkeBulur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Which led controller will be best for my new led sytem?

I know you don't want to hear this, but I wouldn't do it the way you are. That LED tape will not give you the flexibility you want.

I would run with Common Sense LEDs, they are good up to 12 VDC and they come pre-wired with the resistor. (the link at white 5mm, but you can get them in 3mm and just about any color you wish).

Second, to get the voltage up, recommend running an external BEC, set it to 8VDC and 3S packs. This will be plenty bright.

Third, the are a number of remote on/off switches to choose from. I like Pico Switches, they are compact and easy to set up.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I know you don't want to hear this, but I wouldn't do it the way you are. That LED tape will not give you the flexibility you want.

I would run with Common Sense LEDs, they are good up to 12 VDC and they come pre-wired with the resistor. (the link at white 5mm, but you can get them in 3mm and just about any color you wish).

Second, to get the voltage up, recommend running an external BEC, set it to 8VDC and 3S packs. This will be plenty bright.

Third, the are a number of remote on/off switches to choose from. I like Pico Switches, they are compact and easy to set up.

https://www.amazon.com/20-Pack-Pre-W...d-games&sr=1-2
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post

https://www.amazon.com/20-Pack-Pre-W...d-games&sr=1-2

Thank you so much for your reply, I’m planning to use 3mm or 5mm LEDs for headlights and taillights but probably do the grille lights also with them. Thank you for giving a link for LEDs but I would probably go with eBay because there are cheaper (without wiring). Which one would you prefer, cheaper eBay or bit higher Amazon?

If you go with eBay, which resistor would you use?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F221391912322

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

The resistor is what makes the 12 volt LED light up off of only ~5 volts. So if you use 12volt LEDs, then you need the appropriate resistors (for each LED) so that it will light up with only ~5 volts.

Soooo ... easiest to start off with 3-6 volt LEDs - then you don't have to add all those resistors and do all that soldering - either someone did it for you, or the LED was created for that voltage. And ... prewired is even better yet!
vf750rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:43 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I have ordered the ones below, and they work great at receiver (~5v). BUT - see just under the clear part of LED the 1/2-3/4 inch black section? That is shrink tubing, and the appropriate resistor is in there. So - makes them kind of not very flexible in that 1st 1 inch of wiring - if you try to bend that 1st inch of wiring too much the soldered joint on resistor can break.

But if you don't need much flex in that 1st inch, this place works well with customers to get the voltage, colors, and sizes needed. I use them wiring my trailers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you ever need teeny tiny LED's - like too tiny to even figure out how to use - these are just the most awesome thing:

I ordered the 125 piece multi-colored pack just to have - maybe use as clearance lights or something - they are stunningly bright and colorful for as tiny as they are.

Last edited by vf750rider; 01-22-2020 at 06:45 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 01-22-2020, 10:51 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

i fixed it for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by vf750rider View Post
The resistor is what makes the 5 volt LED light work off 12 volts. So if you use 12volt LEDs, then you need the appropriate resistors (for each LED) so that it will light up 5 volts leds

Soooo ... easiest to start off with 12 volt LEDs - then you don't have to add all those resistors and do all that soldering... prewired is even better yet!

you have it backwords the resister steps down voltage they dont ramp up the voltage

you can also wire the leds in series and wont need resistors as the led itself is a resistor

white lights run off of diferent voltages than red or orange leds and would need a different resistor or more leds in series

other colores have different voltages too
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 01:44 AM   #8

Quote:
I have ordered the ones below, and they work great at receiver (~5v). BUT - see just under the clear part of LED the 1/2-3/4 inch black section? That is shrink tubing, and the appropriate resistor is in there. So - makes them kind of not very flexible in that 1st 1 inch of wiring - if you try to bend that 1st inch of wiring too much the soldered joint on resistor can break.

But if you don't need much flex in that 1st inch, this place works well with customers to get the voltage, colors, and sizes needed. I use them wiring my trailers.

If you ever need teeny tiny LED's - like too tiny to even figure out how to use - these are just the most awesome thing:

I ordered the 125 piece multi-colored pack just to have - maybe use as clearance lights or something - they are stunningly bright and colorful for as tiny as they are.

Thank you so much for your couple reply! Yes, I know shrink tubing and I was planning to use them for the same thing as they did in prewired ones. First few bit isn’t imprortant because my body is big enough to prevent mess and I will be careful not to break them.

Thank you for a very tiny led link from amazon, they look great and I may use them as trim lightning. It seems if I prefer eBay LEDs (prewired) they will be cheaper. I want reliable LEDs on my truck. What is your opinion, should I buy from eBay or Amazon?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202609529472

Thanks!

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone araclyla gönderildi
Old 01-23-2020, 02:50 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Personally I use what I can find that does the job for the least expense. So me ... I'd use Ebay if you found less expensive ones.

Couple weeks ago I snagged LED Christmas lights at Dollar Tree - 10 LED strings that run off 3v (2xAA batteries) for US$1 is a good deal! Sometimes they have those silly LED lighted necklaces that are low voltage (use watch batteries) for smaller LEDs. Just have to figure out if they wired in series or parallel and total voltage of batteries used so you know what voltage a single LED needs. Dollar stores and party favor stores can be a good source!
Old 01-23-2020, 02:55 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
i fixed it for ya
Thanks ferp420! I knew I didn't have it quite right on the screen, but I couldn't get the right idea out of my jumbled brains!
Old 01-23-2020, 03:58 AM   #11

Quote:
i fixed it for ya

you have it backwords the resister steps down voltage they dont ramp up the voltage

you can also wire the leds in series and wont need resistors as the led itself is a resistor

white lights run off of diferent voltages than red or orange leds and would need a different resistor or more leds in series

other colores have different voltages too

Thank you so much for your reply, I will note these down. Probably I will buy wired LEDs with already soldered to its a resistor, should I ask the seller which resistor does he used of nope? Because receiver port gives 4.5v-6v I think any simple resistor could handle it, what's your opinion?

Have a nice day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-23-2020, 04:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Personally I use what I can find that does the job for the least expense. So me ... I'd use Ebay if you found less expensive ones.

Couple weeks ago I snagged LED Christmas lights at Dollar Tree - 10 LED strings that run off 3v (2xAA batteries) for US$1 is a good deal! Sometimes they have those silly LED lighted necklaces that are low voltage (use watch batteries) for smaller LEDs. Just have to figure out if they wired in series or parallel and total voltage of batteries used so you know what voltage a single LED needs. Dollar stores and party favor stores can be a good source!

Thank you for your reply, I’m happy for you to find a great deal!

I will go with pre-wired ones because the price difference isn’t that big for buying all the parts separately and soldering them but I will keep searching a bit more.

I will ask more if I struggle much. Have a nice day!

Old 01-23-2020, 05:59 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Looking for resistor for LEDs?

Best way V
https://calculator-online.net/ohms-law-calculator/

pep
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 06:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
Looking for resistor for LEDs?

Best way V
https://calculator-online.net/ohms-law-calculator/

pep

Thank you very much!

Old 01-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkeBulur View Post
Thank you so much for your reply, I will note these down. Probably I will buy wired LEDs with already soldered to its a resistor, should I ask the seller which resistor does he used of nope? Because receiver port gives 4.5v-6v I think any simple resistor could handle it, what's your opinion?

Have a nice day!

i found a site that deals with exsacly what your asking about

https://www.instructables.com/id/Cho...Use-With-LEDs/
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 09:28 AM   #16

Default Which led controller will be best for my new led sytem?

It says 9V-12V for 3mm and 5mm prewired leds, can I use them with servo voltage of 4.5V-6V?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202609529472

Last edited by BerkeBulur; 01-23-2020 at 09:29 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #17

Quote:
i found a site that deals with exsacly what your asking about

https://www.instructables.com/id/Cho...Use-With-LEDs/

Thank you very much!

Old 01-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

wow, you have been given lots of advice already!
Let me know if I can help.
I'll just leave this, and a reminder that if you want to operate your lights from a remote control, I have many solutions.
How to wire LEDs
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 06:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
wow, you have been given lots of advice already!
Let me know if I can help.
I'll just leave this, and a reminder that if you want to operate your lights from a remote control, I have many solutions.
How to wire LEDs

Actually, yes I need advice on how to operate them with a good but simple way. I found some LED controllers but they all have one socket/port to control. Traxxas made led supply that makes you easier to control them because of the app but I don't know does it works on mine. If you help me with this I will so glad.

Old 01-24-2020, 06:26 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I feel pretty confident to comment on the controllers I make, but I really know nothing about what Traxxas makes. Sorry.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote

Which led controller will be best for my new led sytem? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 and AX24257 simple LED controller w/LED lights problem driverx2 Axial SCX-10 6 12-08-2014 08:31 PM