Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo recommendations for 6v.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #21

Default Re: Servo recommendations for 6v.

I find this a bit hilarious for the 1212 -
"Operates directly on 7.4v without the need for an external BEC"
"Stall Current (at locked): 8200mA @6.0V, 10000mA @7.4V"

Uh, yeah you need a BEC here.

I use a No Brainer on my rig with a 2290 at 6v currently and I love it. I like the no muss no fuss nature but I also can't solder.
Icehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2020, 06:47 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Change your search terms to "buck converter" and the price falls to about $0.75
Don't want to hijack this post but is this what you are talking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Buck-...EAAOSwYUdbShcv

I'm really interested in something like this if I can set it at 6V. They talk about 3V, 3.3V, 5V, 9v, 12V, 24V. Then show output of 1V to 17V, which makes me think it should be infinitely adjustable with the pot. My cheap-ass BECs for 6V LED lights have tripled in price so interested to know if this would be a solid replacement? I'm a little different because I power my lights off a wire tap on the ESC battery connector thru a BEC and always have 6V to the lights, whether I am running 2s or 3s batteries.

Cheap old guy I am, I would order 1 to test but if I know I can set to 6V I'll order 5 or 10 at a pop as it looks like 5 - 8 weeks delivery from China.

Thanks.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post

I'm really interested in something like this if I can set it at 6V. They talk about 3V, 3.3V, 5V, 9v, 12V, 24V. Then show output of 1V to 17V, which makes me think it should be infinitely adjustable with the pot. My cheap-ass BECs for 6V LED lights have tripled in price so interested to know if this would be a solid replacement? I'm a little different because I power my lights off a wire tap on the ESC battery connector thru a BEC and always have 6V to the lights, whether I am running 2s or 3s batteries.

Cheap old guy I am, I would order 1 to test but if I know I can set to 6V I'll order 5 or 10 at a pop as it looks like 5 - 8 weeks delivery from China.

Thanks.
Yup. There's a million variations, but that's one of them. You're not going to run a servo on one, but they're great for aux lights, or if you want to set your ESC to a voltage that's best for the servo, you can use one of these to drop that voltage to something safer for the receiver.

Also, depending on those "cheap ass BECs" that you're using for your lights, sometimes you can actually get 2 BECs out of 1. The little ones that come shrink wrapped often have 2 of these buck converters in parallel to raise the current output. For LEDs and other low current items, you can cut away the shrink wrap, and separate them, giving you 2 BECs.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:42 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote - Originally Posted by nightcrawler48

Thanks.

Quote - Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
Yup. There's a million variations, but that's one of them. You're not going to run a servo on one, but they're great for aux lights, or if you want to set your ESC to a voltage that's best for the servo, you can use one of these to drop that voltage to something safer for the receiver.

Also, depending on those "cheap ass BECs" that you're using for your lights, sometimes you can actually get 2 BECs out of 1. The little ones that come shrink wrapped often have 2 of these buck converters in parallel to raise the current output. For LEDs and other low current items, you can cut away the shrink wrap, and separate them, giving you 2 BECs.

Thanks Jim. I'll be ordering some of these. The BECs I use are dedicated to powering LED lights only, so these buck converters will work perfect for that.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:09 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Change your search terms to "buck converter" and the price falls to about $0.75
Just want to say thanks to Jim for the "buck converter" info. I had heard of these but never actually got around to looking at them. Wasn't too sure about what to expect so blew the budget and ordered 3. Got them this week and wired 1 up for testing. Works exactly as described and I will be running all my LED lights off these instead of the "cheap" BECs I was using.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:38 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
Just want to say thanks to Jim for the "buck converter" info. I had heard of these but never actually got around to looking at them. Wasn't too sure about what to expect so blew the budget and ordered 3. Got them this week and wired 1 up for testing. Works exactly as described and I will be running all my LED lights off these instead of the "cheap" BECs I was using.
Glad I could help. Just make sure when you're adjusting the output voltage that you put some kind of load on them, because these cheap guys can output a higher voltage unloaded, then settle down as soon as they're loaded.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 10:04 AM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Glad I could help. Just make sure when you're adjusting the output voltage that you put some kind of load on them, because these cheap guys can output a higher voltage unloaded, then settle down as soon as they're loaded.
Thanks for the additional info Jim. I'll keep the voltage drop thing in mind when I actually set one up to use.

Servo recommendations for 6v. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dig servo recommendations jebster Team Losi Comp Crawler 8 01-03-2012 11:09 AM
Servo recommendations inkdaddy66 Axial XR10 18 08-17-2011 06:46 PM
Servo and Receiver Recommendations Willy Electronics 6 09-25-2009 04:53 PM
Scaler servo recommendations... racerx Electronics 6 05-03-2008 12:50 PM