Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless motor noob question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2020, 12:47 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Brushless motor noob question

I’m in the process of finishing up a build and am a bit confused on motor wiring. I’m pairing a Tekin Redline sensored motor with a Mamba Max Pro esc. Question is, which wire (red white black) on the esc corresponds with A,B, and C on the motor? The motor wires are all black so it not as simple as matching color to color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jason02ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Brushless motor noob question

if im not mistaken when looking from the back of the motor the wire to the left is always A then B then C. should be marked on there somewhere. if it isnt then that is unfortunate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
midwest_rippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_rippa View Post
if im not mistaken when looking from the back of the motor the wire to the left is always A then B then C. should be marked on there somewhere. if it isnt then that is unfortunate.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It’s definitely marked, my question is does A=positive, B=signal, and C=negative?

Old 02-17-2020, 01:33 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason02ws6 View Post
It’s definitely marked, my question is does A=positive, B=signal, and C=negative?
The ABC wires on the motor are phase wires, they each activate a portion of the magnetic field within the can (ex. A wire activates 1/3 of the magnetic field, B wire operates the next 1/3, and so on). They need to be connected to the ESC in the correct order (when using a sensored motor) in order to make the field generate in the correct pattern to make the rotor spin.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:12 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The label on the ESC should be marked as to which wire is which. If you don't have a label it is -+ABC.

You can't think of any wire on a brushless motor as positive or negative. Each wire is positive and negative at very precise times during the rotation of the motor in order to make it spin. At one moment A will be connected to + and B will be connected to -. Then 60 degrees of rotation later, B will be disconnected and C will be connected to -. 60 degrees later, A will be disconnected and B will be connected to +. These changes happen hundreds of times per second, so calling and wire positive is incorrect. The only reason that we would use those colors was to save on the number of wire colors we had to stock. If you are curious it is called the '6 step brushless commutation processes'
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:58 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
The label on the ESC should be marked as to which wire is which. If you don't have a label it is -+ABC.

You can't think of any wire on a brushless motor as positive or negative. Each wire is positive and negative at very precise times during the rotation of the motor in order to make it spin. At one moment A will be connected to + and B will be connected to -. Then 60 degrees of rotation later, B will be disconnected and C will be connected to -. 60 degrees later, A will be disconnected and B will be connected to +. These changes happen hundreds of times per second, so calling and wire positive is incorrect. The only reason that we would use those colors was to save on the number of wire colors we had to stock. If you are curious it is called the '6 step brushless commutation processes'

Thank you. This is exactly what I needed. I guess my brain saw red and black and went +/-, your comment provides tons of clarity!

Brushless motor noob question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another motor question from a noob amped up Axial Yeti 20 11-24-2015 09:07 AM
Noob motor question pro mod steve Electronics 3 12-05-2014 09:12 PM
noob motor question Rocklandwraith Newbie General 3 11-24-2011 10:08 AM
Noob question, wiring mmp to ballistic brushless motor Slowkrawl Electronics 3 10-01-2011 03:42 PM
Noob - Motor Question letus Electronics 0 02-01-2009 08:23 PM