Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: glitch buster on roids ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default glitch buster on roids ?

i was just thinking about making a glitch buster then had a thought could a person use a cap pac "multiple clitch busters" or one big glitch buster on the reciver or directly hooked to the servo to provide cleaner power to the servo the glitch buster works good but only for a short time so more caps should give longer output times atleast thats what im thinking

10 caps should have 10 times the stored energy of 1 cap so that should give 10 times more time to work the servo before browning out

i know a bec dose this job too but the becs have limits and put out dirty power not that ive ever noticed it
the caps should put out more amps with out stressing the system and do it cleaner and im thinking the caps would do better in water too

maybe a cheap bec and a cap pac

any thoughts is this a waist of time and resorces

am i overthinking this

will this kill the esc or bec

should i just make a set up and test it or just forget about it
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2020, 08:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: glitch buster on roids ?

A little experimentation is never a bad thing in this hobby. With that, a good ESC like the Mamba-X, or going to an external BEC solves this problem.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'll be watching this thread, as curiosity had gotten ahold of me, as well. Although I don't know how feasible a multi-cap would be attached directly to the Rx, your idea of attaching it directly to the servo would, essentially, be no different than an external BEC. However, it's the first idea I'm curious about, thus the reason I've subscribed to this thread.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Experimentation is the key to innovation. If people aren't out there trying different things than nothing ever gets pushed ahead. A lot of ideas fail but you never know until you try..

In this case, with my limited understanding of caps and their functionality (I studied Electronic eng. for exactly 4 months in my Mech eng. program so I'm far from an expert on the subject, but I know a little bit more than someone that doesn't know what a cap is..), I'm not really expecting that they will provide an adequate amount/duration of power to help a steering servo, but I absolutely think you should explore this idea, there's a really good chance I'm wrong about that and I love watching people discover new and innovative ways to fulfill needs!

I can't see it damaging the esc/Rx and I definitely don't think it's a waste of time or resources. You should do some testing and let us know!
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:44 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

well ill give it a try then ive got a couple of rigs i can try this on one has a failing bec so i should be able to do a decent test
Old 03-24-2020, 02:01 PM   #6

Capacitors with a higher ESR will be less effective at buffering voltage to the ESC. Wiring additional capacitors in parallel will result in higher ESR (you add the ESR values of multiple caps in parallel), so you'll reach a point where more caps stop helping. Sometimes you're better off with one larger cap, provided it has a lower ESR than the combination of smaller caps.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:24 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I saw this video and it reminded me of this thread.

It is a little different application, but still a cap-bank on riods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmrSv76yhio

If you could get enough geeks together, it would be fun to build dragsters that run off of cap banks.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:03 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I saw this video and it reminded me of this thread.

It is a little different application, but still a cap-bank on riods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmrSv76yhio

If you could get enough geeks together, it would be fun to build dragsters that run off of cap banks.
Oh wow, I had no idea you could get capacitors to discharge so slowly. I always thought it was BAM!

VERY COOL
R/C controls YOU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

capacitors are changing some people use them instead of car batterys they still loose charge rather quickly but hold juice longenuff to start a car for a few days and provide more amps to the starter so the car starts easyer
i made a pack but havent tested it yet ill try a few different setups and see if any work as of right now i only get a few seconds of run time when using the pack i have so maybe i need different packs or maybe its enuff to smooth out the voltage ill update after testing i still havent tested my home made pack against the store bought pack yet it would be interesting to see how my pack holds up against a factory made glitch buster
Old 03-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I don't see capacitors as powering vehicles...however, I can see a strong potential for them to be used to give vehicles a quick boost, such as accelerating quickly up to freeway speed when entering, or to pass another driver. There are a couple of questions...and one major concern...that would need to be covered.

Based on the size & weight of vehicles, how many capacitors would actually be needed? Also, what size? As for the 'concern', considering the potential dangerous nature of capacitors, what would be done to protect those inside the vehicles should the capacitors "blow"? I do see their use as being a viable 'solution'...but, it is many years away from becoming a reality.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
I don't see capacitors as powering vehicles...however, I can see a strong potential for them to be used to give vehicles a quick boost, such as accelerating quickly up to freeway speed when entering, or to pass another driver. There are a couple of questions...and one major concern...that would need to be covered.

Based on the size & weight of vehicles, how many capacitors would actually be needed? Also, what size? As for the 'concern', considering the potential dangerous nature of capacitors, what would be done to protect those inside the vehicles should the capacitors "blow"? I do see their use as being a viable 'solution'...but, it is many years away from becoming a reality.

most escs have caps built in just for that reason i have a esc were the cap pac came loose and the esc has no punch i resoldered it back to the esc and its got its punch back but im thinking more about boosting the servo not the esc
Old 04-20-2020, 07:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

i just ran across this cap pack on ebay lol im guessing its for the motor though http://www.ebay.com/itm/123896603143i did make a pack and hooked it up to the esc that has the bec going out and it is helping the rig is runable if im easy on the steering

glitch buster on roids ? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glitch Buster Bigbush979 Newbie General 4 03-15-2019 12:29 PM
Glitch buster wcdfmt510 Electronics 3 06-11-2018 05:38 PM
glitch buster Zerocool91 Traxxas TRX-4 4 03-04-2018 05:12 AM
When to Use CC BEC vs. Glitch Buster? alexchen86 Electronics 7 05-12-2013 01:32 PM
novak glitch buster ohmyCLOD! Electronics 1 12-24-2008 11:32 AM