Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX3R or get newer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default DX3R or get newer

Hey Crawlers

Having few issues with my Spektrum DX3R and just paid $17 in shipping to send in for service.
I'd love to have the new Dx5 rugged, its about time, so awesome!
Is there trade in credit for older transmitters?
How worthy is the DX3R today?

trying to decide if to approve cost repair or repair and sell it, how would you decide?

I kinda need it as my backup as its much more replaceable and lighter than my custom made DX6i dual wheel dual trigger Pistol transmitter.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: DX3R or get newer

I don't believe there is a standing trade in policy but Horizon has run several events in the past where you trade in a radio and get a credit towards a new Spektrum model.

As for the DX3, it is still a fine radio with all the adjustments you would need and the ability to use the cheap DSM compatible receivers is great. However, being only 3 channel holds it back when trucks are coming with more features that require extra radio channels. I still use my DX3 occasionally but use my DX5 Rugged way more these days.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:28 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I sent my DX3 in for repair when the job dial stopped working. They not only fixed the dial, but they also tuned everything else up and it came back working like brand new. If it were not for wanting more channels, I'll likely still be using that radio.

Like SVT said, I do not believe there is a trade-in program. But, there are a good number of people that snap up DX3s when they show up in the Market Place.

One of the nice things about upgrading to a DX5 is that you can use your old DSM2 RXs (sadly, the DSM RXs are not compatible). Any, you can get off-brand 3ch DSM2 RXs four about $15 each on Amazon.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
I don't believe there is a standing trade in policy but Horizon has run several events in the past where you trade in a radio and get a credit towards a new Spektrum model.

As for the DX3, it is still a fine radio with all the adjustments you would need and the ability to use the cheap DSM compatible receivers is great. However, being only 3 channel holds it back when trucks are coming with more features that require extra radio channels. I still use my DX3 occasionally but use my DX5 Rugged way more these days.
Thank You SVT923
Thats what I needed to hear.
I sent it in for a tune, $13.07 plus shipping .
I just like the light weight tx and the fact that if something were to happen to it, its not a big deal like my Custom DX6i pistol which runs all 5 of my vehicles, my moa Dual esc, supwer with 4ws dig, scaler with winch, 1/5 awd with a brake button, shortcourse also with brake button on my pistol handle .
the dx3r is just my backup radio. but my SR3100 is not working, so now looking for a replacement rx
May I ask what is svt923?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
I sent my DX3 in for repair when the job dial stopped working. They not only fixed the dial, but they also tuned everything else up and it came back working like brand new. If it were not for wanting more channels, I'll likely still be using that radio.

Like SVT said, I do not believe there is a trade-in program. But, there are a good number of people that snap up DX3s when they show up in the Market Place.

One of the nice things about upgrading to a DX5 is that you can use your old DSM2 RXs (sadly, the DSM RXs are not compatible). Any, you can get off-brand 3ch DSM2 RXs four about $15 each on Amazon.
Thank You Greatscott
are the "off-brand" rx really worth it?
I'm not into supporting copy cats. I read about binding and other issues on the orange rx.
also read problems on spektrum SR3100 , the SR3000 or 3300 appear better reliability.

To All,
On the DX3R
Which button selector do I program for Front Dig?
After much time programming my newer DX6 stick , I'm having tough time with controlling dual esc's on right stick. my ar500 rx throttle ch is dead

Can I program 1 button so I can pull trigger thrtle for front ESC and have the 2nd esc rear go backwards set at certain percentage ?
program the second 2 position button so that i have independent control of the rear esc?
or perhpas a thread on most popular Dual esc pistol radio programing?

Thank you in rock loads
Old 04-04-2020, 06:19 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
Thank You SVT923
Thats what I needed to hear.
I sent it in for a tune, $13.07 plus shipping .
I just like the light weight tx and the fact that if something were to happen to it, its not a big deal like my Custom DX6i pistol which runs all 5 of my vehicles, my moa Dual esc, supwer with 4ws dig, scaler with winch, 1/5 awd with a brake button, shortcourse also with brake button on my pistol handle .
the dx3r is just my backup radio. but my SR3100 is not working, so now looking for a replacement rx
May I ask what is svt923?

Thank You Greatscott
are the "off-brand" rx really worth it?
I'm not into supporting copy cats. I read about binding and other issues on the orange rx.
also read problems on spektrum SR3100 , the SR3000 or 3300 appear better reliability.

To All,
On the DX3R
Which button selector do I program for Front Dig?
After much time programming my newer DX6 stick , I'm having tough time with controlling dual esc's on right stick. my ar500 rx throttle ch is dead

Can I program 1 button so I can pull trigger thrtle for front ESC and have the 2nd esc rear go backwards set at certain percentage ?
program the second 2 position button so that i have independent control of the rear esc?
or perhpas a thread on most popular Dual esc pistol radio programing?

Thank you in rock loads
For a throw-in 3-ch RX, with no telemetry or AVC, the $15 RXs are fine. DSM2 RXs do have issues at times binding on DSMR TXs (DX5/6 series), and often you'll have to reduce the resolution to get them to bind. But, once bound they are just as reliable as any other RX.

Like you, I am not a fan of knock-off merch, but the DSM2 technology is so old, it is more or less like abandoned, or open standards. Plus, if I want a RX that has telemetry, AVC or more than three channels, which is a good chunk of my rigs, then I have to buy genuine Spetrum hardware.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:57 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
For a throw-in 3-ch RX, with no telemetry or AVC, the $15 RXs are fine. DSM2 RXs do have issues at times binding on DSMR TXs (DX5/6 series), and often you'll have to reduce the resolution to get them to bind. But, once bound they are just as reliable as any other RX.

Like you, I am not a fan of knock-off merch, but the DSM2 technology is so old, it is more or less like abandoned, or open standards. Plus, if I want a RX that has telemetry, AVC or more than three channels, which is a good chunk of my rigs, then I have to buy genuine Spetrum hardware.
Thanks GreatScott
I spoke with Spektrum today (waited 42 minutes) , there are just 5 models that work wth DX3R
SR3100
SR300, SR301
R415. So I just bought this at Adorama . its DSM2 and DSMR 4Ch.
SR200
Old 04-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I'm in the same spot- I really like my DX3R, but finding recievers has become a problem- I have a couple enroute from China-but the way things are going-not sure if they will evr show up- I like the new specktrum radios but the initial expense and to buy extra receivers is pricey as I have 5 trucks- The flysk (?) seems people either love 'em or hate 'em-
oldblue2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue2010 View Post
I'm in the same spot- I really like my DX3R, but finding recievers has become a problem- I have a couple enroute from China-but the way things are going-not sure if they will evr show up- I like the new specktrum radios but the initial expense and to buy extra receivers is pricey as I have 5 trucks- The flysk (?) seems people either love 'em or hate 'em-
I spoke with Spektrum,
receiver options are:
SR215 2ch
SR315 3ch
SR415 4ch discontinued.
SR515 5ch
SR3100
SR300
SR301
SR200
What is so great about these is that run on the older Transmitters as well as the new DSMR. DSM2
I read elsewhere that "Losi" rx works but its safe going with original Spektrum.

I had recently purchased a SR415 on Adorama .
stay away from these folks, after many many emails with them they came back and said that the item is on back order. I told them to cancel , they said ok and not to worry that I wont be charged. Even though I had to pay through paypal to make my order. It still continues and im waiting to be refunded.
I checked with Horrizon and the rx is actually discontinued.

I sent My DX3R in for service $13. now I cant wait for a rx as I some how broke my 301rx.

DX3R or get newer - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anybody get the newer hr tranny yet Phins Fan General Crawlers 6 04-03-2014 11:06 AM