Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Using Futaba 7px to turn on LED lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2020, 07:33 PM   #1

Default Using Futaba 7px to turn on LED lights

Hey guys, I'm trying to figure out how to use my 7PX and any of the open triggers to turn on my LED's. I have the Traxxas LED setup on my TRX4 Sport tied to Channel 3 on my receiver. I had this working with my 4PLS and I can't figure this out. I have a "condition" set using switch PS2 (silver switch on the handle)

Sorry if this has been covered
Red5Ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Using Futaba 7px to turn on LED lights

I have a 7PX, which I currently have set up to control lighting on two (soon to be more) vehicles. So far, I've found two ways to do this. The first is with the use of a Futaba CPS-1. You plug it into whatever Rx channel you want to use...then, on the Tx, you set up 'CPS mixing'. The second way is though using a Powershift RC PST 2-position switch w/ built-in 12V booster (doesn't require the 'CPS mixing'). Going either route, you plug your lights into the other end, and can use splitters to power multiple lights (such as headlights, taillights and/or a roof-mounted lightbar). Both options operate in a similar manner. Between the Rx connector, and the lighting connector, there's a controller chip. Between the Rx & chip, there's 3 wires. Between the chip & lighting connector, there 2. The signal wire tells the chip whether to allow electricity their (on), or not (off).

With my first Capra, I went with the first option, using to two CPS-1 units, to individually control the headlights & lightbar. With my second Capra, I'm currently using the second option. I have two 1.5" lightbars connected together by a 2-way connector. Then, using a 3-way connector, I've got the headlights, lightbars, and tail lights, all connected to the Powershift booster. Eventually, I'll be changing the setup...one Powershift booster to control the headlights & taillights, and a second Powershift booster to control the lightbars.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Good tip filing that: Futaba CPS-1.

Thanks
JacktheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacktheRipper View Post
Good tip filing that: Futaba CPS-1.

Thanks
Can usually be found on eBay & Amazon. Several online hobby shop carry them. You can (almost) always find them on Futaba's website. Here's the USA URL: https://futabausa.com/product/cps-1/

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Old 03-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #5

So, do you have to use a Futaba CPS-1 switch to make this work or can you use another manufacturer electric switch? If you can, what settings in the radio do you use?
Red5Ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

$20. Plug and play.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/heyrcsw1.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
KulaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red5Ltr View Post
So, do you have to use a Futaba CPS-1 switch to make this work or can you use another manufacturer electric switch? If you can, what settings in the radio do you use?
No, Futaba's own CPS-1 isn't "required"...there are other possibilities. Kula mentioned one. PowerShift RC makes one that's also a 12V booster. They're available from Amain, Amazon, eBay, and other sources. I was recently told about Hansen Hobbies (http://www.hansenhobbies.com/), which has multiple options, and at a MUCH lower price. Their PERS units are good for receiver/BEC output up to 6V, while their NERS up to 10V.

Using Futaba 7px to turn on LED lights - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba 4pl . helllpppp.... Trying to set up lights on a switch to turn on / off newtorcguy Electronics 3 07-22-2019 03:53 PM
Futaba 7PX Laz79 Traxxas TRX-4 3 06-07-2019 07:55 AM
Futaba 7PX - Chiphead Electronics 6 08-17-2017 11:32 PM
Ever use one of those ebay LED kits for turn signals/brake lights? GWEEDZ Scale Accessories 2 08-29-2011 06:58 PM