Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Confusion with upgrading esc/motor/servo and BEC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2020, 11:11 PM   #1

Default Confusion with upgrading esc/motor/servo and BEC

I currently have a TRX4 with stock motor/radio gear.
Ive given myself two options........
Hobbywing 1080 brushes esc with HH Crawlmaster Pro and power HD servo

Hobbywing AXE brushless esc and motor (not sure which KV) and a power HD servo.

Will fitting either of these effect the standard servos that are fitted for shifting and diff locking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RetroGlide08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2020, 02:22 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Confusion with upgrading esc/motor/servo and BEC

If you set the ESC Voltage at 6V it will work fine.
The standard servos diff/shift can only take max 6V.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:23 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
If you set the ESC Voltage at 6V it will work fine.
The standard servos diff/shift can only take max 6V.

Thank you for clearing that up. I’m not competing and will only ever be doing trail runs anyway so max steering power isn’t a major need for me

RetroGlide08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

To add to that, the Traxxas receiver can also only take 6.0v.
Lashlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:20 PM   #5

So if you get the hobbywing axe 550 and upgrade the receiver to a model the can handle 7.4v, like the flysky gt5 combo 6-8.4v, you still cannot run 7.4v because it’ll fry the diff and transmission servos?

So are people getting the signal from the stock traxxas receiver and just getting 7.4v or more for their steering servos from an external BEC or battery tap?

chunkydonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkydonkey View Post
So if you get the hobbywing axe 550 and upgrade the receiver to a model the can handle 7.4v, like the flysky gt5 combo 6-8.4v, you still cannot run 7.4v because it’ll fry the diff and transmission servos?

So are people getting the signal from the stock traxxas receiver and just getting 7.4v or more for their steering servos from an external BEC or battery tap?

Yes. But also run a redundant ground from the receiver aswell as the servos power source.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I would go one upgrade at a time. I would start with a 9T pinion gear. A 3S Battery if you do not have one already. Then the 1080 ESC with program card. A high quality steering servo/bec/ metal steering horn. Under drive or overdrive. Then if you want more torque and power...a HH brushed motor. Ask for the advance sticker to be applied to the motor as two people lately have received their motors with the old notches.
Jeff6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 08:48 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I have 3 Axe units. Love them.

They come stock with the BEC set at 6v. It can be changed via the program menu (I just Bluetooth into the Axe ESC with my Phone) and change the BEC to 7.4v. So out of the box you'll be fine with the Traxxas Servos on the diffs and 2nd gear. This would keep the steering servo at a 6v setting as well, so you may not get the full torque if the steering servo of choice can take 7.4 (many can today). Same goes with the 1080wp. it comes set to 6v, but via a program card, you can set the bec to 7.4v.

So both ESCs you are looking at are set to 6v out of the box.

Many people really like the HH Gear. Its American Made and Designed and supporting Holmes would be a good thing and he makes great items for sure.

But I do really like how the AXE Rigs handle. I don't do "Comps" but have no doubt they would do very well in a comp rig/course when it mattered.

So your stock trx servos will be fine so long as you don't change the BEC setting to 7.4. And they may work at 7.4, jus tnot for too long I would suspect. Proprety End Point Settings are Key in Servo Life across the board on a kind of side note. Some things are not rated for, but can handle a slightly higher voltage.

as far as motor for the Axe, there is the 540 can motors and now the 550s, the 550s are the 3300 (which I have 2) and the 2700.
The 540s are the 2300 (in my Gen8 AXE rig), 1800 and I think the 1200kv option is the 3rd in the 540 size cans.

The 550s have more torque, but the TRXs are pretty good for low end out of the box, and with the 2nd speed still will go plent fast even on the slowest AXE 540 combo being the 1200kv setup I believe.
The 2300 in my Gen8 gives plenty of torque and slow wheel speed on that rig. I run with guys that have TRXs and they are faster than I am in 2nd gear, but not by too much. In my one that I have one of the 3300s in (SSD Trial King Rig with strait axles) We are almost the same speed when they are in 2nd and I can still get as slow wheel speed with they are in 1st.

If I had a TRX id. probably go with the 2700kv AXE Combo. It should be too fast at top speed in 2nd, and be great low creeper speed in 1st.

Is good to have the power and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

One other thing to keep in mind here is the AXE motors have 5mm output shafts, so you'll have to get pinions as well.

Last edited by Timmahh; 09-05-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 11:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve g View Post
Yes. But also run a redundant ground from the receiver aswell as the servos power source.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thanks Steve g for the redundant ground tip. I’ll keep this in mind.

Old 09-05-2020, 11:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
I have 3 Axe units. Love them.

They come stock with the BEC set at 6v. It can be changed via the program menu (I just Bluetooth into the Axe ESC with my Phone) and change the BEC to 7.4v. So out of the box you'll be fine with the Traxxas Servos on the diffs and 2nd gear. This would keep the steering servo at a 6v setting as well, so you may not get the full torque if the steering servo of choice can take 7.4 (many can today). Same goes with the 1080wp. it comes set to 6v, but via a program card, you can set the bec to 7.4v.

So both ESCs you are looking at are set to 6v out of the box.

Many people really like the HH Gear. Its American Made and Designed and supporting Holmes would be a good thing and he makes great items for sure.

But I do really like how the AXE Rigs handle. I don't do "Comps" but have no doubt they would do very well in a comp rig/course when it mattered.

So your stock trx servos will be fine so long as you don't change the BEC setting to 7.4. And they may work at 7.4, jus tnot for too long I would suspect. Proprety End Point Settings are Key in Servo Life across the board on a kind of side note. Some things are not rated for, but can handle a slightly higher voltage.

as far as motor for the Axe, there is the 540 can motors and now the 550s, the 550s are the 3300 (which I have 2) and the 2700.
The 540s are the 2300 (in my Gen8 AXE rig), 1800 and I think the 1200kv option is the 3rd in the 540 size cans.

The 550s have more torque, but the TRXs are pretty good for low end out of the box, and with the 2nd speed still will go plent fast even on the slowest AXE 540 combo being the 1200kv setup I believe.
The 2300 in my Gen8 gives plenty of torque and slow wheel speed on that rig. I run with guys that have TRXs and they are faster than I am in 2nd gear, but not by too much. In my one that I have one of the 3300s in (SSD Trial King Rig with strait axles) We are almost the same speed when they are in 2nd and I can still get as slow wheel speed with they are in 1st.

If I had a TRX id. probably go with the 2700kv AXE Combo. It should be too fast at top speed in 2nd, and be great low creeper speed in 1st.

Is good to have the power and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

One other thing to keep in mind here is the AXE motors have 5mm output shafts, so you'll have to get pinions as well.
All the videos and posts have used the 12T gear included with the Hobbywing AXE 550 combo. Is this not a direct install in a TRX4?

My current setup is a TRX4 defender, 3S and 2S batteries, a little brass, reefs 555, and a bunch of mytrickrc stuff. Adjusted my end points when installing reefs 555 and brass at the same time. My kids and I drive a lot in shallow water so my stock Titan 21T 550 went out after 4-5 months of daily driving.

I went brushless due to the amount of water we drive in. I bought a Hobbywing AXE 550 2700kV combo yesterday after a week or so of “research.” I want to make sure I know what I’m doing before cracking the boxes open. Then, I went down the BEC rabbit hole when I couldn’t figure out how to wire it up on paper (ie draw it out first). Learned a lot in the last 24 hours and have a ton more to go. Thanks to all the quick responses.

Now I’m trying to weigh my options.

Hobbywing 7.4v BEC with Flysky receiver and unhook the diff and transmission servos?

Stay 6V and go external BEC 7.4V for the Reefs 555?

Seems like Flysky GT5 for easier end points, LED light control and an external BEC is the blend of both options to get it all properly hooked up.

Old 09-06-2020, 10:26 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

So I’ve been out of the rc hobby for a while and it has definitely made advances. When I had my emaxx like 15 years ago I don’t ever remember hearing about bec or anything about keeping 6v for the servo? Brushless was so new the price kept me from looking into it. Is there a good write up or video to get caught up with in and outs of the modern electronics?

austin-92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
RCC Addict

The big negative I see to the Axe system is that it uses a proprietary plug connection to the motor which limits your motor choices in the future. On the other hand, the HW 1080 is a very cost effective option which works surprisingly well when paired with the stock Traxxas Titan 550 21T motor using a 9t pinion and 3S battery.

Also, a good steering servo upgrade is the Savox 1230SG which is rated at 500 oz in at 6v making it electrically compatible with the Traxxas electronics eliminating the need to add an external BEC to supply a different voltage.

Last edited by Inspector86; 09-07-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkydonkey View Post
All the videos and posts have used the 12T gear included with the Hobbywing AXE 550 combo. Is this not a direct install in a TRX4?

My current setup is a TRX4 defender, 3S and 2S batteries, a little brass, reefs 555, and a bunch of mytrickrc stuff. Adjusted my end points when installing reefs 555 and brass at the same time. My kids and I drive a lot in shallow water so my stock Titan 21T 550 went out after 4-5 months of daily driving.

I went brushless due to the amount of water we drive in. I bought a Hobbywing AXE 550 2700kV combo yesterday after a week or so of “research.” I want to make sure I know what I’m doing before cracking the boxes open. Then, I went down the BEC rabbit hole when I couldn’t figure out how to wire it up on paper (ie draw it out first). Learned a lot in the last 24 hours and have a ton more to go. Thanks to all the quick responses.

Now I’m trying to weigh my options.

Hobbywing 7.4v BEC with Flysky receiver and unhook the diff and transmission servos?

Stay 6V and go external BEC 7.4V for the Reefs 555?

Seems like Flysky GT5 for easier end points, LED light control and an external BEC is the blend of both options to get it all properly hooked up.

For those other new folks clicked on this thread, among a ton of others, trying to figure out the upgrade path, i had two choices with an upgraded steering servo capable of 7.4v and stock TRX4 6.0v stock receiver and micro servos.

1. Leave the Hobbywing AXE BEC setting at 6.0v because of the TRX4 transmission and diff servos would prematurely die or

2. Buy a BEC and a programmer cable/adapter to update the BEC’s default voltage with $10 cable to get power and signal to the steering servo. Steering servo gets 7.4v and the receiver gets 6.0v which powers the three micro servos for the TRX4.

I went with the newer Castle waterproof 2.0 BEC because I drive through a lot of water and the castle “B-Link” Bluetooth adapter, about $50 each, and bought a BEC bypass adapter with extra power JST (2 wire red power connector) for things like powering mytrickrc LED kit or a winch.

I also upgraded to the Flysky GT5 during my F-it moment for easier control of LED lights and end point adjustments — not that the TQi was super hard with the blinking lights. I’ll have to figure out if separate diff control is useful with the GT5.

Hope this helps a few folks. Have a good day.

Old 09-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #14

I really like the castle mamba x esc. Lots of programming options
size does matter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The brushed combo will be able to go slower if that's a concern, at half the price its much better on the initial startup speed. Unless they did something to fix the axe I am not aware of. I have an an older axe, it goes in my least used crawler. I would have sold it a long time ago if I wasn't so lazy. Don't get me wrong, the axe isn't terrible, It's just not what I look for in a crawler motor. For trails it's fine.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Confusion with upgrading esc/motor/servo and BEC - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
upgrading servo without upgrading esc 1998xjspt Newbie General 5 01-06-2015 10:23 PM
New motor, esc, servo, bec...questions jayross101 Axial Wraith 3 11-04-2012 02:53 PM
Upgrading motor esc servo SMITHJEEPS Axial AX-10 Scorpion 23 04-29-2011 08:13 AM