Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Drive Gear Questions for Novice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Drive Gear Questions for Novice

Hello all. I am new to the forum as of today, and I am happy to have access to the incredible wealth of knowledge and experience here.

I purchased a Team Associated CR12, which was delivered last Saturday, and pretty quickly started hearing grinding noises coming from the truck while the drive motor was activated. I finally took it all apart today and found that the 12t gear on what Associated Electrics calls the "step gear" is stripped.

I run this thing in creeks a lot, which I believe has something to do with the damage, so I would like to replace all drive gears with metal drive gears if possible and not terribly expensive, but I am not sure exactly how to determine compatibility. I'll post pics of the truck (for fun), the stripped part, and the AE replacement parts that I would like to find metal versions of. Specs (as determined by me, a guy who doesn't know what he's doing): 56t "main drive gear"; 12t to 33t "step gear".

I would be very happy to receive recommendations on metal replacement parts. Please forgive my lack of specific knowledge on these things; when replying, please try to give as much detail as possible so that I can learn. I'm mechanically minded (former 10+ year bicycle mechanic), but have had zero experience with RC before I bought this CR12.

"Step Gear", AE part # 41041:
https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...r12_step_gear/
"Main Drive Gear", part # 41035:
https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...in_drive_gear/
Stripped "Step Gear":

CR12 Toyota FJ45:

Last edited by slothRC; 04-15-2020 at 06:57 PM. Reason: Changed images again
slothRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2020, 01:49 PM   #2

Default Re: Drive Gear Questions for Novice

Welcome to the site!

The photos are too large for this site as the maximum allowable size is 1200x1200.

Besides that, do you know the pitch of these gears? I'm not familiar with the CR-12. Knowing the pitch would go a long way in possibly finding other gears.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Welcome to the site!

The photos are too large for this site as the maximum allowable size is 1200x1200.

Besides that, do you know the pitch of these gears? I'm not familiar with the CR-12. Knowing the pitch would go a long way in possibly finding other gears.
Thanks for the welcome and the tip about image size! I edited it to links. I'll get out my calipers and do some measuring and get back about the pitch.
Old 04-15-2020, 04:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothRC View Post
Thanks for the welcome and the tip about image size! I edited it to links. I'll get out my calipers and do some measuring and get back about the pitch.
Sadly, your photos aren't showing for me now. Google Photos is a highly unreliable photo host for some reason. I recommend Imgur for a completely free option.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Please continue to work on being able to post pictures. With a CR12 you will need that skill set.

The metal transmission gears for the Thunder Tiger Kaiser will work as a replacement for the CR12. Unfortunately they are really hard to find right now.

https://www.gpmparts.com/thunder-tig...-90079983.html

I would contact Team Associated and ask for replacement gears so you can get your rig running again. This is a pretty common problem with the CR12.

Here is the video I used when I rebuilt a CR12 belonging to a friend of mine:
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
Please continue to work on being able to post pictures. With a CR12 you will need that skill set.

The metal transmission gears for the Thunder Tiger Kaiser will work as a replacement for the CR12. Unfortunately they are really hard to find right now.

https://www.gpmparts.com/thunder-tig...-90079983.html

I would contact Team Associated and ask for replacement gears so you can get your rig running again. This is a pretty common problem with the CR12.

Here is the video I used when I rebuilt a CR12 belonging to a friend of mine:
I fixed the pictures! They should be displaying now.

I found that video as well and found it very helpful, so thanks for posting that. I also just received an email from AE about the parts. They directed me to their RMA area to get my replacement parts from them, and they also recommended the GPM metal parts as a more durable replacement. Seeing as how the GPM replacements are out of stock everywhere, I am wondering if there are alternative options. I'm also a little nervous because the AE website shows even the stock replacement parts are out of stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Sadly, your photos aren't showing for me now. Google Photos is a highly unreliable photo host for some reason. I recommend Imgur for a completely free option.
I took your tip on Imgur and it looks like the photos are showing up now, thanks!

This is a bit rough because I'm not sure how much material was removed from the gears due to damage before measuring, but here's what I got for gear pitches (FYI, the "step gear" consists of the 12t and 33t):
12t: 37 or 38 pitch
33t: 40 pitch
56t: 41 pitch

FYI, wrong area I know, but just in case anyone is interested, here's a video I shot of the CR12 before it was out of commission. You can actually hear the pre-failure grinding noise in one of the shots (1:31):
https://youtu.be/MKXaACDmjk0

Last edited by slothRC; 04-15-2020 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

I 3D scanned and reverse engineered this gear and have 3D printed it and it does work..

The small gear pitch is what i an trying to confirm

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oi51cyl89...pkyiMcv1a?dl=0

STL file is here as well.

All gears need the same diametrical pitch...

Last edited by Mattmann23; 05-02-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Mattmann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Note to self: When looking for a new vehicle and replacement parts are listed as "hot item" > autocorrect to "fails often".
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Drive Gear Questions for Novice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
20 Tooth Drive Gear... Land Crab Axial Wraith 5 08-16-2012 03:10 PM
Final drive gear ?'s CREEPINKING HPI Wheely King 7 08-27-2010 04:41 PM
gear drive tlt? tjarr001 Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 03-06-2007 04:23 PM