Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: How to turn on LED lights with RX plug if i don't have an extra channel?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2020, 03:48 AM   #1

Default How to turn on LED lights with RX plug if i don't have an extra channel?

Hi guys,

I bought the GT Power High Powered Headlight system (http://www.gt-rc.com/en/pd.jsp?id=165#_pp=129_780) for my friends WLtoys buggy. However, i realized the WLtoys Rx do not have any extra channels. The headlights have a servo plug in order to turn them on and off. Is there another way to turn the lights on without plugging it into the RX? I tried plugging a 2S battery in, but it doesn't turn the LEDs on.

Thanks!
chiefroastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2020, 04:21 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How to turn on LED lights with RX plug if i don't have an extra channel?

This light system takes its power from the balance-plug of the battery and an extra channel on the rx provides signal to switch it on-off. It can't be used standalone.
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 05:51 AM   #3

Default Re: How to turn on LED lights with RX plug if i don't have an extra channel?

Thank you for your reply, so there's no way i can "spoof" the signal without plugging it into an RX? Thanks again
Old 04-28-2020, 07:14 AM   #4

Welcome to the site!

You can put the LED lights on a JST connector and solder the other side of the JST connector to the battery plug on the ESC.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:26 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
This light system takes its power from the balance-plug of the battery and an extra channel on the rx provides signal to switch it on-off. It can't be used standalone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
Thank you for your reply, so there's no way i can "spoof" the signal without plugging it into an RX? Thanks again
Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Welcome to the site!

You can put the LED lights on a JST connector and solder the other side of the JST connector to the battery plug on the ESC.
The controller is taking two inputs, power from the balance plug, and the control signal from the JST.

There are a couple of ways you can do this without having being able to plug in to the RX...

1. You can get a wireless winch remote from Hey-OK or RC4WD, this would give the lighting controller the signal it is looking for to turn on.

2. You can wire around the controller so that the LEDs are on when you turn on the RC. But, you likely will not be able to come directly off of the pack. Most of these LED system that have a built-in controller have 3V LEDs, with a tolerance of ± 0.5v; if you try to connect them to a 7VDC source, they'll flash once and fry.

3. If you do decided to wire around the controller, then ditch the whole system and just go with some Common Sense RC LEDs. They come pre-wired with a load resistor, and they have a wide operating range, 5 -12VDC.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefroastbeef View Post
Hi guys,

I bought the GT Power High Powered Headlight system (http://www.gt-rc.com/en/pd.jsp?id=165#_pp=129_780) for my friends WLtoys buggy. However, i realized the WLtoys Rx do not have any extra channels. The headlights have a servo plug in order to turn them on and off. Is there another way to turn the lights on without plugging it into the RX? I tried plugging a 2S battery in, but it doesn't turn the LEDs on.

Thanks!
Here the 'solution' to your 'problem:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192049916829

This doesn't use the Rx, at all. You solder one end to the ESC's battery leads, just as you would an external BEC, and then attach a male connector (JST, JR, or whatever your LEDs use) to the other end. You can't use your Rx for turning the lights on/off, but that's ok...the included remote provides MUCH MORE functionality. Short of replacing the Rx with a higher-channel unit (I'm using a 6-channel Rx, originally intended for airplanes, in my first Capra), this is the next best solution.

Now, get out there, and light up the night.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for your expertise! I appreciate it, I'll review the options and will see which one fits best for my friend's buggy.
Old 04-28-2020, 07:06 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

You can plug it into your battery’s balance lead,and then plug battery in. The lights should just come right on. You’ll have to look into other options if you want to have control of turning lights on n off remotely it looks like to me with that light set up since you don’t have a spare channel open
ICHItheKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:57 PM   #9

So when I tried plugging in my 2S battery, and the JST plug not plugged into anything, the lights won't turn on at all. I think for now I'll save this light for another project, and just wire up my own LEDs, thanks again guys.

Last edited by chiefroastbeef; 04-28-2020 at 10:23 PM.

How to turn on LED lights with RX plug if i don't have an extra channel? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Using Futaba 7px to turn on LED lights Red5Ltr Electronics 6 04-02-2020 10:07 AM
Third channel led lights switch & other newbie questions devuser Axial SCX-10 1 06-14-2016 11:13 AM
Name of the plug in the axial led lights Vitorted Axial Wraith 3 08-27-2013 09:54 PM
Want to use your third channel too turn lights on and off? atrain20210 Electronics 16 01-28-2013 06:17 PM
Ever use one of those ebay LED kits for turn signals/brake lights? GWEEDZ Scale Accessories 2 08-29-2011 06:58 PM