Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Expo on Throttle??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2020, 07:01 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Expo on Throttle??

I use the expo function a lot on my aerobatic planes to soften response around neutral while keeping maximum throw available at the end of stick travel for snap roll and other high energy maneuvers. I was wondering if the same could be used on our surface radios to soften throttle response upon initial trigger pull to increase precision on technical sections while crawling.

Being electronically challenged (what, are electrons REALLY moving along that wire?), would appreciated if those in the know could chime in: Will ESC's we use in our crawlers respond to expo in the desired manner? I have the FlySky GT5, so would be programming + expo to soften response (great little radio, btw).
JimInMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2020, 07:09 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Expo on Throttle??

It depends on the equipment you have, but it should work the same way as what you are doing for your aircraft.

First thing, make sure you calibrate the ESC to the radio, this will help a lot.

Second, what radio are you using. Many RTR radios have very limited, or no expo function at all.

What ESC and motor?

Normally this is something I have to do on the rigs where I am running RTR or cheaper ESC/motor combos. Higher end systems like the Mamba-Xs with sensored motors tend to need little adjustment. Plus, the higher end ESCs normally have their own expo settings, so you can set the amount you like without having to change the radio.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:20 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If your Flysky radio has expo adjustment on throttle channel yes you can use this the same way as you have for airplanes.

As GreatScott stated if you can do it in your ESC such as the Mamba you can make those type of adjustments there.

If you find that squeezing just a little makes your rig jump more than you want it to dial in expo to reduce the sensitivity around neutral just like you do with your planes. I do this with my rigs on the controller as I use the AXE system and you cannot make the adjustment in the ESC.

I did just pick up a Mamba X / Slate combo from Tanis so I will be playing with throttle curves in the ESC whenever I decide what I am going to place this system into.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:30 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Greatscott, I have the FlySky GT5 transmitter, so would be programming + expo to soften response. The reason I want to go the expo route is cause I generally use cheap ESC's (Hobbywing 1060) that offer no programming possibilities. I don't own any RTR's as for me building the rigs is at least as enjoyable as running them.

$uicide $hift, thx for confirming that I can use expo to soften initial throttle response in my low-budget setup.
Old 04-30-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I prefer the throttle curve in the esc. JRH mentions to use that before expo. With my curve, I don’t need expo anyway

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:19 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I prefer the throttle curve in the esc. JRH mentions to use that before expo. With my curve, I don’t need expo anyway

Hang up and Drive
I hear you Mike, but the ESC's I'm using have no programming possibilities and I was lookin for a work-around.
Old 04-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimInMiami View Post
I hear you Mike, but the ESC's I'm using have no programming possibilities and I was lookin for a work-around.

Then expo for the win!

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Short answer is Yes expo absolutely works on a ground vehicle. In my Mamba X I programmed the throttle curve. With my HW1080s I adjust the expo on my transmitter.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Short answer is Yes expo absolutely works on a ground vehicle. In my Mamba X I programmed the throttle curve. With my HW1080s I adjust the expo on my transmitter.
Great, thanks for that!
Old 05-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Expo on the remote will not increase the number of low speed points, it's the same as if you were just more careful with your finger. Esc curve is tecnicaly better but expo is good enough if that's all you got and that's what you want.

Expo on Throttle?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help. Throttle controlling throttle and steering andneverexhale Electronics 6 08-21-2014 07:46 PM
Offroad expo redjeeper General Crawlers 0 10-10-2009 12:38 PM
Anyone else going to the RCX Expo???? bluonyx Chit Chat 10 03-08-2007 12:18 PM
Hobby Expo 90DEGREES Chit Chat 0 10-21-2005 02:25 PM