RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Flysky problems (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/618184-flysky-problems.html)

triptherip 05-12-2020 12:29 PM

Flysky problems

So, about a month ago i purchased a redcat gen 8 axe edition rtr so i can social distance myself in the woods. Ive run almost a battery pack per day through it since it arrived here, weather permitting. Today, my flysky fs-gt5 started beeping and the display stopped. I turned it off and went into the house to change the batteries to brand new ones, but i still have no display. I cant see to make changes on anything. I can still control the truck, but i cant see to make changes on the transmitter. I have tried to bind it to the truck , and it binds fine, but still no display. Has anyone one had a similar problem? I haven't dropped it or left it on or anything like that. Im confused.

QuesoDelDiablo 05-12-2020 02:34 PM

Re: Flysky problems

I'm assuming you're 100% confident that the batteries you grabbed are good? Not a case of a wife leaving some batteries laying around that you thought were good but she neglected to tell you that one of her strings of led lights that she decorates with around house had already run them down? (Wanna guess how I came up with that one?)

I had the LCD display on my Tx go poop once. Turned out that the screen had just gotten hot and shut down. After sitting for a day or the display came back and everything has been fine since.

Any chance that's what's happening?

triptherip 05-12-2020 02:46 PM

The batteries were brand new. I know this because I opened the pack myself today. I cant see the screen getting hot, it was only on for 15 minutes before it crapped out. But i guess anything is possible

meatmonkey 05-12-2020 03:38 PM

I'd still try another set of batteries, cause if that dont fix it I really hope you had your settings where you wanted.

triptherip 05-12-2020 07:40 PM

Tried another new set of batteries. Same thing. Is there a flysky guru on here?

Timmahh 05-12-2020 09:01 PM

These are inexpensive radios, and there are bound to be weak points. even for as nice as it is. Perhaps you can take it back to the hobby shop, unless you purchased online as many of us do. Seems you would be with in mfr warranty on it.

Sometime a little dampness can cause these less expensive radios some big issues. Probably a bad screen or solderjoint on it. maybe a bad plug on it.

Mines been ok so far. But I only put 3 packs through the rig since getting it.

triptherip 05-13-2020 03:53 AM

Yeah, i bought it online, as my lhs doesn't carry redcat. It does have a 90 day warranty on it through redcat, but i was trying to see if it was something simple i was missing maybe? Anyways, i contacted both redcat and the online retailer i bought it from, hoping to get a response soon.

ferp420 05-13-2020 06:47 AM

when you contact redcat tell them it dosent work at all they seem petty good about warrentying stuff but only if it dosent work at all
if it kinda works they seem to not be so good about it

triptherip 05-13-2020 10:38 AM

I have emailed them, but i haven't gotten any response. I also emailed the hobby store where i ordered it from, again with no response

Bob_in az 05-13-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triptherip (Post 6021994)
I have emailed them, but i haven't gotten any response. I also emailed the hobby store where i ordered it from, again with no response

Give Redcat a day or two to respond. Their customer service/warranty is great. You can always call them too.

triptherip 05-13-2020 03:07 PM

They got back to me tonight, and I sent them a video documenting my problem. Now we wait and see

triptherip 05-13-2020 08:10 PM

So, after they saw the video of my transmitter doing nothing, they are sending me a new one, free of charge. Thank you redcat!!!

Timmahh 05-13-2020 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triptherip (Post 6022139)
So, after they saw the video of my transmitter doing nothing, they are sending me a new one, free of charge. Thank you redcat!!!

Good Deal. These Brand Companies try to cover the bases.

Not what you get with a Chy-Na knock off no doubt.

triptherip 05-14-2020 03:10 AM

Yeah, im pretty happy with the whole deal.

nzrc 05-14-2020 09:20 PM

Good to hear they sorted you out! I've got 2 Flysky FS-GT5's and they've never given me any trouble

triptherip 05-15-2020 03:18 AM

I think something came loose inside. I can hear something rattling around if i shake it.

triptherip 05-20-2020 04:15 PM

Well. Recieved my flysky fs-gt5 replacement from redcat at no charge to me. Thank you very much redcat!

Timmahh 05-20-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triptherip (Post 6022495)
I think something came loose inside. I can hear something rattling around if i shake it.

If you open it up. you may find only the screen plug came off. Its possible the plug just wasn't well seated and fell out. If that's the case, bonus.

triptherip 05-20-2020 07:57 PM

Ive never opened one up before. Would it be a plug? Or is it a soldered connection?

CODYBOY 05-20-2020 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triptherip (Post 6024040)
Ive never opened one up before. Would it be a plug? Or is it a soldered connection?

It should be a plug, but that doesn't mean the wire didn't pull out of the plug. As Trump would say, "what do you have to loose". :roll::roll: crack that baby open.
Ernie