Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX5C Cant get setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2020, 06:33 PM   #1

Default DX5C Cant get setup

I ran over my Traxxas transmitter today (don't ask). Bought a DX5C on the way home and I'm getting but butt kicked trying to get it set up.

Attached is my setup. When I turn on the car, push the bind button on the receiver, then turn on the transmitter and set it to bind, everything seems to be ok. It says Binding, DSMR 11MS, Telemetry then restarts. When it restarts the steering activates the motor forward and reverse and the throttle activates the transmission servo.

Additionally, if I turn the car off and then back on, the receives automatically goes into bind mode with the light flashing quickly and the controls no longer work.

Very frustrated. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bexline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: DX5C Cant get setup

Thats an odd one, looks like the wires are correct but what you described indicates otherwise.

Try hooking up just the steering and throttle maybe, then add the rest of the channels after thats working.

Now this one is a total stab in the dark but you could try binding at a higher frame rate like 22ms, I dont know if this has an effect but I've never been able to bind anything at 11ms.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-03-2020 at 07:03 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 06:58 PM   #3

I did that. Same results other than the trigger stopped doing anything.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You did what? Sorry i was editing my post as you replied so I dont know what you read and what you did.

When you bind does the light on the receiver light up solid (not flashing). If so have you been able to calibrate the ESC?
Old 06-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
You did what? Sorry i was editing my post as you replied so I dont know what you read and what you did.

When you bind does the light on the receiver light up solid (not flashing). If so have you been able to calibrate the ESC?
I removed all but the steering and throttle.

Tried 22. same results.

I also just noticed that the light to my 1080 isn't lit up.
Old 06-03-2020, 07:23 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexline View Post

I also just noticed that the light to my 1080 isn't lit up.

That sounds very important, get that to power on then try to bind agian. I'm sure you're already on it but I had to mention it. Battery fully charged?
Old 06-03-2020, 07:28 PM   #7

Quote:
That sounds very important, get that to power on then try to bind agian. I'm sure you're already on it but I had to mention it. Battery fully charged?
Battery is charged. When I power the car back on, the ESC light is flashing and the receiver light is flashing. After I bind it, the ESC light goes out and the receiver light stays on solid. When I press the throttle or wheel, the receiver light goes out while I'm doing that function.

Disregard the ESC light. It only lights up when it's doing something.

Last edited by bexline; 06-03-2020 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 09:54 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I think you need to disable the AVC. By default, Aux 1 and Aux 2 are unavailable when the AVC is active, meaning you lose those 2 channels to control anything else. AVC should be set to "INH" but I believe this doesn't disable the AVC unless you bind the receiver with the AVC disabled.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler48 View Post
I think you need to disable the AVC. By default, Aux 1 and Aux 2 are unavailable when the AVC is active, meaning you lose those 2 channels to control anything else. AVC should be set to "INH" but I believe this doesn't disable the AVC unless you bind the receiver with the AVC disabled.
Agreed, there are a few ways to do this. I used the way where you turn down all AVC percentages down to 0%.

https://youtu.be/vG9iBY3-YJA

Also make sure the receiver is sitting completely flat when binding.
CLOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:59 AM   #10

I appreciate all the suggestions. I've tried all of that and no joy.

All I have plugged in at this point is the servo in the servo slot, esc in the throttle slot.

Turn on the esc and the receiver immediately goes into bind mode. No button, no plug necessary. Bind it to the transmitter. Transmitter reboots. Motor=Steering, nothing else does anything. If I power off the esc and turn it back on then the receiver immediately goes back into bind mode.

Do I need to do something to the 1080 esc maybe?
Old 06-04-2020, 10:24 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexline View Post
Turn on the esc and the receiver immediately goes into bind mode. No button, no plug necessary. Bind it to the transmitter. Transmitter reboots. Motor=Steering, nothing else does anything. If I power off the esc and turn it back on then the receiver immediately goes back into bind mode.

Do I need to do something to the 1080 esc maybe?

It sounds like the bind button may be stuck down, you should have to press it to get into bind mode.
You could take it out of its case to see if this button is stuck down or if the case itself is interfering. You might also want to test it outside of its case just to be sure.
Old 06-04-2020, 10:32 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
You might also want to test it outside of its case just to be sure.
Yes and possibly take off the wheels! My son was working on installing an Axe system from a rig I took it out of. When he powered it up and did the bind procedure everything seemed fine. If he powered it off, the next time he powered it on it would go full throttle forward. Well he had it on his lap, the wheel sucked up his pants, and he ended up twisting the plastic axle housing and blew up the portal gears on drivers side.

You are having odd electronic issues and HumboldtEF advice here is very sound! Just reiterating it and providing a story as to why it is good advice. I know my son will not mess around with the electronics again unless the wheels are removed.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:52 PM   #13

Figured it out.*

The instructions that came with it had the wiring order wrong on the receiver.* It shows Battery Port at the wrong end.* I moved the Steering and Throttle down one spot and all is well.* I figured it out by looking up the instructions for the receiver itself online. It showed the different wiring diagram.

Thanks for the help, appreciate the efforts.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:21 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Glad you figured it out. I just wanted to add for others, some times if you have the receiver and transmitter too close together they wont bind.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote

DX5C Cant get setup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dx5c question AWraith build Electronics 11 07-09-2021 11:23 PM
Dx5c wcdfmt510 Electronics 7 04-02-2020 11:29 AM
Did I get a bad DX5C?? skybolt Electronics 20 09-22-2018 09:53 AM
DX5C Aux 1 colind Electronics 2 02-25-2018 06:51 PM