Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Battery Charger

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2020, 02:28 PM   #1

Default Battery Charger

Knowing how dangerous these lipo batteries can be, I wanted a secure way to charge them around the house. I used a metal ammunition can.
I'm going to cover the hole i made some fire retardant fabric.
What do you think?

I already had a 3S battery explode on me in the empty can. It held up really good.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
johnrennainc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Battery Charger

Nice home made Bat Safe!
2mtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Overall, I really like it. Clean design, really good install/build.

I'd have a couple concerns if it was mine though-

How well is it vented? You should have at least a couple 1/2" holes in there for venting. If you ever do have a full blown LiPo explosion/fire, the rapid expansion of gasses can turn a sealed ammo can into a very powerful pressure bomb very quickly.

Fire retardant fabric on the on the outside of the vent to direct/control the venting seems like a really good idea.

That pigtail harness in the can scares the snot out of me. So many exposed connectors that could short out in the can. You mentioned that you've already had an incident - any chance it was related to that pigtail short circuiting? I'd recommend protecting or removing any leads you're not actively using.
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:04 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

MAYBE DON'T PLUG A LIPO INTO THAT HARNESS WHILE THAT DEANS PLUG IS AN INCH AWAY FROM CAUSING AN ELECTRICAL SHORT AGANST YOUR METAL AMMO BOX AND CAUSES A FIRE! Sweet Jesus are you still ok....
Put a Freaking cover on that Deans/T plug for the love of all that is holy!
If a lipo battery ignites in a sealed can its basically a bomb. You need some venting so the pressure can't build up. Just remove like half of that seal around the top.
And a temp sensor for that charger is like $5 then it can auto shut off, since were talking safety.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 09:36 PM   #5

The bottom pictures of the damaged can is the one that suffered a battery ignition. The battery was 6 weeks old and it had a bad cell. It was totally sealed in the can. The hard plastic shell popped open on the battery in my house on my dining room table. Thankfully I was sitting there to hear it. I placed it in the can and put it out front, 5 minutes later it went off. The can vented itself through the seems at two locations. But as you can see, it held it together very well.

I like the idea of vents, I was thinking of putting a fire retardant fabric on the inside though.

The pig tail came with the charger and honestly never gave a thought to the potential of it coming in contact with the can during the charging. In my defense the battery wasn't actually charging, just hooked up for the pictures. I will be covering them in future uses. That's the only battery that I use that pig tail for. Which will be changed tomorrow.

I didn't know about the temp sensor and would like to get that as well. I'll have to search for it.

Thank you for the advice. I will make the adjustments. I am new to the hobby and trying to be as safe as possible.

Thanks again!!

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2020, 01:57 AM   #6

This is what is left of that battery and the burn marks on the cement and rocks

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Old 05-20-2020, 03:18 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Yes, definitely make sure it's not sealed https://youtu.be/CnNId0mDnBo
nzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrennainc View Post
In my defense the battery wasn't actually charging, just hooked up for the pictures.
Doesn't matter if its charging, a dead not charging lipo will still short across those deans terminals on that dongle.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:31 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
Overall, I really like it. Clean design, really good install/build.

I'd have a couple concerns if it was mine though-

How well is it vented? You should have at least a couple 1/2" holes in there for venting. If you ever do have a full blown LiPo explosion/fire, the rapid expansion of gasses can turn a sealed ammo can into a very powerful pressure bomb very quickly.

Fire retardant fabric on the on the outside of the vent to direct/control the venting seems like a really good idea.

That pigtail harness in the can scares the snot out of me. So many exposed connectors that could short out in the can. You mentioned that you've already had an incident - any chance it was related to that pigtail short circuiting? I'd recommend protecting or removing any leads you're not actively using.

Agreed, not a fan of multi plug harness like that, they are all 'live' and can short out at any time, plus I don't need them all. I've got several dedicated pigtails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
MAYBE DON'T PLUG A LIPO INTO THAT HARNESS WHILE THAT DEANS PLUG IS AN INCH AWAY FROM CAUSING AN ELECTRICAL SHORT AGANST YOUR METAL AMMO BOX AND CAUSES A FIRE! Sweet Jesus are you still ok....
Put a Freaking cover on that Deans/T plug for the love of all that is holy!
If a lipo battery ignites in a sealed can its basically a bomb. You need some venting so the pressure can't build up. Just remove like half of that seal around the top.
And a temp sensor for that charger is like $5 then it can auto shut off, since were talking safety.

X2, also the wires outside the can are insulated buy laying across the exposed metal pass-throughs, always insulate everything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Doesn't matter if its charging, a dead not charging lipo will still short across those deans terminals on that dongle.

Yep.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:34 PM   #10

I just seen a video showing them using regular drywall to insulate the can.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:43 PM   #11

The holes that the positive and negative wires go through the can are insulated with rubber grommets. Are you referring to the actual gold plugs. I suppose I could cover them with some heat shrink.

Old 05-20-2020, 05:44 PM   #12

Glad I read this thread and watched the video posted. I quickly removed the seal from the ammo can. Lipos scare the shit out of me.
nucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:15 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucklehead View Post
Glad I read this thread and watched the video posted. I quickly removed the seal from the ammo can. Lipos scare the shit out of me.
Right! Pretty shure if it burns down the house you won't be allowed to replace them. Have to take up knitting or some $&#%!

Old 05-20-2020, 07:54 PM   #14

Can you make me one?
Count0Interrupt is offline   Reply With Quote

Battery Charger - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery/Charger ?? NiMH's w/ NiCD Charger ? 56effie Electronics 5 10-31-2014 01:23 PM
UK Version please - LOSB0862 Battery Charger & Battery. newth Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 05-26-2010 01:38 AM
*No Battery* message w/battery connected to charger? pantablo Electronics 5 03-19-2008 11:06 AM