Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HW axe 550

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2020, 10:45 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default HW axe 550

Would you get the 2700kv or the 3300kv motor? And why? My LHS has the 2700 but I was kinda wanting the 3300. Will be going in a scx10iii
josh9mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2020, 01:33 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HW axe 550

I would not buy a HW AXE anything. They don't have the power/torque/rpm/punch/lowspeed resolution of a Holmes Puller Pro.
They aren't terrible motor/esc combos. But pricey for what you get.
Mamba X and a puller pro, definitely worth the extra money.
The mamba X also gives you the aux wire adjustment that many people like, Throttle curves ability to use a ton of different motors, up to 6s compatibility....etc...
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:04 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

To answer your question:

Go with the 3300Kv motor with the SCX10 III if you go with the Axe system. Get yourself an 11T pinion as this will be pretty fast but you will be able to crawl no problem. If you have this setup and feel it is a bit faster than you like you can adjust expo in your transmitter or limit the motor to a specified percentage fwd / rev in the programming. Lastly the SCX10III has the 1:7 gears for the Transmission. My son has this system in his with these gears and it is very slow with almost 100:1 gear ratio but still gives him plenty of speed.

Voodoobrew is giving you good advice. There is nothing wrong with the Axe system. Yes it is not as powerful as other motor setups but not such a drop that you would be disappointed.

AXE:

- Yes not as powerful as other motors but again not a slouch

- Know that due to the sensor wire you can only use the Axe motor with the ESC but also is a great sealed waterproof system. If you plan to go into mud / water this system is a good choice.

- Some like the RPM / Motor matching others don't. It can be turned off however

- Great set it and forget it system although not as many tuning options as the Mamba X

- Can only run up to 3S. 3S is the battery most use. Some setup with low gear ratio and 4S. If you ever want to run past 3S skip this system.

- Not able to adjust throttle curve in ESC must be done with expo on transmitter only or limiting of the motor output in the programming

Mamba X:

- This system is most versatile as it can be used with any motor (Except Axe of course)

- Runs 3 to 6 cell lipo

- Can adjust throttle curve in ESC

- If wanting to program via bluetooth you need to buy an addon for 50.00, depending on motor this setup could be slightly more expensive initially but not enough to factor into your decision most likely.

- Great system if you want the most power / torque, more ability to program, and the ability to choose different motors
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:44 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I would not buy a HW AXE anything. They don't have the power/torque/rpm/punch/lowspeed resolution of a Holmes Puller Pro.
They aren't terrible motor/esc combos. But pricey for what you get.
Mamba X and a puller pro, definitely worth the extra money.
The mamba X also gives you the aux wire adjustment that many people like, Throttle curves ability to use a ton of different motors, up to 6s compatibility....etc...
I have a AXE 540 2300 system in my other rig and I really like it. Crawls super slow if I want it to, and has pretty good torque. Maybe they updated firmware since you used one last?
Old 06-05-2020, 07:52 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by $uicide $hift View Post
To answer your question:

Go with the 3300Kv motor with the SCX10 III if you go with the Axe system. Get yourself an 11T pinion as this will be pretty fast but you will be able to crawl no problem. If you have this setup and feel it is a bit faster than you like you can adjust expo in your transmitter or limit the motor to a specified percentage fwd / rev in the programming. Lastly the SCX10III has the 1:7 gears for the Transmission. My son has this system in his with these gears and it is very slow with almost 100:1 gear ratio but still gives him plenty of speed.

Voodoobrew is giving you good advice. There is nothing wrong with the Axe system. Yes it is not as powerful as other motor setups but not such a drop that you would be disappointed.

AXE:

- Yes not as powerful as other motors but again not a slouch

- Know that due to the sensor wire you can only use the Axe motor with the ESC but also is a great sealed waterproof system. If you plan to go into mud / water this system is a good choice.

- Some like the RPM / Motor matching others don't. It can be turned off however

- Great set it and forget it system although not as many tuning options as the Mamba X

- Can only run up to 3S. 3S is the battery most use. Some setup with low gear ratio and 4S. If you ever want to run past 3S skip this system.

- Not able to adjust throttle curve in ESC must be done with expo on transmitter only or limiting of the motor output in the programming

Mamba X:

- This system is most versatile as it can be used with any motor (Except Axe of course)

- Runs 3 to 6 cell lipo

- Can adjust throttle curve in ESC

- If wanting to program via bluetooth you need to buy an addon for 50.00, depending on motor this setup could be slightly more expensive initially but not enough to factor into your decision most likely.

- Great system if you want the most power / torque, more ability to program, and the ability to choose different motors
Thanks, I went with the 3300.

And I've dont the CC thing before, and after having 2 out of 3 CC MMM's go up in flames, I'm kinda over the whole Castle thing.
Old 06-05-2020, 08:06 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh9mile View Post
Thanks, I went with the 3300.

And I've dont the CC thing before, and after having 2 out of 3 CC MMM's go up in flames, I'm kinda over the whole Castle thing.
I hear you and felt the same way. I purchased a slightly used Mamba X with CC Slate 3800kv motor for my SCX10III from a member as it was a fair price and I wanted to try it out.

Just as you believe Voodoo should give the Axe another try (and I agree if it was before the latest firmware) you may want to check out that Mamba X whatever motor combo you want. It really is a great system. Although if Voodoo prefers the added punch / torque for his driving style the Axe is not for him.

As for me I would only buy another Axe if I knew it would live in that rig until it ends up in the bone yard or I planned on running in water and mud. I think both systems work great but I then look to the future and know that I can use brushed or brushless as well as 2S to 6S lipos. The versatility of the Mamba X system along with how well it works makes this system just a notch above the Axe. I say a notch above as for most people the Axe setup is more than they will ever need. For those that want to squeeze the max torque / punch and are the type that have multiple rigs that they may want to swap things around the Mamba X may be a better choice.

On the other hand you can waterproof a Mamba X / whatever motor system but if I was setting up a rig that would spend time in water / mud the Axe would be the system I would go with. As JRH says "nothing is completely waterproof" but the Axe system absolutely is better in this area due to that sensor cable.

Going with the 3300kv in the SCX10III is a good choice IMO. You won't regret it as this rig can be geared so low you can find your sweet spot with gearing on that 3300kv easily while maintaining a really good crawler gear ratio. Playing with the pinion and optional transmission gears you'll dial it in perfect.

I have a gear ratio calculator setup for the SCX10III you can use to see what speed changes you will see with your gear changes as well as your final drive ratio HERE

Last edited by $uicide $hift; 06-05-2020 at 08:15 AM.
$uicide $hift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:13 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

The Axe 3300kv is what you want, no reason to go lower.
ScottyPotty is offline   Reply With Quote

HW axe 550 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AXE 540 2300kv or 550 2700kv FaiHo Traxxas Crawlers 4 05-22-2020 07:05 PM
AXE 550 motor upgrade for TRX6 cbope Multi Axle Rigs 5 05-12-2020 08:22 PM
Axe 550 Guys - get in here! ScottyPotty Traxxas TRX-4 2 04-09-2020 09:14 AM
Hobbywing AXE 550 System yazfat Electronics 10 06-14-2019 10:40 AM
AXE 550 Coming soon. Teng Electronics 10 05-05-2019 10:22 PM