Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics
Loading

Notices

Thread: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 10
Default Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

So I've read through dozens of threads, many close to my question but I'm still a bit grey. I am new to the hobby since November of 2019 and currently have 2 rigs now.

I purchased a Redcat Everest 10 to see of I liked crawling which I love but also don't have alot of local areas to use for this application.

Next I bought the Losi Rock Rey for a Basher/Crawler that I could use in the back yard and when we go camping.

The stock motor cogs bad at low speed so I want to upgrade to a Sensorded Brushless system. I am happy with the factory top speed and power with the Dynamite 2800kv motor running 2s but would not go slower. I would like something very close to the same speed but not slower and also would like to keep the same battery life hopefully with the new system if possible.

Options thus far paired with Mamba X ESC

Holmes Hobbies 3500kv
Tekin Roc 412 3100kv
Castle Creations 2850kv

Question is how much faster would the HH 3500kv be and also how much would it decrease my battery life compared to my stock 2800kv? Also which motor would you recommend? I will be using mostly for trails and back yard fun but would like the ability to do some slower crawling when I find a spot for it.
BigBlock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Northeast Iowa
Posts: 131
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

holmes 3500 is my chouce. most powerful motor not just because of the kv but because holmes uses bigger and stringer magnets. how much faster is simply based on ratios. 3500/2800 equals 1.25 so the 3500 will be 125% as fast as your stock motor. you seriously will not be disappointed with it. tekin are also good motors but holmes is my choice. a holmes 540 puller pro is the same power as a 550 roc412. more power for the size and weight. pair it with a mamba x esc

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
midwest_rippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:04 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Ecuador
Posts: 137
Default Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock454 View Post
So I've read through dozens of threads, many close to my question but I'm still a bit grey. I am new to the hobby since November of 2019 and currently have 2 rigs now.

I purchased a Redcat Everest 10 to see of I liked crawling which I love but also don't have alot of local areas to use for this application.

Next I bought the Losi Rock Rey for a Basher/Crawler that I could use in the back yard and when we go camping.

The stock motor cogs bad at low speed so I want to upgrade to a Sensorded Brushless system. I am happy with the factory top speed and power with the Dynamite 2800kv motor running 2s but would not go slower. I would like something very close to the same speed but not slower and also would like to keep the same battery life hopefully with the new system if possible.

Options thus far paired with Mamba X ESC

Holmes Hobbies 3500kv
Tekin Roc 412 3100kv
Castle Creations 2850kv

Question is how much faster would the HH 3500kv be and also how much would it decrease my battery life compared to my stock 2800kv? Also which motor would you recommend? I will be using mostly for trails and back yard fun but would like the ability to do some slower crawling when I find a spot for it.

Well, the rock rey is not a crawler at all, itís a pure basher. In that case a high kv motor will work great with a 3S or 4s battery. Sensored brushless motors strain less battery and you will have an rc bullet.
In the case of your crawler, it depends on the gearing, but the Castle 2850kv is very very smooth in low speed crawling and also gives you a very good top speed (if you can find one), Iíve been looking for it for a while with no luck.
Holmes Hobbies also makes really good motors, you canít go wrong with any of them, Castle or HH. I have use both and I love them.
Mr. Crawley EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 10
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Thanks for the feedback the 125% helps as well. The Holmes Hobbies is what I'm favouring based on other threads and reviews. I had also messaged Holmes Hobbies multiple times but never got responses so I decided to use the forum. I've never changed motors so I don't have any experience with battery life and speed changes with different kv motors. I was hoping Holmes Hobbies would have something around the 3000kv but I only see 2700 then 3500.
BigBlock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 10
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

I know the Rock Rey is not an ideal crawler but I have seen Youtube clips of people still having fun on the rocks with them after adjusting some of the diff fluids etc and adding Sensored systems. It has fairly tall soft tires which should help. I always have my other crawler for the strict crawl sections which I have done a number of upgrades to make better already. In the future I want to buy a Axial Capra, I love the look and way they crawl. Not as scale but that's ok for me. Not alot of competition crawler stuff in my location. Alberta Canada.
BigBlock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:28 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Ecuador
Posts: 137
Default Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock454 View Post
I know the Rock Rey is not an ideal crawler but I have seen Youtube clips of people still having fun on the rocks with them after adjusting some of the diff fluids etc and adding Sensored systems. It has fairly tall soft tires which should help. I always have my other crawler for the strict crawl sections which I have done a number of upgrades to make better already. In the future I want to buy a Axial Capra, I love the look and way they crawl. Not as scale but that's ok for me. Not alot of competition crawler stuff in my location. Alberta Canada.

I have a Capra and when you have one the last thing you care about is the scale looks. Itís so much fun!!
I have a Capra, a Toyzuki v2.5 comp build and a very upgraded SCX24. I really like them all but my favorite is the capra by far!
Mr. Crawley EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:32 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 10
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crawley EC View Post
I have a Capra and when you have one the last thing you care about is the scale looks. Itís so much fun!!
I have a Capra, a Toyzuki v2.5 comp build and a very upgraded SCX24. I really like them all but my favorite is the capra by far!
Yepp Capra will be my next rig after upgrading my Rock Rey. I already have a list of parts and upgrades I will want for a Capra when I buy one.
BigBlock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 10
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

If I buy a higher channel Transmitter and Receiver can I setup a button or switch to toggle on/off crawler mode or rather drag brake? Using Mamba X ESC.
BigBlock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Ecuador
Posts: 137
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock454 View Post
If I buy a higher channel Transmitter and Receiver can I setup a button or switch to toggle on/off crawler mode or rather drag brake? Using Mamba X ESC.

I have it set for the drag brake with my Flysky GT-5 and Mamba X. Yes you can with te aux channel connector.
Mr. Crawley EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:41 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: US
Posts: 2,203
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

As chance has it, not only do a happen to have all three motors, albeit, in the different vehicles, but all three just happen to be paired with a Mamba X. The Castle I've got in my first Capra (on a 9T pinion, inside a Vitavon aluminum machined transmission housing), built as a "having fun rock/trail crawler". The HH PP is in the second Capra, built as a Class 3 comp crawler (tho, the transmission is an AX10 3-gear, not the Capra trans). As for the ROC412 HD, that's inside my Baja Rey, the "kissin' cousin" of your Rock Rey.

Considering the similarities between the Rock Rey & Baja Rey, as well as what these two vehicles are intended for (they're NOT crawlers, and they're NOT designed to go slow), I truly believe you'll be happiest with the ROC412 HD 3100kV. Granted, I'm running 3S, plus I've beefed up my Baja Rey for hard off-road use under 3S...but, it's the motor best designed for this type of vehicle.

The Castle has more than adequate torque, but where it shines is in its speed. Conversely, the HH PP has more than adequate speed, but the torque is where is shines. The ROC412 HD is what I call "baby bear"...it's 'just right' - it has a really, really good balance between the torque AND speed.


~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:42 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 10
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Crawley EC View Post
I have it set for the drag brake with my Flysky GT-5 and Mamba X. Yes you can with te aux channel connector.
Perfect! The Flysky GT-5 is also the same as I was already looking at lol
BigBlock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 10
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
As chance has it, not only do a happen to have all three motors, albeit, in the different vehicles, but all three just happen to be paired with a Mamba X. The Castle I've got in my first Capra (on a 9T pinion, inside a Vitavon aluminum machined transmission housing), built as a "having fun rock/trail crawler". The HH PP is in the second Capra, built as a Class 3 comp crawler (tho, the transmission is an AX10 3-gear, not the Capra trans). As for the ROC412 HD, that's inside my Baja Rey, the "kissin' cousin" of your Rock Rey.

Considering the similarities between the Rock Rey & Baja Rey, as well as what these two vehicles are intended for (they're NOT crawlers, and they're NOT designed to go slow), I truly believe you'll be happiest with the ROC412 HD 3100kV. Granted, I'm running 3S, plus I've beefed up my Baja Rey for hard off-road use under 3S...but, it's the motor best designed for this type of vehicle.

The Castle has more than adequate torque, but where it shines is in its speed. Conversely, the HH PP has more than adequate speed, but the torque is where is shines. The ROC412 HD is what I call "baby bear"...it's 'just right' - it has a really, really good balance between the torque AND speed.


~ More peace, love, laughter, & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place
Awesome, muchly appreciate the feedback.
BigBlock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Ecuador
Posts: 137
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock454 View Post
Perfect! The Flysky GT-5 is also the same as I was already looking at lol

Have used it for more than a year now, really really good and very affordable (transmitter and receivers).
Mr. Crawley EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 10
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Thanks everyone so far for the replies. Last question would be on the servo for the Rock Rey.

My top choices are:

Reefs 444
Savox 1210
Hitec 795_

Favor the Reefs because it appears quiet. The Hitec seems to have a constant noise which I don't like. Savox I've seen used alot but unsure if it's as good as the Reefs.

All are difficult to find here in Alberta. Or so it seems thus far. Also alot more money then they are in the US.
BigBlock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 12:20 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Ecuador
Posts: 137
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlock454 View Post
Thanks everyone so far for the replies. Last question would be on the servo for the Rock Rey.

My top choices are:

Reefs 444
Savox 1210
Hitec 795_

Favor the Reefs because it appears quiet. The Hitec seems to have a constant noise which I don't like. Savox I've seen used alot but unsure if it's as good as the Reefs.

All are difficult to find here in Alberta. Or so it seems thus far. Also alot more money then they are in the US.

Iíve been using 3brothers G13, Holmes Hobbies and JX (yes, the Chinese ones) and had no problem at all.
Mr. Crawley EC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2020, 10:54 PM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 10
Default Re: Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv

Savox seemed like the only Servos readily available nearby so I called Savox and asked them directly which to use for my application. They recommended a Savox 1283. I have purchased and installed it. Night and day difference to the stock servo. I do believe it could use an external BEC but I may milk it until I purchase the Mamba X.
BigBlock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
castle creations, holmes hobbies, losi, rock rey, tekin



Tekin, Castle or Holmes and at which Kv - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin, castle and Holmes oh my! Ghonda99 Electronics 31 09-28-2019 09:41 AM
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 RCCrawler.com