Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: RadioLink has released a Version 2 of the RC6GS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2020, 01:47 PM   #1

Default RadioLink has released a Version 2 of the RC6GS

Apologies if it is already known.

You won't find it advertised for sale, but it's shipping from Amazon now. I picked one up last week and, happily, received the V2, even though the listing is still for a V1.

I have seen several videos on this radio, but nothing so far on the v2 (which apparently is a brand new thing). I have uploaded pictures of the new version of this radio here. Purchase here, MAKE SURE it is sold by RadioLink Direct, fulfilled by Amazon.

I'll be making a video soon, but in the meantime I wanted to put the word out for those who are considering it.

I'm very impressed. For a Budget radio this thing is LOADED with features. I just set up my first rig on it (Axial SCX 10.3) and it was very intuitive. Menu navigation is a bit cumbersome with the buttons rather than the roller I have on my DX5R (which is my primary radio), but other than that it's very simple to navigate and configure.

The Version 2 is clearly a direct result of community feedback. They fixed every major gripe anyone had with this radio. The specific updates are as follows:

The trigger position has been updated. Though I did not have version 1 of this product I know many people felt the trigger was in a bad location and was difficult to reach. Version 2's trigger is in a very natural position for me. I have very big hands but not long fingers so trigger position is important for me. The V2 trigger is in a perfect location.

'Updated' the FPV holder hole (aka mount). This is a standard screw-in type mount used for many digital recording devices. It's located on the top of the radio beneath a rubber plug. The location, directly behind the antenna, could require some creative mounting solutions for some cameras, but this is still a fantastic feature.

Added a Lanyard mount on the back of the radio. I don't know if the v1 included a lanyard or not but the v2 does and the mount is in a great spot right on the back of the radio. My DX5R cost 3.5 times as much and did not include a lanyard (or a mount that is in a good location).

Updated the handle shape. This is another change aimed at ergonomics. Without a version 1 to compare it to it's difficult for me to pinpoint the changes in this one. It appears, however that they altered the top of the grip of the radio (I would call this the neck) to be more ergonomic. The radio fits very well in my hand and feels comfortable.
Most important, they added two switches A, and D, to the handle where they are easily accessible without changing your grip on the radio. This means in my 10.3 I have dig and two speed control whenever I want it without needing to alter my grip on the radio. The lack of switches on the handle where they were easily accessible was THE reason I was going to go with the GT5 for my secondary radio. Luckily for me they were all sold out in the US so I decided to give the RadioLink a try. BTW if you are into the no-prep drag scene switch A or D would be PERFECT to run your two-step off of ;).

As best I can tell the Version 2 (V2) is not even being advertised, the Amazon store I bought from shows the V1, but they sent the V2. I knew something was up when I saw the switches on the handle. I found a small card inside congratulating me on getting the V2 product and offering me a return should I be upset I did not get the version I was expecting. FORGET THAT, this thing is great!
Range is great, though I have not put it to any extreme testing. Modulation on the throttle is good and the expo settings really let you get that low-speed control dialed. The mixing options are insane, and the thing is just easy to use. It's very responsive, easily as fast as my 5R in crawling use (I have not used it on a racing buggy to test that yet). It has every feature you would ever need in a crawler and then some.
There are a few things I don't love. First it takes 6AA batteries, S I X , why in the world has no reviewer mentioned this? That's 50% more batteries than any other radio I have requires. You do have the option to use a rechargeable pack in there instead, but I've always thought that was more trouble than it's worth, this radio may change my mind. In theory, more voltage should equal more range, so that's a potential plus. The LCD screen looks a bit dated, it's MUCH better than the GT5, but not nearly as nice as the higher end radios. The default contrast settings are not good, once the backlight goes out (after a minute or so) it's difficult to read the screen (but do you really need to?). I bet there is a way to adjust this I just have not found it yet. I was not thrilled with the weight at first, even with 6 batteries it is very light, which, to me, feels cheap. However, the more I think about it, on a long trail run that light weight would save a ton of fatigue, especially if you mount a camera to it and are holding your arms out to film. Jury's still out on that I suppose. Finally, it looks a bit dated. This reminds me of high end radios from a decade ago (like the DX3C)

For the money this radio is OUTSTANDING. Actually, I would say this radio is OUTSTANDING even if you set aside the inexpensive price tag. With the updated version fixing all of the major flaws I think it's easily the go-to budget radio. I was going to buy a FlySky GT5 and compare the two, but honestly, I don't see any reason to bother. The RadioLink has more features for the same money, cheaper receivers, more customization, and I have found FlySky to have significant issues in the past (though I have not tried the GT5 which is apparently better).
IronOKie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RadioLink has released a Version 2 of the RC6GS

Quote:
it takes 6AA batteries, S I X , why in the world has no reviewer mentioned this?
Well, it was already 6 AA on the V1 ... and the very few pics or videos clearly show 6 batteries on the V2 so no surprise. Voltage ranging from 4.8v to 15v, you can choose to get a 4 AA battery tray instead, should work but I guess you'll lose some range.

https://www.banggood.com/Radiolink-R...r_warehouse=CN

tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:22 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Damn i need it now...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
Well, it was already 6 AA on the V1 ... and the very few pics or videos clearly show 6 batteries on the V2 so no surprise. Voltage ranging from 4.8v to 15v, you can choose to get a 4 AA battery tray instead, should work but I guess you'll lose some range.

https://www.banggood.com/Radiolink-R...r_warehouse=CN

Good find, thank you. The way that radio keeps popping on screen at the start of the video makes it look like it's creeping on the SCX10.

I don't mind the 6 batteries, I was just surprised since I have not seen it called out anywhere before.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Too bad they took the opportunity to switch to a fixed antenna ... but the 2 new buttons are a nice addition, as the lanyard hole.
Old 07-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
Too bad they took the opportunity to switch to a fixed antenna ... but the 2 new buttons are a nice addition, as the lanyard hole.

It still folds down!
Old 07-17-2020, 04:57 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Sorry forgot a word ... indented to write "too bad they didn't took ..." folding antenna is really a thing of the past ...
Old 07-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronOKie View Post
Apologies if it is already known.

You won't find it advertised for sale, but it's shipping from Amazon now. I picked one up last week and, happily, received the V2, even though the listing is still for a V1.

I have seen several videos on this radio, but nothing so far on the v2 (which apparently is a brand new thing). I have uploaded pictures of the new version of this radio here. Purchase here, MAKE SURE it is sold by RadioLink Direct, fulfilled by Amazon.

I'll be making a video soon, but in the meantime I wanted to put the word out for those who are considering it.

I'm very impressed. For a Budget radio this thing is LOADED with features. I just set up my first rig on it (Axial SCX 10.3) and it was very intuitive. Menu navigation is a bit cumbersome with the buttons rather than the roller I have on my DX5R (which is my primary radio), but other than that it's very simple to navigate and configure.

The Version 2 is clearly a direct result of community feedback. They fixed every major gripe anyone had with this radio. The specific updates are as follows:

The trigger position has been updated. Though I did not have version 1 of this product I know many people felt the trigger was in a bad location and was difficult to reach. Version 2's trigger is in a very natural position for me. I have very big hands but not long fingers so trigger position is important for me. The V2 trigger is in a perfect location.

'Updated' the FPV holder hole (aka mount). This is a standard screw-in type mount used for many digital recording devices. It's located on the top of the radio beneath a rubber plug. The location, directly behind the antenna, could require some creative mounting solutions for some cameras, but this is still a fantastic feature.

Added a Lanyard mount on the back of the radio. I don't know if the v1 included a lanyard or not but the v2 does and the mount is in a great spot right on the back of the radio. My DX5R cost 3.5 times as much and did not include a lanyard (or a mount that is in a good location).

Updated the handle shape. This is another change aimed at ergonomics. Without a version 1 to compare it to it's difficult for me to pinpoint the changes in this one. It appears, however that they altered the top of the grip of the radio (I would call this the neck) to be more ergonomic. The radio fits very well in my hand and feels comfortable.
Most important, they added two switches A, and D, to the handle where they are easily accessible without changing your grip on the radio. This means in my 10.3 I have dig and two speed control whenever I want it without needing to alter my grip on the radio. The lack of switches on the handle where they were easily accessible was THE reason I was going to go with the GT5 for my secondary radio. Luckily for me they were all sold out in the US so I decided to give the RadioLink a try. BTW if you are into the no-prep drag scene switch A or D would be PERFECT to run your two-step off of ;).

As best I can tell the Version 2 (V2) is not even being advertised, the Amazon store I bought from shows the V1, but they sent the V2. I knew something was up when I saw the switches on the handle. I found a small card inside congratulating me on getting the V2 product and offering me a return should I be upset I did not get the version I was expecting. FORGET THAT, this thing is great!
Range is great, though I have not put it to any extreme testing. Modulation on the throttle is good and the expo settings really let you get that low-speed control dialed. The mixing options are insane, and the thing is just easy to use. It's very responsive, easily as fast as my 5R in crawling use (I have not used it on a racing buggy to test that yet). It has every feature you would ever need in a crawler and then some.
There are a few things I don't love. First it takes 6AA batteries, S I X , why in the world has no reviewer mentioned this? That's 50% more batteries than any other radio I have requires. You do have the option to use a rechargeable pack in there instead, but I've always thought that was more trouble than it's worth, this radio may change my mind. In theory, more voltage should equal more range, so that's a potential plus. The LCD screen looks a bit dated, it's MUCH better than the GT5, but not nearly as nice as the higher end radios. The default contrast settings are not good, once the backlight goes out (after a minute or so) it's difficult to read the screen (but do you really need to?). I bet there is a way to adjust this I just have not found it yet. I was not thrilled with the weight at first, even with 6 batteries it is very light, which, to me, feels cheap. However, the more I think about it, on a long trail run that light weight would save a ton of fatigue, especially if you mount a camera to it and are holding your arms out to film. Jury's still out on that I suppose. Finally, it looks a bit dated. This reminds me of high end radios from a decade ago (like the DX3C)

For the money this radio is OUTSTANDING. Actually, I would say this radio is OUTSTANDING even if you set aside the inexpensive price tag. With the updated version fixing all of the major flaws I think it's easily the go-to budget radio. I was going to buy a FlySky GT5 and compare the two, but honestly, I don't see any reason to bother. The RadioLink has more features for the same money, cheaper receivers, more customization, and I have found FlySky to have significant issues in the past (though I have not tried the GT5 which is apparently better).

I ordered the Radiolink radio about 2 months ago from an Ebay Seller. It was advertised as coming with the R6FG rx Which I think is the v1, but it came with the new R7FG receiver with the Battery Telemetry to read the voltage on the Rx Battery pack and transmit it to the TX to show on the screen. I got ordered it about Mid April and it arrived before the end of the month, coming out of China no less. I do have the V1 Radio as my handle does not have the thumb buttons on it.
Bummer. Perhaps I could exchange it. lol Might have to buy another one, and just sell this one. just for those moved thumb buttons.

Only my Nomadio React had this Capability 10 years ago as part of the stock radio setup, and it was a 350.00 radio system. I paid 68.00 on Ebay for the setup after submitting an offer and 2 counter offers. It was listed for 71.99 in the Ebay ad.

I just checked the pics you linked, and they are Identical to the unit I have.

I agree, the capabilities of this radio far outdo what the Nomadio React did.
I never had the Nomadio Sensor which was more capable so cant say much about it in comparison. But this Radio is great.

Fwiw, My React was also a "lightweight" radio but was very capable.

Yes the 6 batteries will increase the power thus the range.
I picked up a 3s 2200 lipo pack for it.
Yes, this radio can run directly off of 3S with NO BEC!
BONER on that feature.

Don't need that much range (stated to be 600 meters aka 1800 feet) drawing, but for a big Go Fast rig like a Baja 5B/5T BBXL etc, and out at the dunes, that distance would be OUTSTANDING. My React did way better for range and connectivity on the rolling dunes than other folks. I suspect this Radiolink will also out perform others.

Every channel can be mixed. Not just a few.

Every button can be assigned. There are almost no limits on how you can setup and use this Radio. And the 7RFG rxs with the battery telemetry readout on the TX is Sweet to have.

Just need to check the screen for your Rig Voltage.

I concur with most of the 'could be better' comments, but the weight one.
I get a light radio may seem cheap, but there is a difference in Cheap and Inexpensive, and this radio is clearly in the Inexpensive category.

Ya the shape does appear to be very similar to an old Spectrum from 2008/08 era. lol

None the less, I like it, maybe better than the Flysky GT5 I got with the RedCat Axe Rig. It too is a nice radio, but overall, I do think I prefer the Radiolink.

I still have my React (2 actually). But they are limited to 4 channels. I will probably use them, on on the resurrected DTX450 Bike, and one on the "Class 0" Daily Driver SSD/RC4WD Blazer Rig, as it will be pretty much a Stock '76 Blazer so only need 3 chnls with the 3rd being for lights.

But yes, I have been setting up the Radio link for my other rigs.
I have 4 R7FG receivers and may order 2 more to have a spare or 2.

Last edited by Timmahh; 07-17-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:13 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

i just received my radio after following the link provided. sure enough the page makes no mention of V2 but that is what i received. can’t wait to get this installed, although i still havent bought the kit that it will be going in.
splyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:18 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronOKie View Post
MAKE SURE it is sold by RadioLink Direct, fulfilled by Amazon.[/COLOR]
I ordered my radio from Radiolink Direct through Amazon on Friday, received it yesterday and it was a V1. Most of the changes aren't that useful to me but the new grip is intriguing since the V1 handle is a bit chunky.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:29 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

....and with the latest firmware (6.1.2) they add the cruise control function to the idle settings, where you can assign the SwA button to activate a certain amount (%) of forward throttle, basically by pressing the switch you could then focus on the steering and the throttle is set for the preset amount. I wish they give options to also use the SwD for that since I use the SwA for my light, but I guess since the V1 don't have SwD this function is limited only to SwA
Yudi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yudi13 View Post
....and with the latest firmware (6.1.2) they add the cruise control function to the idle settings, where you can assign the SwA button to activate a certain amount (%) of forward throttle, basically by pressing the switch you could then focus on the steering and the throttle is set for the preset amount. I wish they give options to also use the SwD for that since I use the SwA for my light, but I guess since the V1 don't have SwD this function is limited only to SwA

I just ordered another Radio with added RC7FG receiver from Radiolink Direct fulfilled by Amazon Sunday and it will be here today. I hope it is the V2 radio with the buttons on the handle. I have the v1 already. Will be returning it for a V2 if it is a V1 radio.

Only reason I ordered it was to get the handle button options and the SwD switch would be a great thing to have.

Will find out later when the mail is delivered.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Can anyone with the V2 take a look and see if the 4 wheel steer options have been improved? I opted for GT5 because of this.

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote

RadioLink has released a Version 2 of the RC6GS - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radiolink tx/rx Frank211 Electronics 72 10-21-2020 05:48 PM
Radiolink RC4GS oldblue2010 Electronics 6 09-13-2020 01:25 PM
Flysky FS-GT5 vs Radiolink RC6GS SF RC24 Electronics 11 07-02-2020 05:36 PM
RadioLink T6EHP-E adamargue Electronics 0 02-06-2011 12:04 PM