Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor question for a Telluride crawler, trail, basher truck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2023, 04:32 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Motor question for a Telluride crawler, trail, basher truck?

I started building a Telluride out of my Stampede 4x4. I already have a modded TRX-4 Sport and a custom built Wroncho. I'm wanting something different. I'm using parts I already have except the motor. I have a Hobbywing 1080 and 1060 ESC. I recently came acrossed OSRC's thread on his Telly and it gave me even more inspiration and direction.

I'll be running the truck on 3s. The front diff will be locked and the rear will be filled with silicone ear plugs so it will slip slightly. I want the truck to be able to crawl, but also have enough speed to be fun (jumping obstacles, curbs, and mild bashing). An all around type of truck.

Here's a video to give you an idea. The first is more rock bouncing/bashing. The second is OSRC's Telly crawling. What motor would work for this type of driving?

https://youtu.be/Uv4-hN_bFA8

https://youtu.be/m0NMhtfcAcc

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Last edited by MaX-D; 03-12-2023 at 09:08 PM.
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2023, 07:58 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Motor question for a Telluride crawler, trail, basher truck?

Ah, couldn't find the thread, sent you a pm.

With the stock diff gears, 4.75ish tires and the biggest spur gear, your gearing is anywhere from 13:1 to 8:1... really, any kind of crawling or decent trail running is out of the question with that ratio. Using a 3:1 reduction brings you down to ~ 41:1 to about 25:1 which is much better and kind of a must to bring it into trail truck range gear-wise.

Using a 5 pole motor worked out great for me as the low end smoothness you get from a 5-pole helped quite a bit with the hish-ish ratios. I didn't try any 3 poles like a Trailmaster, but I'm sure they'd work out ok and might be a bit better if you are looking for a bit more speed. If your planning more higher speeds, I'd look at a Trailmaster - if you'd rather prioritize slower speed work, I'd recommend a Crawlmaster. Then fine tune with the pinion from there.

From my experience, I used a 16t Crawlmaster on 3S and it was great on the trail and had enough pop to launch off some rocks here and there. Really wasn't fast per-se but it was super smooth.

Either way, I'd stay brushed. My 3:1 unit gets a bit warm - could be heat coming over from the motor, but I'm not sure it would stand up to brushless anything for very long if you're hammering on it. I'm running one with an Outrunner and it seems to be handling the torque ok, but I've only used it strictly for rock crawling with super deep gearing. Haven't geared it for trail duty yet.

Curious to hear what you end up with and how it works out for you.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 03:07 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I plan to put the stock brushed 47/12 ring and pinion in to help out with gearing and motor temps. From what I understand it's a 25% reduction.

Old 03-13-2023, 03:09 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I had thought about taking the Maclan 13.5t sensored of my stadium truck and throw it in. Just gear it low. I thought better of it though.

Old 03-14-2023, 07:49 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

ah, right -sorry, had Slash 4x4 in my head for some reason. They will definitely make a nice difference, I just ordered a second set for my trail rig. Cramming in the smallest pinion will get you down to to about 19.1:1 or so - not terrible. OK maybe for the trail, and some mild bashing but still a bit high for any kind of real crawling. Might be close to what you are looking for though, it's right in the middle of the gearing range.
Old 03-15-2023, 07:45 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
ah, right -sorry, had Slash 4x4 in my head for some reason. They will definitely make a nice difference, I just ordered a second set for my trail rig. Cramming in the smallest pinion will get you down to to about 19.1:1 or so - not terrible. OK maybe for the trail, and some mild bashing but still a bit high for any kind of real crawling. Might be close to what you are looking for though, it's right in the middle of the gearing range.
I figured I would go with a 56t Jato spur and 9t pinion. We'll see how it goes.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:38 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I fired off an email to Holmes Hobby. My question was this.

Dear John, I'm building a Telluride trail, Basher, crawler rig on 3s lipo. I would like it to be fast enough to be fun (able to jump small obstacles, ramps, curbs, etc), but still be able to do some mild rock crawling. I would like to stay brushed. What would you recommend? Thanks.

Their response,

The type and turn count of the Titan is already optimal for a brushed motor for bashing but leaves a lot to be desired for low speed modulation.
I'm not 100% on whether this would be a great choice as I haven't tried anything close, but our Crawlmaster SPort 550 8T has a ball bearing on the output shaft for increased life and efficiency and our magnets test stronger and more consistently across their face than the Titan. You will see noticeable improvement in low speed modulation due to its 5 slot configuration but you will see a lower Kv of about 2300Kv. This Motor Recommendations page may help? if you order a brushed motor, select to have the leads installed. THey are 4mm gold bullets but are compatible with the XL-5 3.5mm female connectors.
Your goals are kind of all over the place for a brushed setup. The only way to check all those boxes is a sensored brushless inrunner, our Puller Pro Standard V2 paired to a Copperhead 10 or Mamba X.

Old 03-17-2023, 05:41 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaX-D View Post
I figured I would go with a 56t Jato spur and 9t pinion. We'll see how it goes.

I've heard that spur can fit with a bit of trimming, I haven't tried it though. Curious how it works out!
Old 03-18-2023, 07:34 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
I've heard that spur can fit with a bit of trimming, I haven't tried it though. Curious how it works out!
I've heard the same thing. I'm going to give it a go. I'll keep you posted.

Old 03-18-2023, 01:41 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

I could definitely use more gearing on my Slash.... I think I'm at 12/54 IIRC giving me a roughly 53:1 ratio. With nearly 6" tires on it, I'd like a little more gearing.

Let me know know you make out!
Old 03-18-2023, 01:57 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
I could definitely use more gearing on my Slash.... I think I'm at 12/54 IIRC giving me a roughly 53:1 ratio. With nearly 6" tires on it, I'd like a little more gearing.

Let me know know you make out!
Will do.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:53 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I've decided I'm going to try a Maclan 13.5t sensored motor (3100kv) with a Hobbywing 120a esc. 56/9 gearing to start. I'll give both 2s and 3s a go. If this doesn't work, I'll try something else. I like to experiment.

Old 03-26-2023, 09:08 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I realized that the maclan 13.5t motor is a two pole motor. Will this be a problem? If so, I have a Tekin Gen1 RX8 and a pro4 4600 KV sensored combo that I can pull out of another truck. What say you?

Old 03-27-2023, 05:38 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I'd run it and see. All part of the experiment. You're at about 26:1 gear ratio if my math is right, should be plenty of speed and torque either way.
Old 03-27-2023, 06:51 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
I'd run it and see. All part of the experiment. You're at about 26:1 gear ratio if my math is right, should be plenty of speed and torque either way.
Thanks. I'll give it a go. What should the gear ratio be for a rig like this? Any idea? I have no clue. I just gear down and volt up.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:33 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I want the truck to be able to crawl, but also have enough speed to be fun (jumping obstacles, curbs, and mild bashing). An all around type of truck.
Quote:
Thanks. I'll give it a go. What should the gear ratio be for a rig like this? Any idea? I have no clue.
Don't know, it's a subjective question. It's all based on your expectations. I'd say you're right in the middle gearing-wise, maybe a bit closer to a Slash (12ish:1) than a Crawler (40:1 and up). It's a decent place to start since you want to bash around and jump.

Bolt it in, see how you like it, and go from there.
Old 03-27-2023, 03:54 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Holmes Hobbies 2200kv motor. best of both worlds.
xxlostonexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:20 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlostonexx View Post
Holmes Hobbies 2200kv motor. best of both worlds.
That's a great idea, but I don't want to spend that kind of money on a motor. Tempting though.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:21 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Aliexpress has that range size and kv motors for <30$ not bad imho.
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor question for a Telluride crawler, trail, basher truck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My take on a Telluride Trail Truck John82601 Traxxas Crawlers 60 02-02-2016 11:03 AM
shash based trail truck or what the telluride should be.. stevem50 Non Crawler RC's 7 05-12-2014 06:35 PM
Independent sus. Maxx Trail truck/crawler/basher Vitamin_J Traxxas Crawlers 12 05-11-2005 10:35 PM